• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Straw

Daesy

Warren Scout
I rescued some kittens from an animal shelter a couple of weeks ago, and I was discussing my rabbits with one of the guys there

I told him about my hutch/run, and mentioned that I pack it out with straw in the winter

He looked very concerned and said I should not bother with straw, and instead I should just use hay> He said it was softer, edible and that straw is a waste of money

I use straw as Id always been told it was warmer for winter. They obviously have unlimited hay to eat, but straw to cosy up in

Thoughts please

Straw is better for keeping them warm. Hay is better for their tummies and teeth. We give ours a snuggly area full of straw, and then several big piles of fresh hay. :)

Its not too good for them to eat but providing they have plenty hay they shouldnt bother eating the straw :wave:

straw has no nutritioanl value but is warmer as the tubes keep heat more insulated within them. so a compromise in winter is fine i use straw as bedding with a layer of hay on top so they are warm but get to eat teh stuff that is good for them! x

I used to use a lot of straw until my Parsnip went mad and kept eating it all so wasn't eating his hay at all so I don't use it at all now, just layers of newspaper and masses and masses of hay!

Mine have straw for their bedding, mainly because they won't eat it. If I use hay in their bed they just think its a giant litter tray and poop in it :shock:

As bunlover said the straw is not nutritional in any way but it is a good insulator.
We had to stop using straw as Jimby would fill up on it and not eat his hay.
I think as long as they are in a well insulated area and have plently of hay then you should not need to worry about straw. Maybe if it is really cold use a Heat Pad instead!

Back