• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxo Please Help!

Hey guys
for the last few hours i've been reading this forum over anything on myxo. I have a problem i've lost 7 rabbits to myxomitosis ,as they got it really bad .

One of my girls seems reasonably ok,but she has just started to show symptoms of myxo,well two of my rabbits Boo, & Pippi i wouldn't be able to bare to lose either of them ,i think i'd give up on rabbits completely if i did. Boo is the most amazing little girl,she's a blue otter,and ive loved her since the day she was born,Pippi is a big boofhead witha amazing personality..

I live too far away from the vets,and i was wondering what i could do. I do have some human Zinnat here, antibiotic, which according to http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/infections/medicines/100002854.html it is designed to treat

Bacterial infections of the lungs (chest or lower respiratory tract), eg acute bronchitis, pneumonia
Bacterial infection of the nasal passages, sinuses or throat (upper respiratory tract infection), eg sinusitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, tonsillitis
Bacterial infections of the ear, eg otitis media
Bacterial infections of the urinary tract, eg cystitis, inflammation of the urethra due to infection (urethritis), kidney infections (pyelonephritis)
Gonorrhoea
Inflammation of the cervix due to bacterial infection (cervicitis)
Bacterial infections of the skin or soft tissue, eg boils, abscesses, impetigo
Lyme disease.

So i think it may be good for treating myxomitosis,I've started Pippi on some.. I just need any tips,encouragements,help words of wisdoms,stories or anything that may be able to help me help my precious baby girls beat this cruel disease.. I wish i had of found this site before my other babies passed.. I appreciate this!,I know alot about rabbits,i've been called the walking rabbit encylopedia , just when it comes to myxo i'm out of my depth

Any of your help would be amazing:love::love::love::love::love::love: And i appreciatee it ALOT!!!!
xxxxxxxxx

How far is too far away?

I'm not exactly an expert but i'd be worried about using human medicine on rabbits. The dosage etc will be all wrong :?

:shock: FAR then :(

Some of the girls on here are clued up about meds so hopefully one of them will come on soon and help you. Maybe if you changed the title of your thread and add that you can not get to a vet it will get a few more responses.

I'm sorry i couldn't help more. :(

I do not know a great deal about MYxo and to be honest I pray I never will have to.
Are your bunnies vaccinated?
A vaccinated bunny stands a much better chance of survival if myxo is contracted and the correct treatment delivered immediatly however I believe the survival rates are signficantly lower in an unvaccinated bunny. :(
I can not comment on the medication you mention, but I really would urge you to at least call an emergency vets and see if there is anything they can do, maybe they could make a home visit, yes it will cost a small fortune but in my opinion it would be well worth the money if it meant they could help your babies.
All I can recommend is that you keep her warm and comfortable.
Hopefully someone with better knoledge will be along soon.

I do not know a great deal about MYxo and to be honest I pray I never will have to.
A vaccinated bunny stands a much better chance of survival if myxo is contracted and the correct treatment delivered immediatly however I believe the survival rates are signficantly lower in an unvaccinated bunny. :(
I can not comment on the medication you mention, but I really would urge you to at least call an emergency vets and see if there is anything they can do, maybe they could make a home visit, yes it will cost a small fortune but in my opinion it would be well worth the money if it meant they could help your babies.

The OP is in Australia, there is no Myxi Vaccine in Australia

Could you telephone the Vet to seek advice ?

We cannot tell you to administer a prescription drug that is not even licenced for use in Rabbits. But the Vet may be able to do so.

I am sorry about your Rabbits :cry:

Last edited:

Thankyou heaps for your reply,it means ALOT:).
The really silly thing is that in Australia,the myxo vaccine is actually illegal . Its wrather annoying,as they're is nothing i can do to prevent my babies from picking it up . Especially when they adore they're huge outdoor runs!. I cover them up well,and they only have water bottles as mozzies r attracted to water .

I appreciate your reply,heaps,fingers crossed my babies survive,Pippi looks a bit better,she ate her dinner tonight,and was a bit more bouncy,she has only had one dose of the medication,but she's getting a bit better, i dont no what i'd do if she left me,her bouncyness,and in general goofyness and her complete nature,just makes seeing her a complete utter delight:love:

We cannot tell you to administer a prescription drug that is not even licenced for use in Rabbits. But the Vet may be able to do so.

How ridiculous! :shock:

How far is too far away?

I'm not exactly an expert but i'd be worried about using human medicine on rabbits. The dosage etc will be all wrong :?

I agree, human medicine will probably be too strong. I would read Parsnipbun's thread on Myxi, will try and find the link

I'm so sorry to say this and I know it's not your fault as you physically cannot vaccinate but I think the chances for survival are very slim in an unvaccinated bun :cry: make sure she is warm and comfortable and try ringing a vet for advice.

Its horrible that no myxo vaccination is available,i could always pack my bags and ship my bubbies over to America get vaccinated and come home. I can only wish .... These 2 little girls,as well as my other bunnies make life worth living it brings tears to my eyes ,seeing them like this,But Pippi does look a bit brighter after some medication,she's getting theyre,i do not no weather it would work,but i can only hope. She ate her dinner tonight,wich she hasnt been so keen on of late. I hope they're both ok in the morning:)

Thankyou a tonne for your reply,i feel gifted to have found a loving forum abound with rabbit lovers alike
x

Oh how upsetting for you.

I hope that they manage to fight this. I have heard of a small amount of people that have had bunnies fight myxi years ago when it was not common practice to get vaccinated. I just hope that this miracle happens for you x

Last edited:
I am no expert but felt I had to say I am thinking of you in this awful situation. I hope you find a resolution xxx

Oh how upsetting for you.

I hope that they manage to fight this. I have heard of a small amount of people that have had bunnies fight myxi years ago when it was not common practice to get vaccinated. I just hope that this miracle happens for you x

Thankyou,your kind words mean alot to me,and any good vibes are good for the girls :love: . Its stupid,that the vaccine is illegal in Australia:(

Just checked 100km is only about 60miles, a bun can travel that distance, i know it ios far for a poorly bun, but surely is you speak to a vet you could maybe pick up some drugs? Do you not have anyone that could take you?
I travelled about 80miles to take my Herbie to the Vet Hospital recently with a broken foot (herbie had the broken foot, not me!)

I am no expert but felt I had to say I am thinking of you in this awful situation. I hope you find a resolution xxx

Thankyou a million times over,for your sweet words,I'm trying super duper hard with them . I love them so much,yet it seems no matter what i do i'm not getting far,fingers crossed my girls pull through..x

its such a distressing disease and i think it is awful the vaccination is illeagal in oz. i realised as soon as i saw your location that they couldnt be vaccs, and that too far would be a huge distance.
normally a myxi bun in this country cannot survive if not vaccinated this is because we only have 2 strains, nodular(the skin version vaccinated rabbits get)) and the full blown version (non vaccs rabbits get) i dont know if rabbits in oz get varying strains or if a rabbit without vaccination has any chance of survival, i guess it depends on what degree your rabbit has myxi.

to our rabbits with myxi we give them a pain relief and anti inflammatry (METACAM) this is a dog/cat drug (prehaps a neighbour may have some or it could be bought online?)
we also give BAYTRIL this is an antibiotic which helps,
We give biosolv which eases the congestion of the lungs and upper respiritory tract by reducing the mucas,
and we give a probiotic such as bio lapis,

how bad are the rabbits symptoms? keeping rabbit warm is a must, and steam baths can help with congestion, could you telephone a vet and ask if there are medicines that could be ordered online or given that are human and the dosages, you can explain what uk vets give if that helps? i dont know what else to suggest, so sorry that you have to go through this, i suppose the only way to keep your rabbits as safe as possible is t rig fly netting up around the area they run in and fly paper near their hutch (this would include netting the "roof area" and makinga screen on the door to have an area you could get into before opening the aivary, also i would think as a house rabbit your rabbit would be LESS at risk (though i know biting insects can still get in) but at least wild rabbits and foxes etc would not be passing through. good luck xxx

Sending tons of get well vibes for your furries! I hope you manage to get some drugs/advice from your vet if only by telephone.

Hi - I know the myxi vaccination is illegal in Australia so your poor bunnies obviously have no immunity to this horrendous virus :cry: Even with vaccinated bunnies here in the UK it is sometimes difficult to treat them ...... I wish you all the luck in the world with your buns x

The Girls <3

Today the girls don't look much better,i made my way to a supermarket,where i purchased some V8 juice as i heard giving rabbits V8 juice is like giving people steroids,wich aid in helping breathing Another dose of antibiotics, Pippi looked horrible this morning but after her antibiotics she seems to look a bit better . :D:D Which is good news,i've read a few other posts on myxo and it doesnt seem incredibly positive ..

My fingers are crossed,my babies can win this battle .:wave:

Today the girls don't look much better,i made my way to a supermarket,where i purchased some V8 juice as i heard giving rabbits V8 juice is like giving people steroids,wich aid in helping breathing Another dose of antibiotics, Pippi looked horrible this morning but after her antibiotics she seems to look a bit better . :D:D Which is good news,i've read a few other posts on myxo and it doesnt seem incredibly positive ..

My fingers are crossed,my babies can win this battle .:wave:

do ring the vets, see if they can prescribe anything that can be ordered online or posted first class over to you that is meant for animals and may work better than what she is on its certaintly worth asking, its possible to pay for most things over the phone with card or via paypal/online billing i dont see why in this circumstance a vet woulnt let you still thinking of them all x

Back