• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can i have some help

amyandmillie

Young Bun
Right got my new rabbit tonight and he is in the garden now with Millie, all went well and millie seemed pleased to have him, after takign turns humping each other and rolling in the grass together they are now casing each other with the odd grunt!!

they seperate and then run to each other, they are not fighting though, thing is i want to ut them in their cage (the top and bottom will be seperated until i am comfortable they have bonded sucsessfully, but i just can;t get them, they are very reluctant to let me near them

they are on top of each other with the hole blocked tonight, i now have the new bunny in so my rabbit should be fairy eacy now,
I don't know if there chasing is a good sign or a sign they are fed up of each other.

Nutty and Millie were put together straight away and instantly lying next to each other grooming each other and by the second night sharing a cage, i guess i had it easy

From what I've read on here, chasing is perfectly normal when bonding. Sounds like you've been lucky so far, hope it stays that way :)

owh good, so the fact they are not fighting is hopefully a thing thing, they have also been acting very normally, eating the grass, relaxing etc so it seems they don't see each other as a threat,
they are both in for the night now and will be able to smell each other, i will let them out again tomorrow,

thank you for the help xx

Its suggest, when bonding, to choose a neutral area (i.e. somewhere where neither have been before), to use a space approximately 4ft by 2ft and to supervise continually. Sometimes different things work for different rabbits, but be very careful. Are both spayed/neutered?

Do we get to see pics of your newest addition?

well i just did what i did with millie and nutty and put them in the garden togther, i have read to put them in a small area but it seems to work for us in the garden (for now, but i may move them to an inside area if it doesn't go well) they are interested in each other but also can escape each other.

Mitzey has been neutered but my vet wasn't too keen on getting millie sprayed, he said that if the male has already been done it is unnecessary to put millie under GA for no reason and was reluctant to do it, she has always been fine though.

i will definitely take some pics tomorrow, mitzey is a beautiful rabbit, but i think all rabbit are,
i have always had rabbits and are very confident with them, i am the only one who has ever been able to pick mitzey up (my in laws couldn't) and i think its just the confidence i have to pick him up without me being scare dof being scratched.

How long ago was Mitzey neutered? If its within the last 6-8 weeks you can't put them together because he will still be fertile.

I would be concerned about your vet saying there is no reason to spay a girl though. Are you aware that there is an 80% risk of hormonal cancers/problems and spaying totally eradicates that risk? If my vet was saying that I would be concerned that my vet was not knowledgable enough with rabbits and not comfortable with operations that are relatively routine.

he did tell me about the risk of cancer but he also told me that he has never seen evidence of this and there is a greater risk of complications under GA, I now now starting to doubt my vet due to coments on here, it has the most amazing reputation in jersey though.

no mitzey was neutered about 18 months ago, they had a settled night and are out together now and seem good

he did tell me about the risk of cancer but he also told me that he has never seen evidence of this and there is a greater risk of complications under GA, I now now starting to doubt my vet due to coments on here, it has the most amazing reputation in jersey though.

no mitzey was neutered about 18 months ago, they had a settled night and are out together now and seem good

I hate to sound like a cow...but the risk really is huge.
All you have to do is look at Liz (Rainbow Rabbits) She takes in elderly/unwell buns and the amount of girlies she has lost to cancer is so saddening. Most of the time it starts in the uterus but quickly spreads if left untreated. She has them speyed as soon as possible when they join her...but a lot of the time it is already too late and the cancer has spread.
Liz and Steve do everything they can for their buns, and are devistated every time they lose someone....it just makes it harder to bear when it is something that could have been so easily avoided.
I really hope she doesn't mind me using her as an example...as it is not their 'fault' this happens...but they see the consequenses so much more because of the work they do.
Please get her neutered as soon as possible....it's not worth the risk of losing her young.

An amazing reputation for what, though? I know plenty of vets who have an amazing reputation for being very good, caring vets of dogs/cats/horses but who are actually pretty hopeless when it comes to rabbits.

You're in quite a difficult situation aren't you, there can't be that many vets on Jersey so you've got quite a limited pool to choose from. Vets who do a lot of spays (e.g. for rescues) regularly see uterine cancer so it is pretty common - maybe the reason your vet doesn't see it is because he doesn't do many spays therefore doesn't look at the wombs very often. I suspect that many bunnies die of cancer without a post-mortem to identify that is the cause. In the hands of a competent bunny vet I don't think the anaesthetic risk is anywhere near as high as the risk of uterine cancer, but I guess it could be if there aren't any vets who are confident performing the op - can you ask him how often he spays females and what sort of success rate he has with the op?

Having just taken 68 rabbits out of one house in Hamsphire with some other good RU folks on here we can catagorically say that uterine cancer is a very large risk - quite a number of the unspayed females had cancers very well developed and if we hadn't gone in when we did, they would have surely died in very painful circumstances.

I don't know where you vet get's his "there is no evidence of it" from - there is actually an awful lot of evidence for those who want to read about it.

I have two of my own rabbits who I had spayed when they came in as rescues who had well advanced cancers and who are actually very lucky to be alive.

Any vet spaying rabbits late will see cancers so this maybe is a reason for your vet not seeing cancers - he probably doesn't do spaying much if at all. Some vets are not confident doing the procedure so prefer to put people off having it done.

Please consider changing to a more bunny knowledgeable vet - I agree with Santa that being on Jersey makes it more difficult.

Which vets are you using? Hugh at New Era is very good, he spayed both my girls :) I haven't spoken to any vets at New Era who would advise against spaying unless there is a genuine reason

There are quite a few vets in Jersey, took me ages to find one I trust :) Even looking most did advise to spay and neuter, I was just fussy about who I wanted to actually do it

Please consider changing to a more bunny knowledgeable vet - I agree with Santa that being on Jersey makes it more difficult.

Its no more difficult here than anywhere else :) There are plenty of vets in Jersey you just have to look for the good ones the same as you guys would

Last edited:
Hi sillyrabbit,
I am with allan ruston-taylor, I really like them but after speaking to my husband and my in-laws i have decided to switch and might give archway a try? apparently they work with new era

Hey :) I don't think I got as far as trying them

Yeah Archway and Leodis are both part of New Era, the vets go between the surgeries I think so you should be able to get in with Hugh there. If not I have been recommended Max at Oak Farm, and he does seem to know more about rabbits than most vets I have spoken too :)

Please change your vet, clearly he knows very little about rabbits. Your doe needs to be spayed by a good bunny savvu vet, its a routine procedure and certainly less risky than not having her spayed.

Back