• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After care spay - problem

puppyjess12345

Mama Doe
Ok as some of you may know Rosie and Ted are going to have their spay and neuter on wednesday.:? Well my dilemna is my dad will allow them to stay indoors for the night but we have no where to keep them. All we have is a carrier but thats far to small, we have no dog crates,panels or pens etc. Any miracle ideas? I really dont want to put them outside cause I know they can't control their body temperatures, I dont even have a snuggle safe to use. They also cant be kept together obviously.

:) Thanks.

Nope all my friends and family think im crazy what I do for animals. They all hate them, I do have one friend with a rabbit but its outdoors.

when i first got rosie and had no where to safely keep her after her spey i got a piece of wire from garden and put it right accross thed bedside table, it was actually quite a good space for her, i put her blankets and things in there

I'd say look on freecycle, gumtree and preloved and if you get anything disinfect it really well.

Also see if anyone on here could be willing to lend you something.

do you have a chest of drawers that you could take the drawers out and put it on its back? if you understand what i mean. :?
other than that i once used a large cardboard box when one of mine was ill. i dont think they'll be up to much chewing, especially the girl. i mean the really big box's. shame your not near me. i have a huge one here.

Thanks for the ideas. I just asked my dad what he thought and he said:

Rosie could go in the bath. I thought about the slippiness but surely I could put some kind of traction mat and then blankets over the top with all her stuff.

Then as its a less major operation for Ted he could have the whole conservatory, or is that to much space? I could section a bit off?

Oh to many ideas!

ETA: Would an egg box be to small? My mum runs a cafe and gets them.

i am picturing a egg box and cant imagine a rabbit fitting in it! :lol:
the bath would be ok but if it was covered well as if she slips she may pull something and she'll be reluctant to move anyway. i would personally go for a big box with her.
how big is a egg box?

if you could maybe get a good few shower mats for the bath??? that might do it. :?

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

Its a little bit over 2 foot x 1, Rosie has one in her cage which shes always in when I go out at night. They're quite big as they get loads of eggs in.

i would go for the bath with shower mats and the conservatory for the boy. it might just take her longer to eat and get back to normal as it took one of my girls about 14hours to eat after her spey.
maybe put her a box in the bath so she can rest in peace then especially if shes used to one. :)

I kept my bunny in the kitchen overnight. You can leave the carrier open and fill with hay and let one bunny free range. You dont have any dogs do you. You can close the kitchen door.

I would put the bunny in the bathroom, not in the bath, but loose again. If you dont have another carrier, you could get a cardboard box. Cut two entrances back and front in the box and fill with hay and let the bunny free range.

Alternatively, see if Caroline from Eastbourne rabbit rescue has two dog crates you could borrow for a couple of days.

If she is anything like any of mine (even post spay) she may jump out the bath, so I don't think that's a safe option. Sorry.

I kept my bunny in the kitchen overnight. You can leave the carrier open and fill with hay and let one bunny free range. You dont have any dogs do you. You can close the kitchen door.

I would put the bunny in the bathroom, not in the bath, but loose again. If you dont have another carrier, you could get a cardboard box. Cut two entrances back and front in the box and fill with hay and let the bunny free range.

Alternatively, see if Caroline from Eastbourne rabbit rescue has two dog crates you could borrow for a couple of days.

Ok I will put her free range in the bathroom I just thought it might be to much space. I do have 2 carriers so that can be their base and i'll bring in all their stuff and blankets.

I brought mine into the kitchen and had a dog bed full of soft fleecy blankets so she could get out and move round but to be honest she wasn't up to that really for the first 24-36 hours

Back