• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fed up with non-bunny people :(

Bink

Mama Doe
I am doing a sponsored diet to raise money for the Rabbit Residence Rescue. I was feeling really good about it and really confident that I could raise a decent amount of money for the rescue.

I did a poster with some pics of the rescue buns and all the facts and figures and a few people said it made them feel emotional which was sort of the point, but a few people have been SO THOUGHTLESS about the whole thing.

The number of comments I've had about eating the "surplus" bunnies..."I'll take them off your hands... I like a bit of rabbit for my dinner"

And one guy who sends his pet ferrets into warrens won't even speak to me, like I'm actually doing something wrong.

Worst of all, my boss who I thought I was quite close to really upset me today. He said he didn't realise I'd done a poster so I offered to send it to him and he said "No, I don't want you to. I literally have no interest, I couldn't give a **** about rabbits to be honest. They're only rabbits, it's not that important".

I had to leave because I wanted to cry. I knew a rabbit rescue wouldn't be everybodies first choice for donations, but it's not like I'm DEMANDING they sponsor me.

I just feel really down about it. Sorry for the emotional rant :(

Poor you trying to do a good thing and getting ignorant comments like that. :cry::cry:

Lets just hope that after the words left his mouth he realised what a :censored: he sounded!

Don't give up though you are doing something worth while instead of sitting on your bum leaving it to someone else. :love::love:

I am doing a sponsored diet to raise money for the Rabbit Residence Rescue. I was feeling really good about it and really confident that I could raise a decent amount of money for the rescue.

I did a poster with some pics of the rescue buns and all the facts and figures and a few people said it made them feel emotional which was sort of the point, but a few people have been SO THOUGHTLESS about the whole thing.

The number of comments I've had about eating the "surplus" bunnies..."I'll take them off your hands... I like a bit of rabbit for my dinner"

And one guy who sends his pet ferrets into warrens won't even speak to me, like I'm actually doing something wrong.

Worst of all, my boss who I thought I was quite close to really upset me today. He said he didn't realise I'd done a poster so I offered to send it to him and he said "No, I don't want you to. I literally have no interest, I couldn't give a **** about rabbits to be honest. They're only rabbits, it's not that important".

I had to leave because I wanted to cry. I knew a rabbit rescue wouldn't be everybodies first choice for donations, but it's not like I'm DEMANDING they sponsor me.

I just feel really down about it. Sorry for the emotional rant :(

thats terrible essipally your boss :( can belive how uncaring people can be, my O/H used to be terrible always said rabbits are fr "eating" :evil: now he can wait to go see thm in the afternoon and says "where are my babys" :lol: i think people just dont understand how lovely they are untill they spend some time with them

oh dear :cry: im sorry youve been treated this way, im lucky were i work they know how i love my bunnies, so are really nice. i wouldnt even bother asking them for sponsorship, just friends and family and us lot on here!:D.some people are just insensitive :evil:

I try not to let non bunny people bother me anymore. Sadly there are so many out there who don't give a :censored:

Thats up to them its their opinion and its hard to change that. Let them get on and just ignore it. Try not to let them throw you off track.

Good luck with your sponsorship :wave:

That may be how your boss feels, but seriously could he have been any more tactless and insensitive?:censored:

I know all the jokes about rabbit pies etc are mostly said as a joke, but I don't think people realise that after you've heard it a couple of times its just not funny. It really highlights the lack of understanding by most people of just how dire the situation is with unwanted rabbits and welfare in general.

Anyway, don't let them put you off! It sounds like a great idea, you should do a thread about it on here

Even if people don't get the whole 'bunny' thing - that's up to them but you'd expect people to have a bit more grace and realise that it's important to you and support you for that reason. Or at least listen and not pass any nasty comments. Pure ignorance. Chalk it up as experience and try not to get down about it - what you are doing is very worthy. If people can't appreciate you for caring about something it's their problem - just dismiss them!!

Sorry but the people you work with sound like a bunch of nasty selfish idiots. I wouldnt bother wasting any more time or hopes on them. I would keep things civil at work but not waste any more energy on any of them than I had to. Really want to swear right now but dont want to get infracted. :censored:

Thanks for your replies guys. I have got over it a bit now. It helped coming home and giving George and Fifi a squish :)

I think I will start a thread on here (diet/exercise regime officially starts Mon 8th Nov, a week today) so am using this week to get sponsors at work etc. I could use the thread to track progress and maybe set up a paypal account for donations? Not sure yet. Will keep you posted though :wave:

Thank you for being wonderful supportive RUers :):)

If he wasnt your boss then i'd give you a few choice words to say to him . But it's odd they are such a popular pet but no-one gives a damn.

You`re doing a realy good thing, don`t let a few unwelcome comments from some thoughtless toss bags get you down. Some people can be so insensitive
take no notice. :)

I was on my push bike one day and saw a work friend, so I stopped to talk to her. While we were walking she asked me where I was going, so I told her that I was going to help clean out the rabbits at the rabbit rescue. She looked completely shocked and said " Huh how sad" :censored::censored:
I think she got the message that she :censored: me off when I got back on my bike and rode off.:mrgreen:

Hope you are ok. Try not to be too upset about it, and good luck with your sponsored diet, I hope you get to raise lots of money. :wave:

I'd ignore most of them but your boss really shouldn't have said that. :evil:

I've had a comment like that before and I said straight back to them "OK, maybe you don't care, but it means a lot to me. Try to imagine that you were working hard towards a charity that meant a lot to you, that was close to your heart, and someone turned to you and said that it didn't matter and the beneficiaries of that charity were not important. Wouldn't that really upset you? Well, that's how I felt just now when you said what you said!".

AMETHYST

argh I can see why you got upset. I would have been upset too. What a rude person! I'm not sure why some people have that mentality about rabbits... its disappointing and I guess I just don't understand it. Sigh... I'm sorry you had to go thru that. :(

Thank you!

I have started a thread in the Fundraising Section,

Just waiting for mod approval :)

Steph xx

Back