• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baba slings for those with ill rabbits? its here and its really good

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
My OH has taken to carrying Hawthorn around tucked inside one of his layers of clothing all day - and we are buying one of these as we have always found carrying buns helps them when they are very ill -maintaining body heat and contact is so important especially if seperated from companions etc.

Thought it might interest Hugos There and others?

Will keep you informed how it goes.

You can wear it lots of different ways - one of which looks ideal for a bun as it does not scrunch head and neck up (unlike the position shown here).

https://www.thebabasling.co.uk/

PS we do put Hawtorn down for exercise every evening etc - its just he is sleepy all day and Robinia wants to go out - so this seems ideal.

Last edited:
Good idea, I like the thought of the constant body contact as I can imagine very ill buns must miss that.

Might be a silly question, but how do you stop the rabbit jumping out? :oops:

I'm assuming it must be fairly secure - I've found that when O is wrapped up tightly and feels she can't get away she relaxes anyway. :)

If buns are sick enough they will just stay where they are!

I don't think even my sick bunnies would stand being in a sling for too long before wriggling free.

Perhaps I'm just seeing dangers where there aren't any? I dunno, I've never used one.

I don't think even my sick bunnies would stand being in a sling for too long before wriggling free.

Perhaps I'm just seeing dangers where there aren't any? I dunno, I've never used one.

It is only for very ill buns - at present Hawthorn stays put as he is asleep most of the day (imagine yourself with chickenpox for example),Obviously if he makes movements to indicate he wants to get out then we let him. Most of the day he is snoring his head off! And I have had others who would be too ill to want to struggle and spend a lot of time asleep.

It is only for very ill buns - at present Hawthorn stays put as he is asleep most of the day (imagine yourself with chickenpox for example),Obviously if he makes movements to indicate he wants to get out then we let him. Most of the day he is snoring his head off! And I have had others who would be too ill to want to struggle and spend a lot of time asleep.

I can fully understand that as that is exactly what Mischa was like. He was far happier laying in my arms than in his cage where he was tossing all the time.

Awesome idea. Obviously you choose which situations to use it in, and which not to. I've had some bunnies after GAs who have wanted to snuggle and sleep with me, which ties me up for many hours sometimes, but other ill bunnies would never have stayed in.

Like with everything, if you have common sense (which you obviously do parsnipbun) then you are unlikely to have a problem.

We both work at home a lot using computers etc and at present every time we get up from the work desk to check a fact in a book or make tea or tend to another bun or answer door etc etc Hawthorn has to be disturbed and put in a basket and then picked up again etc so we are hoping this way he can just snooze on while we move around.

We have tried to adapt a range of fleecy jumpers etc in the past (tying arms round middle etc:lol::lol:) so hopefully this will work rather better.

As he gets better he will spend less time on our laps and more time hopping around - but hopefully this will work for now.

What excellent dedicated bunny parents you are to come up with this fantastic idea. I hope that it helps him to feel better much sooner.

Its arrived!!! and it works really well!! His little head sticks out one end !!!

Hawthorn is still a mess and not up to fashion photos I'm afraid - but may model it with a healthy bun for a moment just to give you an idea!

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Looking forward to seeing one of your bunnies modelling it so we have an idea of how it works. :D

Back