• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Issue with back legs

Rachelk

Warren Scout
Hello all

My 4 year old lop X angora has an issue with one back leg. Been to vet for xray and nothing showing. Given him Metacam and 28 day course of panacur….but not having much luck on the panacur or drugs in relation to getting it him to him

Any idea at all about what I should be having the vet check when I go back? PANIC

They think its his hip. He has always walked a bit rather than hop...

Last edited:
we have something similar with our older bun, it could be ligaments, or nerves, it could also be a spinal issue, x

edit very quick check: this hasnt occoured after a vhd injection recently has it as it could very likely just be a reaction which will go with time.

no

no injections or trauma that we know about. I am worried as this am not as interested in life - he had been till then. One leg sort of splays

Does he have any movement/ feeling in it? My bun, Eddie damaged his soft tissue in his back and paralysed his legs. He gradually hot the feeling back, but I don't think he'll ever get full strength back.

Soft tissue and nerve damage can't be seen on an x-ray, and an MRI is ridiculously expensive. The care is the same though.

I'd confine him to a small space to hive it a chance to heal. Ed was in a 4ft indoor cage for about a month.

dora (our bunny with leg problems) had 10 weeks in a 6x3ft area flat no jumping. with soft hay to stop stomping making it worse, it has not helped her though some bunnys it will mean it heals, with her though we have lowered her hutch and kept her running area onto flat for rest of life(r until heals) and she has a sponge to make "jumpnig" in and out of the few inches into the hutch less jarring, we have found this helps her , she has good and bad days and i belive it to be nerves or ligaments(as do the vets) it would not be fair to confine her any longer to small areas but it is a good idea to try it as a first option as it can sometimes heal it x

Thank you for the replies

They did not say to confine him, but he is bascially doing it himself now. Would you put his pal with him? or have her near?

Thank you for the replies

They did not say to confine him, but he is bascially doing it himself now. Would you put his pal with him? or have her near?

yes keep his freind with him as it would split the bond, most rabbits cope best when they have a freind with them while poorly. arthur still lives with dora, and i kept them together through the confinement stage i let arthur out to bounce around the kitchen (the confinement area was indoors then) and then put him back in as didnt want him being too bouncy in with her.

Does he have any movement/ feeling in it? My bun, Eddie damaged his soft tissue in his back and paralysed his legs. He gradually hot the feeling back, but I don't think he'll ever get full strength back.

Soft tissue and nerve damage can't be seen on an x-ray, and an MRI is ridiculously expensive. The care is the same though.

I'd confine him to a small space to hive it a chance to heal. Ed was in a 4ft indoor cage for about a month.

im curious as soft tissue damage could be doras problems i suppose, how did he manage to damage his legs? x

yes he has some movement and some feeling....so not totally gone

its worse otnight than last night

not got any metacam in yet - tips there as well? Wrap him in towel?

He has had a little accident and he cannot eat his caecals really either. SO back to vets

im curious as soft tissue damage could be doras problems i suppose, how did he manage to damage his legs? x

On the journey to me his old owner had him in a 4ft indoor cage for the journey. He must have slid, or flipped in the journey, and done the damage then. It started with limited mobility, but in a few hours he couldn't move either leg.
There's a thread here somewhere, I'll find it for you.

Rachel, as for metacam I'd wrap him in a towel.
If he's having problems cleaning himself then do it for him. Is he incontinent at all, or just having problems getting into a position to pee?

B had problems with her back legs when she was suffering with cystitis.Shes had baytril,metacam & finally septrin which has helped her wobblyness aswell as her incontinence.

Update

Sorry guys took me a while to come back on

Poor Scruffy did not make it...had to be put to sleep a week ago. He had tumours...lots of them..and fluid on his lungs

VERY sad and he was losing weight fast.

thank you - sorry it took a while to come back on here...was of course upsetting. He went back to the rescue with eve for a few days of nursing....and eve is up there now being bonded to another male...

so v quiet at home

Back