• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any advice to get Bob to eat

lauras

Young Bun
Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while but desperately need your advice. Bob had his vhd booster on Saturday and was fine with his last one. He hasn't been the same since and gone off his food and quiet. Took him straight to the vets first thing who has syringe fed all day but is very worried he will go into statis. She also spoke to the makers of the vaccine and it's not a reaction as no lumps (which they said is the only one) so I can only assume it's stress.

He's home now and I've got all fresh veg but he's not touched a thing. If he doesn't eat he has to go back tomorrow again by which time it's getting bad for him and more stress.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can coax him into eating. I'm so worried about him as it's not like him.

He also had a dental a few weeks back so it's not his teeth, any forum advice would be great. And some positive thoughts for bob xx

He's had meds but not sure if he had gut mobility. I have just tried to syringe banana but it's so hard finding his mouth and I think half went on his face. Plus he doesn't like being syringed. We have to do the oxbow later if he doesn't eat. No poops at all so not good :( he's led by his food bowl now - I'm praying he eats

Hmm, one of mine went off food but only for about 12 hours or so.

Grated carrot sometimes works rather than a chunk, highly smelling herbs e.g. thyme. Sometimes carrot tops, parsley etc.

I also try to tickle under chins to annoy them so that get hold of it in their mouth.

Sending Bob lots of eating vibes. I hope he will start to eat soon for you.

Does Bob have a partner - sometimes if the partner comes in to try to eat the food this can encourage them to pinch it back.

You could also try tempting him with some grated or pureed apple.

Wet herbs, grass or dandelion may help coax him to eat too. Wash them and leave them wet to get some fluids in to him.

His fave is banana and parsley and he's not interested at all. Am really worried as he's just led here all quiet. I'm trying everything but am feeling really despondent :(

Have you tried porridge? When my Vin was ill at one point it was the only thing she would eat. I made it up with water and served it warm with bits of apricot mashed in to sweeten it.

Little bit of shredded wheat or dry toast :? Not things I would normally try but maybe a little nibble will entice him.

Try something out of the norm, I find mine respond to these a bit more. Also kale will sometimes tempt.

Grated mushy apple helped Starbuck when he was poorly - it was the first thing he ate. Otherwise maybe some fruity baby food, but make sure it is pure fruit (ie no dairy or anything like that in).

We've got kale but no joy and hubby just been shopping and got dill and pineapple juice. We don't have shredded wheat but do have shreddies would one of those be ok to try?

Any advice for the syringe too as we have the critical care but struggling getting syringe in his mouth and he gets pretty stressed

I think some people do try shreddies - maybe ask on rabbit chat as you may get more response on tempting foods

I found the syringe feeding stressful for both me and Starbuck to be honest. I found that the easiest was to wrap him up in a towel (bunny burrito) and then cradling him in the nook of my elbow (not on his back though), then trying to poke the syringe gently in the side of his mouth in the gap between his teeth.

Hope bunny starts eating soon. Have you got some recovery food if not could you grind up some pellets with water to make a syringe feed. Have you got any all veg or fruit baby food to mix with the food.

We have the oxbow recovery food which our lovely neighbours sister is coming to syringe in. He's completely off colour and actually worryingly so as I've never seen him like this. Have tried fruits veg and all his faves but nothing :(

Everything I would have suggested has already been said, but I do hope he picks up soon. When I had to syringe feed Spenser he wasn't at all impressed but he did lick some recovery food that I put in a small bowl (and the stuff that spilled onto my top!).

Well we managed to get some help and he's had 2 syringes of water and 2 recovery food. He's still quiet though so instead of forcing him into the cage (we shake his treats to get him in) we have left him in the lounge in his tube by his bed where he seems most comfortable. Back to vets tom so vibes for bob to get better

Morning all,

well good news is we got up 3am and managed to get some more recovery food down and then he ate kale and romaine yay!! But this morning he's still not himself and pretty much laying there although seems to be nibbling more oh and he pooped.

The vet said if he wasn't happy she wanted to see him again but we are worried the trip could stress him and stop him eating again but at the same time we want to make sure he's ok and do the best.

We both have to go to work so won't be home all day. Do you think vets would be best?

I would take him to the vets to be on the safe side as he is still not eating properly.

Do you have any fenugreek crunchies? Fenugreek is supposed to be an appetitie stimulant.

Yes we thought we best take him to be on the safe side. Just hope it doesn't stress him again.

No we don't have any of those I've never even heard of them. Where can we get those? They sound great :)

Back