• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on spaying my rabbit

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
Hello, I've recently booked an appointment with a vet to get my rabbit spayed but ever since I made the appointment I just feel sick with fear. I know it is for the best in the long run but I'm really worried for her, I would be distraught if anything happened to her. The vet I'm seeing is experienced with rabbits although I've not been to them before, it's a vet practice that my local rabbit rescue centre uses so that is why I've booked her in with them.

Is there anything I can do for her before and after the operation to make things easier and more comfortable for her? I will have 4 days off work including the day of the operation to keep an eye on her. Any other information or questions I should ask the vet on the day would also be very helpful.

Many thanks for any advice

We have not had any 'hands on' experience with nursing a spayed bun as when we adopted Cookie she was spayed about 2 weeks before.
But I think the general rule of thumb is to keep her comfortable and quiet for a few days- 1 week, do not use wood shavings as they can really irritate the wound plus they are not good for bunnies health wise anyway.
So use hay or blankets to keep her comfy.
Try to increase her fibre intake before the op and make sure she continues to eat, drink and poop after the op.
She will probably be needing some pain relief for at least a few days afterwards as well so talk to the vet about having some to take home.

Keep her eating right up until you take her in. Take a little lunchbox of a variety of things she likes to eat. Make a nice cosy area for her when she comes home of blankets, towels or vetbed.

Back