• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anybody advise please ?rex hock prob ?

traceymadigan

Warren Scout
Hi ,i have just been checking my rex rabbit charlie and noticed two bald patches on his back feet that are a bit raised a bit like a blister but no fluid in them if that makes sense !
They have no broken skin and are not really red but i just wondered if there is anything i should do , he is a house bunny and the kitchen where he lives is tiled and his cage has vetbed although he is never in his cage only to use toilet or eat so dont think that would affect him x

rabbitfoot006.jpg

rabbitfoot001.jpg

This is the best i can do on my own,they dont look sore but i have never noticed them like this before x

That is definitely the start of trouble.

Rexes are very prone to sore hocks and unfortunately they often dont do well on hard flooring or carpet.

Do you keep his nails short and is he over-weight ?

Hi,he has just had vaccinations and had his weight checked and his nails are ok :roll:,what can i do to help then as i can change the flooring in his cage but as i said he does not really go in there ? thanks x

Hi,he has just had vaccinations and had his weight checked and his nails are ok :roll:,what can i do to help then as i can change the flooring in his cage but as i said he does not really go in there ? thanks x

thik layer of hay or soft flooring would help, bandaging them if they bleed and flamazine (im sorry if i get the name wrong raven rex used to suggest it) can help too x

Hi,i have put him in his cage for now with about 5inch thick of really soft hay so its nice and cushioned its just i will have to keep him shut in for a while and keep him off the tiled kitchen floor and dont know how we will go on as everywhere else is carpet which is also supposed to be bad :cry:

Hi,i have put him in his cage for now with about 5inch thick of really soft hay so its nice and cushioned its just i will have to keep him shut in for a while and keep him off the tiled kitchen floor and dont know how we will go on as everywhere else is carpet which is also supposed to be bad :cry:

keeping him shut in will not be a permenant solution i think the best thing is to let him run around on the tiled floor rather than the carpet i think some carpets are worse than others, fur on rex hocks rarely grows back (to my knowledge) but iv looked through the search function on sore hocks and found these threads which are useful reading to you
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=223308&highlight=flamazine
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=199168&highlight=flamazine
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182903&highlight=flamazine
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179998&highlight=flamazine

Thankyou,i will have a look at those now,at the mo he does not go on the carpet but has the run of the kitchen 24/7 which has ceramic tiles down but was not sure whether that was as bad x

I actually have aloe vera gel in as i used it for my chinchilla once so may dab a bit on ,just wanted to catch it before they get sore,thanks for the help x

Back