• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mundane question re litter trays...

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Just wondering what folk do re litter trays. Do you have lots of them and clean them all out in one day or just have 1 or 2 and clean it out more frequently. I've built myself up to 4 now and am thinking of collecting them till I have 7 and do a big clean once a week.

Boring question I know but just wondering what other people do - any great ideas?

I have OCD where it comes to cleaning out litter trays. I have one big one for the pairs, a small one for Honey. Diego has two small ones and foster buns has one big and one small. I clean out litter trays every day which have been soiled.

I tend to do it each day, even though I have 8 (2 trays a day to clean) - I only use the others when we go away and prepare them for whoever is looking after the little ones.:D

I did intend to do the weekly thing but just never get round to it.:roll:

I have four per pair (plus two bigger ones that I rarely use). I only clean them out two or three times a week. I know some will recoil in horror but my babies feetsies are clean as I pile in extra hay twice a day and it keeps them from the soiled stuff underneath. Then I take the old ones, put a lid on, store them in the garage and empty them every week or fortnight on the compost at the allotment. I find this massively easier than trying to get the soiled stuff into rubbish bags like I used to.

I have 2, 1 large corner one for each bun.
Every 2-3 days i'll clean out the wooden pellets and paper and clean the tray out proper. Every morning i'll clean out and soiled or damp hay (as much poos as possible) and then add extra hay in. My Buns seem very happy with this arrangement.

Spenser won't use a tray! I just line his bedroom with lots of newspaper and change it daily. Not ideal according to the books, but it does have the plus of no litter tray to clean. I'm trying to train him to use a tray in the conservatory, but this a shallow cardboard box at the moment. :wave:

I have four per pair (plus two bigger ones that I rarely use). I only clean them out two or three times a week. I know some will recoil in horror but my babies feetsies are clean as I pile in extra hay twice a day and it keeps them from the soiled stuff underneath. Then I take the old ones, put a lid on, store them in the garage and empty them every week or fortnight on the compost at the allotment. I find this massively easier than trying to get the soiled stuff into rubbish bags like I used to.

I was thinking of on a Sat/Sun tipping all six into the garden waste bin and the rest of the week having them lined up - one clean one each day. When you're busy with work etc, the last thing you want to do is come home to litter trays ye think?

I was thinking of on a Sat/Sun tipping all six into the garden waste bin and the rest of the week having them lined up - one clean one each day. When you're busy with work etc, the last thing you want to do is come home to litter trays ye think?

Good idea but I have to white vinegar my trays each week so I would end up with 7 trays a week to clean. I get up earlier in the morning and do trays before work now. Used to do it after work but found it easier to do in the morning.

i have a house bun, with a corner litter tray , in goes cat litter wood pellets and a layer of hay, then with hayball/rack above this, i change it twice daily

Good idea but I have to white vinegar my trays each week so I would end up with 7 trays a week to clean. I get up earlier in the morning and do trays before work now. Used to do it after work but found it easier to do in the morning.

White vinegar!! Do share!!! :D

i have a house bun, with a corner litter tray , in goes cat litter wood pellets and a layer of hay, then with hayball/rack above this, i change it twice daily

I know you have a house bun because I love reading about him - little Locksley!! I've watched him grow up!! :love: I guess with house buns you would want to keep things squeaky clean!

White vinegar!! Do share!!! :D

I soak them in the bath with some white vinegar makes getting the stains off so much easier. Then simply rinse with the shower hot water. While they are soaking the bowls and bottles are soaking in the sink with some milton. See I told you I had OCD :lol:

I know you have a house bun because I love reading about him - little Locksley!! I've watched him grow up!! :love: I guess with house buns you would want to keep things squeaky clean!

yeah, he's pretty clean anyway, the cleanist bun ive had, even when he goes into the garden he won't poo on the grass he waits until he is back in, or if i put hiis tray out he goes in there

yeah, he's pretty clean anyway, the cleanist bun ive had, even when he goes into the garden he won't poo on the grass he waits until he is back in, or if i put hiis tray out he goes in there

thats what molly and harry do too - they can be out in the garden for ages but will then dash in and pee in their tray. My OH had a housebun (bobby bobtail who turned out to be a girl) 40 yrs ago - it was house trained and scraped/begged at the back door to be let out to wee like a puppy would. I think this is quite an achievement.:)

I soak them in the bath with some white vinegar makes getting the stains off so much easier. Then simply rinse with the shower hot water. While they are soaking the bowls and bottles are soaking in the sink with some milton. See I told you I had OCD :lol:

You'd prob die if you saw mine!! I would need to take a scraper to mine!! I disinfect them periodically but maybe I should be a little more fastidious!!

You'd prob die if you saw mine!! I would need to take a scraper to mine!! I disinfect them periodically but maybe I should be a little more fastidious!!

Well they always look fine and healthy in your photos - I wouldn't worry too much! :wave:

Back