• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Bun...

abi2047

Mama Doe
As most of you know I am only a teen so I live with my mum, how do I go about convincing her to let me have Riley as a house bun?

Firstly, please consider both your rooms and buns safety!

Is your room bunny-proofable? Can you hide all cables / provide a safe area for the bunny? How large is your room?

House bunnies can be VERY rewarding, BUT there are a lot of things you will need to do to ensure your buns safety and happiness :)

Firstly, please consider both your rooms and buns safety!

Is your room bunny-proofable? Can you hide all cables / provide a safe area for the bunny? How large is your room?

House bunnies can be VERY rewarding, BUT there are a lot of things you will need to do to ensure your buns safety and happiness :)

The rooms I would want him in are the hallway, kitchen and dining room and they are all bunny proof and safe for him but my mum says no because I don't want him pooping and weeing everywhere :(

After having 2 houserabbits I would never consider keeping any outdoors in a hutch anymore! They are so lovely to have freeranging around the house.

Louie has only ever chewed wires, doesn't bother with furniture, doors etc so all I have had to do is to protect the wires.

They are so rewarding and you have such fun with them when they are around you all day.

Good luck!

Louie has used a littertray successfully since the day we brought him home! Sometimes the odd poo lands on the floor but mostly they stay in the tray!

Keep us posted. :wave: I'm nearly 40 but live with my parents, so Spenser is an outside bun. To be honest, I think he considers the hutch as 'home' although he does enjoy indoor playtime. If the weather gets really bad he is to move into the conservatory. He never poos or pees in the house, which is part of the problem as I would need him to use a tray if he was going to live indoors!

You need to make sure anywhere u dont want chewing is protected just in case, Mylo has wrecked much in the time we have had him (10 months) so we have been lucky but i reckon if we left any cables out then he would chew straight through them. He has wrecked a rug so if you have carpet you need to be prepared for him to dig/chew at that!

After having an indoor rabbit i would never ever have one outside, hes like a little dog and comes over to me when i shout him, etc!

I wouldn't suggest the kitchen as a good idea for obvious reasons unless it's large and sectioned off. Try telling her that if your bun is indoors it won't need so much spent on bedding out the hutch could also be healthy as it won't catch cold/suffer from the cold. That it would be better for the bun coz he will have more stimulation and that you and your mum will also get lots from it as well as they are very entertaining. Also that rodents won't be tempted to camp out in you garden.

Good luck let me know if you manage to persuade her.:)

I wouldn't suggest the kitchen as a good idea for obvious reasons unless it's large and sectioned off. Try telling her that if your bun is indoors it won't need so much spent on bedding out the hutch could also be healthy as it won't catch cold/suffer from the cold. That it would be better for the bun coz he will have more stimulation and that you and your mum will also get lots from it as well as they are very entertaining. Also that rodents won't be tempted to camp out in you garden.

I can tell you what worked for me but it was a bit extreme! First Mischa got ill so he came indoors temporarily, then when he got better and was bonded with Mini Mini dislocated her hip, had an op and a spay within 3 days so I kept them both indoors for a few months and then well, they never went back outside. :lol:

You need to make sure wires, even little ones are protected. I could write you a long list of what mine have chewed but I won't. :lol: Also anything wooden at their level is possibly up for grabs. I try to keep wooden things to a minimum so in one room my desk has metal legs, all my stuff is in a large bookcase with wire panels in front of it, the woodwork (ie door and wooden slope) is also behind panels. In my other room I have everything in my wardrobe or in plastic crates under the bed. The two in my room are very good and don't tend to chew on stuff so I can be a bit more relaxed with them and so my wardrobe doesn't need protecting and my bed legs are wood.

Having bunnies really forces you to be tidy! Don't think you can leave clothes on the floor! I have several holey tops! :lol:

These are some pictures of my setups.

Study/Lionheads room... (as you can see they've chewed the ottoman but I'm not worried about that, it has all their stuff in)
_IGP0563-vi.jpg

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

Bedroom/Lops room:
_IGP8725-vi.jpg

Photo0412-vi.jpg

I'd tell her how much more you and they will get from it. That he'll be protected form foxes and that he'll be less likely to get ill as you'll see any signs of illness quicker. I'd PROMISE to her how you will keep him clean and tidy and then stick to that. I've always taken responsibility for mine and I'm the one who cleans their rooms and tidies their areas.

I can tell you what worked for me but it was a bit extreme! First Mischa got ill so he came indoors temporarily, then when he got better and was bonded with Mini Mini dislocated her hip, had an op and a spay within 3 days so I kept them both indoors for a few months and then well, they never went back outside. :lol:

You need to make sure wires, even little ones are protected. I could write you a long list of what mine have chewed but I won't. :lol: Also anything wooden at their level is possibly up for grabs. I try to keep wooden things to a minimum so in one room my desk has metal legs, all my stuff is in a large bookcase with wire panels in front of it, the woodwork (ie door and wooden slope) is also behind panels. In my other room I have everything in my wardrobe or in plastic crates under the bed. The two in my room are very good and don't tend to chew on stuff so I can be a bit more relaxed with them and so my wardrobe doesn't need protecting and my bed legs are wood.

Having bunnies really forces you to be tidy! Don't think you can leave clothes on the floor! I have several holey tops! :lol:

These are some pictures of my setups.

Study/Lionheads room... (as you can see they've chewed the ottoman but I'm not worried about that, it has all their stuff in)
_IGP0563-vi.jpg

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

Bedroom/Lops room:
_IGP8725-vi.jpg

Photo0412-vi.jpg

I'd tell her how much more you and they will get from it. That he'll be protected form foxes and that he'll be less likely to get ill as you'll see any signs of illness quicker. I'd PROMISE to her how you will keep him clean and tidy and then stick to that. I've always taken responsibility for mine and I'm the one who cleans their rooms and tidies their areas.

He wont be living in my bedroom he would be living in my lounge, hallway and dining room during the day when someone can supervise him and at night he would be confined to either the kitchen or hallway. Everytime I try to talk to my mum about it she seems to get annoyed and moody. I might write her a letter with a list of all the positive and negative things, not that there would be any negatives. Do you think the letter is a good idea? He wont be aloud in my bedroom or lounge because we have just had new carpets layed in those rooms :lol: Mum has agreed to let Riley stay indoors for the night on bonfire night because that will be when we have a huge firework display near my house and if all goes well then I might consider writing the letter to say how good he was for one night and that he will learn to adjust to using a litter tray etc. :D

He wont be living in my bedroom he would be living in my lounge, hallway and dining room during the day when someone can supervise him and at night he would be confined to either the kitchen or hallway. Everytime I try to talk to my mum about it she seems to get annoyed and moody. I might write her a letter with a list of all the positive and negative things, not that there would be any negatives. Do you think the letter is a good idea? He wont be aloud in my bedroom or lounge because we have just had new carpets layed in those rooms :lol: Mum has agreed to let Riley stay indoors for the night on bonfire night because that will be when we have a huge firework display near my house and if all goes well then I might consider writing the letter to say how good he was for one night and that he will learn to adjust to using a litter tray etc. :D

I was just showing the pictures so you can get an idea of bunnyproofing really. You have to choose the room that works for you. For me it's the bedroom and study but for others it might be their lounge or dining room or kitchen. The lounge doesn't work for us because there are too many hiding places, our dining room opens on the garden which can't be bunny-proofed so they would escape and foxes might come in and our kitchen is very small so no room for them.

I'd bare in mind that even when supervised they can get up to stuff when you're not looking. They can get into corners that you can't see. They are FAST at destroying cables. There are negatives, the thing is to find solutions to them. Sometimes there are negatives you can't forsee. For instance, in the study room we used to have carpet. It was a manic pattern and they were weeing on it but I didn't realise because I simply couldn't see it within the pattern.

That makes it sound like I don't like them indoors! I do, I love it. But one of my pairs is just messier and cheekier and naughtier than the other, so I've had my fair share of 'whoops, naughty rabbit' moments. :lol:

A letter is a good idea, or alternatively write a list of positives and negatives, solutions to those negatives and show it to your Mum. Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm sure if you show you've thought it out logically and are willing to take responsibility that your Mum will consider it. Maybe you can even suggest a trial period.

Last edited:
I was just showing the pictures so you can get an idea of bunnyproofing really. You have to choose the room that works for you. For me it's the bedroom and study but for others it might be their lounge or dining room or kitchen. The lounge doesn't work for us because there are too many hiding places, our dining room opens on the garden which can't be bunny-proofed so they would escape and foxes might come in and our kitchen is very small so no room for them.

I'd bare in mind that even when supervised they can get up to stuff when you're not looking. They can get into corners that you can't see. They are FAST at destroying cables. There are negatives, the thing is to find solutions to them. Sometimes there are negatives you can't forsee. For instance, in the study room we used to have carpet. It was a manic pattern and they were weeing on it but I didn't realise because I simply couldn't see it within the pattern.

That makes it sound like I don't like them indoors! I do, I love it. But one of my pairs is just messier and cheekier and naughtier than the other, so I've had my fair share of 'whoops, naughty rabbit' moments. :lol:

A letter is a good idea, or alternatively write a list of positives and negatives, solutions to those negatives and show it to your Mum. Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm sure if you show you've thought it out logically and are willing to take responsibility that your Mum will consider it. Maybe you can even suggest a trial period.

I am 14 years old. All of the rooms are bunny proof anyway :)
I have always taken full responsibilty of him :)

if riley is a single bunny then,
1. he will get much mroe company and its cheaper than a second bunny ( you can still get him a freind in the future its just an initial plead!!!)
2. its warmer for him over the winter months he would get more space time out as he has to be in when its dark, and you could compromise and say he will go back out nce spring comes,
3. it will stop you tramping mud and wet through the house as you wont be in and out to the garden feeding and cleaning him,
4. if he is litter trained he will be no dirtier indoors than a cat would be and his poops dont smell (unless not cleaned out!!)
5. it allows him to become more of a family pet and for you all to get to know him better
6. you will never ask for anything ever again (ok not true but its oone i think i used as a youngster a lot lol)
7. that he wont be eating your mums flowers in the garden and she can have pretty rows of flowers etc,
8. you will mow the lawn instead of riley

write a letter from riley,
Dear Mum,
i am riley, as you know i live in your garden, much as i love my garden home its getting a bit colder out here now, and i noticed what lovely warm rooms you have also its getting lonely when (put your name) isnt around to cuddle and stroke me and i just know i would see more of him if i joined you in the house, i would be a good bunny and wouldnt get underfoot, id save you composting the left over carrot tops when you cook by munching them as a treat and id curl up on your lap or feet keeping them warm (thus saving you costly heating bills or expensive jumpers) i will do all my business in a litter box and as my humin child will empty it daily it wont smell, i would love to get to know you more and the rest of the family i sometimes feel a little excluded being out here, if there is any way you could at least agree to a trial during the harsh winter months i know i could prove how good i can be, and should you feel it isnt workin i could come back outside in spring! whaddaya say mum? (its ok to call you that right? that is what humin child says your name is?)
lots of love and snuggles,
paws and love Riley xxx

Erm....I just moved Hugo into my bedroom. Mummy never made a fuss! :lol:

In fact...she moved him into the kitchen so he could have company in the day!

Back