• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! My Rabbits Keep Fighting Please Help Me :(

garryc

New Kit
Hello, i have recently got 2 rabbits (one lionhaired & one dutch) we bought them from the same shop where they were housed and caged together, we kept them in the same cage and there was the odd scrap fur pulling etc... then a couple of weeks later the fights got more severe and one ended up with few cuts, we then bought another cage to separate them and had been letting them out together but in the last day the fights have got more severe and frequent, one of them was screaming they were both immediatley separated (one of them nipped me in this process) and there cages are next to each other but looks like hostile behaviour is carrying on. they are about 10-12 weeks old.
please help and give me some advice we do not want to have to get rid of one we love them so much.
please help us!

What sex are the buns?

I am no expert, but separating and putting back together is a no no, i am sure others will be on here soon to help you :)

You need to get your vet to check their sexes as soon as possible.

It sounds like you might have two boys...in which case you need to get them both neutered as soon as their testicles drop (they may already have dropped by now), and hopefully you can gradually re-introduce them about 6 weeks after the operation.

Hello, i have recently got 2 rabbits (one lionhaired & one dutch) we bought them from the same shop where they were housed and caged together, we kept them in the same cage and there was the odd scrap fur pulling etc... then a couple of weeks later the fights got more severe and one ended up with few cuts, we then bought another cage to separate them and had been letting them out together but in the last day the fights have got more severe and frequent, one of them was screaming they were both immediatley separated (one of them nipped me in this process) and there cages are next to each other but looks like hostile behaviour is carrying on. they are about 10-12 weeks old.
please help and give me some advice we do not want to have to get rid of one we love them so much.
please help us!

at 10-12 weeks old, it could well be hormones, although perhaps a little early, but still possible.

Your bunnies should be seperated, put in seperate cages/pens/hutches close to each other so they can still see/smell/hear the other.

You will then need to speak to a bunny-savvy vet to have them spayed/neutered. Then you will need to wait ~6 weeks until you can re-introduce them, properly, bonding them in a small neutral area (search the forum for bonding advice :) ). Some vets however will not spay a doe until they are 1Kg in weight / 6 months old so you could be in for the long haul here...

If you let us know where you are, perhaps someone can advise you as to where you could take them :)

You need to get your vet to check their sexes as soon as possible.

It sounds like you might have two boys...in which case you need to get them both neutered as soon as their testicles drop (they may already have dropped by now), and hopefully you can gradually re-introduce them about 6 weeks after the operation.

beat me to it :oops: and somehow managed to do it in 2 sentences compared to may hooge post :oops:

Alas females can be as bad - or worse - than males.

Raging teenage hormones :shock::shock::shock:.

You will need to seperate until they are old enough and large enough to be spayed . . then you may be able to introduce again.

TBH I have often had trouble with bonding two females (more than males) but many other people manage it!!

Have you considered expanding to 4 buns - with a lovely neutered male for each female:lol::lol:

so do you all think its the hormones? we are definatley going to have them spayed but got a long wait:? no way can we have 2 males they live inside as its too cold for them to go outside!

It would be rare for girls this young to fight so badly. Girls tend to become stroppy around the 16 week mark. Could they be older than you were told?

It would be rare for girls this young to fight so badly. Girls tend to become stroppy around the 16 week mark. Could they be older than you were told?

Mmm - yes . . . do you know if the vet you have is very good with rabbits??? Some quite honestly can't tell! Whereabouts are you?

the shop told us they were 8-10 weeks they were very small (have now grown quickly) and when we took one to the vets 2 weeks ago for a cut on her ear, the vet advised us to put vaccinations of even longer as they may still be too young. why would they have gone from being fine and grooming one another to fighting? and should we be worried for the screaming noise when fighting? i have checked them and only a minor cut on ones ear. should we try to keep them togteher again as it seems to have got worse since separating them? thanks for your help guys! we just dont want them to hurt or kill one another!

I think you need to not let them 'play' together at all now, until spayed/neutered because rabbits can fight to the kill, which you obviously don't want.

I would think maybe posting and asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area might be worthwhile because then you can find a good, knowledgeable vet for your bunnies and that might allow you to get some better advice, RE vaccinations and such.

yes we have already found a vet unless anyone else can suggest another one near near st helens, merseyside?

I'd suggest starting a new thread, with your location in the title, and that you need a vet. :)

Back