• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG Rosie may need her eye out EYE LOOKS WORSE

Kipper

Mama Doe
:cry: Ive just come back from the vets Vet says Rosie may have an abcess or tumour behind her eye. How can this happen so quickly! 2 days ago her eye was ok just a little runny but I thought the Baytril she was on for snuffles would sort it. Now shes got a big ulcer on her eye & the eye is bulging out. Vet will decide on Fri if eye needs to come out. Shes had injections of penicillin & metacam & Ive got eye drops to put in every 2 hours plus metacam & bio-lapis. I saw a thread on here at the weekend about someone else whose rabbit has had her eye out Does anyone have a link to it? I cant find it. Im so scared I will lose my precious baby :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Im so scared for my baby hopefully this other person bun is doing well & will give me more hope

Thanks everyone. Been trying to get time off work but no luck though they said they will work with me. Ive got to put eye drops in every 2 hours so looks like Im going to be doing a lot of driving to & for this week luckily work is only a 10 mins drive. Dont think Im gonna get much work done in the short time I am there but at least they're letting me leave to medicate Rosie

Poor Rosie. It is shocking how quickly these things can develop. I hope she's ok xx

Different species I know, but I have a guinea pig who had to have an eye removed due to an infection that wouldn't shift. He has been absolutly fine since.

Hugs for you :love:

Thanks for the link Janice I read the whole thread & the pic of Barney & his missus lying together is so beautiful. Rosie is still doing well & the swelling of the eye has dramatically reduced Im still hoping she wont need the op. Must say Im feeling more optimistic than I did yesterday even about the op. Next couple of days are going to be stressful but Rosie seems as happy as ever. Thanks everyone for the good wishes

Whatever happens, I hope that Rosie remains comfortable and happy until things are sorted. I'm glad she is looking better today and you are feeling more optimistic today.

Sounds positive :D Sending more vibes for Rosie xx

I really hope she doesn't need the eye removed. As you know, Betsy had to go back to the vets yesterday because Colin pulled her stitches out...but luckily there are internal stitches too, and the eye is already knitting together nicely.

My boy Phillip had his eye out a good while ago and he is fine-in fact, because his eye was causing him so many problems and pain, he is better than ever. The worst thing seemed to be the anesthetic (as with any op) and it looks a bit gruesome (they stitch the eyelids together) but once he was over the anesthetic, he was fine and once the fur grew back nobody even noticed he only had one eye unless i told him. After trying to make his eye better for such a long time, i really think that having it taken out was the best thing i ever did for him (i supposed it may not be the right thing for all vets but that is where you have to trust your vet to advise you correctly??)

Poor Rosie's eye looks worse today. Shes got a piece of matter stuck to the eyeball that I cant get off & she cant shut it. It looks like the eyeball is moving round cos the iris looks smaller & you can see more white (at least it should be white, its in fact bright red) Not convinced the metacam is working shes had her 2 drops this am & still seems to be in pain. Id ring the vet but the rabbit savvy vet is off today. Dont know what to do for the best.

Poor Rosie's eye looks worse today. Shes got a piece of matter stuck to the eyeball that I cant get off & she cant shut it. It looks like the eyeball is moving round cos the iris looks smaller & you can see more white (at least it should be white, its in fact bright red) Not convinced the metacam is working shes had her 2 drops this am & still seems to be in pain. Id ring the vet but the rabbit savvy vet is off today. Dont know what to do for the best.

Definately ring the vet anyway and ask for advice i'd say!

Poor Rosie :( that eye looks so sore in the first picture.

I'm sure other experts will be along in a bit to offer advice.

Lots of vibes for the littlen.

Oh no, poor Rosie :(

If your vet thinks removal is the best option, then go with that. She honestly won't miss her eye at all.

Sending more vibes xx

Sorry she is in pain, poor Rosie. :( Keep us posted. Sending vibes of course, and thinking of you at this worrying time.

Oh no, poor Rosie :(

If your vet thinks removal is the best option, then go with that. She honestly won't miss her eye at all.

Sending more vibes xx

Its not the actual removing of the eye thats worying me. Having heard so many tales from other RU members about their 1 eyed or in 1 case no eyed buns Im confident Rosie will manage fine without. Its the actual anaesthetic that worries me. Rosie's has a high risk of not making it through the anaesthetic as shes a Nethie & her breathing is already compromised. I just wish her eye was gone already so she could feel better. Im so worried & tired been giving her eye drops every 2 hours which means constant travelling to & from work & getting up in the night

Back