• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

saline *it's 9pm and the vet just rang me!*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
the saline the vets sent is different to the usual bags. i know they will have some from different companies so the packaging will be different but...

the usual bags said

'500ml vetivex 11, solution for infusion, compound sodium lactate, sterile apyrogenic solution'

the new bags say

'500ml aquapharm, sodium chloride, solution for infusion, sterile non-apyrogenic infusion solution'

are they the same thing?? :? i don't want to risk giving the buns the nebuliser incase it's not the same. but equally, i don't want them missing nebuliser today while i wait to ring the vets tomorrow.

so does anyone know? :wave:

Last edited:
vetivex no. 11 isn't saline, it is compound sodium lactate, normally known as hartmans or lactated ringers.

Normal saline will usually say no. 1 somewhere. The new one should be fine to use.

vetivex no. 11 isn't saline, it is compound sodium lactate, normally known as hartmans or lactated ringers.

Normal saline will usually say no. 1 somewhere. The new one should be fine to use.

why have they been giving me the vetivex one then if it's not saline :? because when i order it i always ask for more of the saline drip bags and i get sent that.

i asked for the same thing this time and got sent the other one.

i don't get it.

really annoys me this vets, they send the wrong things, mess up all the time. :evil: now i will have to ring yet again to ask why they have been having the vetivex one, and now it's different. :evil:

Vetivex (or Aquapharm) no. 11 is the standard drip most vets keep in- it is used for shock, rehydration etc.

Vetixex/aquapharm no. 1- normal saline- is usually kept in as well but is generally less commonly used.

I doubt the no. 11 would do any harm whatsoever but it's possible the receptionist didn't know the difference- maybe ring them tomorrow and double check- it could be more of a problem if the nurse was to use the wrong fluid in a patient's drip line.

Vetivex (or Aquapharm) no. 11 is the standard drip most vets keep in- it is used for shock, rehydration etc.

Vetixex/aquapharm no. 1- normal saline- is usually kept in as well but is generally less commonly used.

I doubt the no. 11 would do any harm whatsoever but it's possible the receptionist didn't know the difference- maybe ring them tomorrow and double check- it could be more of a problem if the nurse was to use the wrong fluid in a patient's drip line.

yeh, i will ring and check. just means i can't give them their nebuliser today. i can't risk it until i know now. which is not going to do them any good.

just fed up of them always getting everything wrong now.

yeh, i will ring and check. just means i can't give them their nebuliser today. i can't risk it until i know now. which is not going to do them any good.

just fed up of them always getting everything wrong now.

I would use it- the new one sounds fine (does is say a no. 1 or have the strength of the saline on it anywhere e.g. 0.9%?)

- the question is whether the previous ones were correct xx

I would use it- the new one sounds fine (does is say a no. 1 or have the strength of the saline on it anywhere e.g. 0.9%?)

- the question is whether the previous ones were correct xx

yes, it has number 1 on it, and says 0.9%

the other one has 0.6% of the same sodium chlroide, but then has other things in aswell.

i'm really angry now, i could have been giving them the wrong thing for months and months. if they got it wrong that first time, then that will be what is on the notes and they will have just sent that again the other times.

i'm going to have to speak to aidan because the staff obviously have no clue.

if the vetivex one is used for shock, does that mean it calms them down? because i always said they go sleepy in the nebuliser.

i am really angry now, and scared they have been having the wrong thing for all this time. :cry:

if the vetivex one is used for shock, does that mean it calms them down? because i always said they go sleepy in the nebuliser.

i am really angry now, and scared they have been having the wrong thing for all this time. :cry:

No it won't calm them down.
I'm sure the no 11 won't have done any harm at all but I would just speak to them to put your mind at rest- it may have been a simple typo xx

No it won't calm them down.
I'm sure the no 11 won't have done any harm at all but I would just speak to them to put your mind at rest- it may have been a simple typo xx

everything must be a simple typo with them. don't think they even bother checking the notes. my last order was wrong aswell. can't think of many times it has been right. :evil: only stay at that vets because of how good aidan is.

i'll ring them first thing and speak to aidan. thanks. x

well, they haven't rang me. probably didn't even tell him, they don't like me there because i'm always complaining. now i have to ring again which makes me feel awkward, they talk to me like i'm stupid, and then i still don't hear anything for ages. gets me so angry :evil:

i am so angry :evil:

just rang again and he wouldn't have even rang me back until tomorrow but she managed to speak to him and i shouldn't have been using the vetivex 11 in the nebuliser that they have been sending me all these months.

he said i should have been using the one i got sent this time, the sodium chloride one, or tap water.

he told her he doesn't know what the sodium lactate would do in the nebuliser and i said could it have affected them in some way, and she laughed and said 'obviously not, you would have noticed' :evil: but i said can they know for sure it hasn't damaged them inside or something, so she said she will get aidan to ring me tomorrow and speak to me.

i am so upset :cry: what if they have got damage, what if i hadn't checked. :cry:

they have been on it for months and months, they didn't even check for me. so looks like the wrong one was sent out the first time, which has stayed on the notes, so i have been sent that same on everytime.

what have i been giving them. :cry::cry::cry:

i hate that vets, i wouldn't trust them not to give them the wrong thing if they had to stay there. :cry:

aidan has been the best for them, but the staff are useless. :cry:

:cry:

vet just rang me, at this time! :shock:

he was very apologetic. said he doesn't know why they keep messing up my orders.

he said they have been having the wrong thing, but it won't have done them any harm. he said i should be using hypertonic saline, which is the first bag of saline he gave me. they then should have sent that the next time and have got the wrong one, and kept sending that same one. :roll:

he said they are struggling to get hypertonic saline at the minute, so i should ask for the normal saline (sodium chloride) to use instead.

he said some people do use tap water, but he said bisc and matt need the saline ideally.

he said it was very embarrassing how they keep messing up, and i told him what one of the staff said and he said 'she said that? she should know better! ' :lol:

well it seems sorted for now. glad he took time to ring and sort it out with me though. :)

eta: and he said don't worry, the reception staff don't work in the back so if bisc and matt ever stay in, they will be well looked after with staff who would know the different meds and saline off by heart. which is reassuring. :)

Last edited:
Well I'm glad you got it sorted. Hopefully they will take steps to ensure the reception staff won't make the same mistake again xx

Well I'm glad you got it sorted. Hopefully they will take steps to ensure the reception staff won't make the same mistake again xx

this must be at least the 10th time an order has been wrong! :roll: at least i have spoken to aidan and i know exactly what they are meant to be on, so i can tell them exactly. mind you, i have done that before and they have still got it wrong. :roll:

it's a good job i am the type of owner who double checks everything, because there are some people who wouldn't and just give them what the vets had sent. :shock: it's so easy for there to be a typo or something.

i am so glad it won't have done the buns any harm.

i even bought a new nebuliser because the other stuff didn't seem to steam very well. :roll: this actual saline steams great!! probably why it is used in the nebuliser and the other isn't!! :lol:

least it's sorted now. and aidan took the time to ring me tonight to apologise. :)

Back