• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help-Injection Problems/Reaction

Janey

Warren Veteran
My rabbit has dental issues and as a result I have been injecting her with penicillin. However, when I went to give her the injection this morning I noticed that under her skin it's all lumpy-almost like a kind of mass. It seems to be attached to her skin and I'm wondering if she has had an allergic reaction. I have spoken to the vets and have her booked in tomorrow, she is ok in herself, eating fine, etc, I'm just so worried.

I was wondering if anybody else had experienced anything similar after giving injections? I really hope I haven't caused this by doing something wrong!!

Are you able to take a picture and post it?

Bunnies can get a injection site reaction so maybe this is what it is.
Does it look sore?

There is really nothing to see at all, it's just all lumpy under the skin, the skin itself is ok, not sore looking (perhaps just a bit of flaky skin but I think that's because she's being treated for mites also & is still a bit itchy).

Poor little thing is in the wars at the moment-just feels like this is something else for her to deal with. When I feel the skin it doesn't seem to cause her pain.

You dont think ti could possibly be liquid under the skin? How does it feel when you run your finger over it?

No, I don't think it's liquid as it's definately hard. I am just hoping it is some kind of reaction & nothing more. I'm hoping it's not an abcess as there would be no way to treat it as she's already on the penicillin. Appointment is at 5:45, I think it's going to be a very long day of waiting and worrying!!

If you are injecting in the same place it is probably granulated tissue.

What gauge needle are you using and do you vary the site you inject ?

Do you massage the area you inject for a couple of mins after administering the Depocillin ?

I do it in the scruff of the neck (if rabbits are considered to have a scruff), I do try and move around that area as much as possible but it's only little.

I'm not sure what type of needle ( I'm at work at the moment so can't check).

No I font massage the area after, I wasn't told to do that. Will this have done her permenant damage? I feel so guilty.:cry:

Back