• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gaps in aviary??

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
The roof is finally on the aviary but I have some gaps that I'm not sure what to do with? Are they ok to just leave? Or will the foxes be able to get in?

These gaps are at the front and back
cc9e3f9f.jpg

54a2f748.jpg

These gaps are at the side and are because of the slope to raise the PVC up at the front
2d3ef491.jpg

If im honest I wouldnt trust the roof sheets as i imagine it would be pretty easy for a fox to jump up and rip them off. Is it possible to mesh it as well?

Could you put some batons across to fill in the gaps?
I know you would have to plane the triangular shape on the sides because of the funny shape, but I would try it. as I would worry like yourself having the gaps there,just in case.:)

If im honest I wouldnt trust the roof sheets as i imagine it would be pretty easy for a fox to jump up and rip them off. Is it possible to mesh it as well?

Oh, I thought that the roofing sheets would be ok? I didn't know I had to mesh them as well :(

I'm probably not going to be able to afford to mesh it until te new year now

Oh, I thought that the roofing sheets would be ok? I didn't know I had to mesh them as well :(

I'm probably not going to be able to afford to mesh it until te new year now

Maybe it will be okay? I know other people have the same as you with no problems im just a worry pants :oops:. Sorry to upset you :(

I have mesh under mine and the same plastic as you on top of that.
To be honest I agree with the other post the sheets are not very strong and one of mine has a crack in it, on the edge already.
Im sorry but I don't know what else to suggest.:(

I have mesh under mine and the same plastic as you on top of that.
To be honest I agree with the other post the sheets are not very strong and one of mine has a crack in it, on the edge already.
Im sorry but I don't know what else to suggest.:(

Same here.

I am afraid I wouldn't trust the sheets alone to offer secure enough protection.

It's ok, it's just something else that hasn't gone right for me :roll:

I did think about just putting mesh aviary panels on the roof as it was cheaper, but then decided on the plastic to keep them dry. So basically I've just wasted £140 for nothing.

They're gonna get even less time outside in the aviary now as it's dark when I get in so can't let them out :( my OH let's them out when he gets home but they'll prob only have about an hour and a half out each day now until I get the roof sorted

I did think about just putting mesh aviary panels on the roof as it was cheaper, but then decided on the plastic to keep them dry. So basically I've just wasted £140 for nothing.

They're gonna get even less time outside in the aviary now as it's dark when I get in so can't let them out :( my OH let's them out when he gets home but they'll prob only have about an hour and a half out each day now until I get the roof sorted

Please dont feel disheartened. Its VERY clear to see how much time money and effort has gone into their amazing new home. I would still use the sheets to keep the rain out so they dont getting wasted. It will all be worth it in the end :love:

Last edited:

I would keep the plastic - they are a good idea.

You could always ask on freecycle for some offcuts of mesh. Or you could use wood (someone might have an old wardrobe or something you could dismantle and screw the panels of wood on the roof).

Right then, where's the cheapest place to buy mesh from please? I need enough to cover 12ft x 9ft

Is it just a case of stapling it to the roof beams with a normal staple gun?

:wave: panic not!!! Ive done the same as you and had the gap problem too! I filled in the gaps with the samer size wood planks you have fixed it to - if you can screw these to the roof and the avairy it will make it much more secure... I havent got mesh as well though I might think about it now - I guess you could fix the mesh from the inside to save taking all the roofing of again.

I had the same set up for Ronnie and Lolly at the old house. We didnt mesh under out sheets, and filled the gaps with mesh and extra pieces of wood where we could. I know you get stressed easily hun, please dont let it upset you :( Im sure they will be ok as long as you get the gaps filled asap as i wouldnt trust gaps that size with foxes etc. Dont panic hun, your a fab bunny mummy :D x

Personally I would just fill in the gaps with mesh for now.
Wilsinsons do small rolls for a few £'s.

The plastic roof is brand new so it won't be brittle for a good year or more, and you have put support bars across, so it'd have to be a heavy fox to fall through itas it stands.

Thanks guys :) I just get so annoyed with myself

Its taken me months to get it 'finished' andthen I find out it's not :roll:

I'll probs get the mesh to be honest as I can staple that myself, whereas Adam would need to sort the wood out cos I'm useless :lol:

I got the rolls of mesh .90cm x 6m for £26 pounds in b&q. That should be enough shoudn,t it for you to fix to your roof?
It will give you piece of mind if nothing else.
Sorry if I worried you that wasn't my intention.:(
Perhaps I worry too much :lol:

Back