• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky Bum Cleaning

Sarah.J

Young Bun
My bunny Max has a mucky bum! We've been to the vet to get him checked out - all fine (if it doesn't improve or gets worse then we need to take him back in). However, need to know the best way of cleaning it. I don't want to give him a wet bath as don't want to stress him out too much. This website http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html suggest using baby cornstarch powder to do a dry bath.

Is this the best way or does anyone else have any recommendations for cleaning it up?

Thanks!

I use Johnson's small animal shampoo. A tiny drop in some luke warm water and then I use the cotton wool pads dipped in and squeezed out so only damp. Wipe! Then I rub gently with a dry cotton wool pad to dry fur off.

I used to use toilet paper and wipes. I found that easiest. Can you work out the cause? I used to have to clean Mini up every other day. Now we only have a couple of days around moult time when she's a bit bad but the rest of the time she's fine.

:wave:I use Burts Bees cornstarch powder for mine (great web site and they send it really quickly too, they also sell lovely natural items for you too) smells lovely, wont harm bunnies either. The stuck on pops come off easily and it saves me cutting them off (always hate doing that just in case I nip her with the siccors)! Is your bunny eating enough hay as this can make a massive difference. My mucky bum bun can't clean herself at all as she is just too small (bless her heart) to reach so we have to see to hers a couple of times a week :D.

with my bun who has been sitting in her somewhat liquid poo's I used wet cotten pads to mop some of it up and the baby wipes :wave:

Thanks for the advice :D

Went into town today and couldn't find any cornstarch powder so it will be shampoo (will have to order some powder online as think it will be less stressful)

No idea what the cause is, I suspect he has just been sitting in his wee and mushy poops and not been grooming properly (he's never been that good at taking care of himself :(). Have to get a urine sample if it's still bad in a few days. Kidney problems, teeth and arthritis have been ruled out

Back