• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quiet male dwarf lop

scoobylou

Young Bun
I have a male dwarf lop who's about 7 months old called Lucy (thought he was a girl when we got him) he's always been very energetic & loves being around people, he's bonded to another male who was from the same litter from when they were babies. In the last couple of days he has become very quiet & never wants to come out of his cage. When he has a baby he had an abscess down near his penis, & we have realised that he doesn't clean himself very well down there its all stiff & stuck together (possibly due to the fact he's been used to it hurting down there every time he cleaned himself from when he was younger). So 2 days ago we so he was being really quiet & thought it must be really bothering him & tried to clean it the best we could, but he still seems really quiet, he'll come out of his cage but go by in after 5 minutes & no longer runs around a lot but is going round more slower likes he's scared of something.
I'm not sure whether whether its to do with the other male, whether he has become scared of him since they share a cage together or if its something else.
I need advice on whether people think there's something wrong with him or just that its normal for rabbits to be like this sometimes.
Also he's drinking a lot of water lately, I assume its just because its warmer because the heating is on.

The abscess was a good 5 months ago now, so he's not on any pain relief & has no soreness any more. Just recently he seems to have gotten sore down there since its not cleaned properly & stiff so we tried to clean & cut the stiff fur off. It could still be hurting him though.

He needs to see a Vet ASAP

He may have a urinary tract infection or possibly a recurrence of the abscess.
He is obviously in pain :cry:

Are the Rabbits both neutered ?

He needs to see a Vet ASAP

He may have a urinary tract infection or possibly a recurrence of the abscess.
He is obviously in pain :cry:

Are the Rabbits both neutered ?

was thinking this, either way he needs to see a vet as bun is still suffering discomfort.

No not yet, they are both going to be done in the next couple of weeks. We've had to wait longer to get them done because we want them done together to keep the bond but its obviously a lot of money so we've had to save up for it.

If he is sore then he may not be emptying his bladder fully. This can lead to a build up of sludge (calcium deposits) which can then cause very painful cystitis and infection.

If they're not neutered either the other bun may have lunged or such like and scared him, the sooner they're neutered the better, as hormones will be raging and fights could break out ..

I think Lucy may have an infection, lately the other male Lou has been sitting next to Lucy more, glooming him and following him around. Likes there's something wrong & he's trying to look after him. They very rarely fight then though they aren't neutered, I've bin very lucky with the two of them they hump each other but that's it really.

Def sounds like Lucy has a probem somewhere...hopefully the vet will shed some light tomorrow...let us know how you get on :)

Back