• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour

molly35

Mama Doe
Has anyone else ever seen this sort of behaviour in a bun before?

My new foster bun is 4 years old but he is very very 'unenergetic' (sorry can't think of the right word to use). He has been out today and yesterday in the run in the garden and has just sat in a corner and not touched the grass. I've tried to tempt him with loads of different foods and all the other buns would have them eaten within seconds this one won't touch them. He even leaves his pellets. I have had him in the house and he just sits and won't explore.

He has been checked by vet before coming to me and is fine health wise. He just seems sad. Any ideas to 'perk' him up or is that just the way he is?! I know I haven't kept many buns before but I have never seen this sort of behaviour.

Has anyone else ever seen this sort of behaviour in a bun before?

My new foster bun is 4 years old but he is very very 'unenergetic' (sorry can't think of the right word to use). He has been out today and yesterday in the run in the garden and has just sat in a corner and not touched the grass. I've tried to tempt him with loads of different foods and all the other buns would have them eaten within seconds this one won't touch them. He even leaves his pellets. I have had him in the house and he just sits and won't explore.

He has been checked by vet before coming to me and is fine health wise. He just seems sad. Any ideas to 'perk' him up or is that just the way he is?! I know I haven't kept many buns before but I have never seen this sort of behaviour.

what kind of history does he have? Maybe he just doesnt know what to do?

As far as I am aware he was only ever fed hay and pellets no veggies etc and kept on his own. And thats about all I know.

Poor little fellow. :( Perhaps he is just a bit daunted by new surroundings. When did he arrive? It sounds as if you have tried all the usual foods that would tempt a bunny - did you get a note of his favourites? I suppose you have tried giving him a cardboard box? Hope he perks up soon, but we're into the 'sleepy' time of a bunny's day now.

I picked him up on Wednesday, he was only in the rescue for a few days getting vacc'd as he was already neutered before he came to me and she said exactly the same thing about him. He doesn't have any favourite foods as he was never given anything but hay and pellets.

He was out from 9.30 till 4pm yesterday and didn't move from the corner of the run and has been out since 10 this morning and hasn't moved a muscle from the corner, I don't think he's ate a blade of grass. He's also been in the house in the evenings and still won't move.

Have you tried herbs? If his scent of smell is OK that should get a bit of interest - positive or negative 9my Spenser loves parsley but hates basil). Does he tolerate handling and respond at all to your voice? Maybe you could try keeping him in a smaller area to see if it makes him feel more confident about exploring. It does sound very odd. :? What was he like in the evening yesterday?

I have tried dried mixed herbs and fresh herbs I grow myself.

If I put him on the floor he just sits in one spot not moving, otherwise I have him cuddled on my knee and he will sit for hours.

It sounds so odd that I think if he was my bunny I might want to have him checked again by the vet. Surely there must be something wrong for a bunny to be as still as that? :? You could try posting in 'Rabbit Care Discussion' to see if you get a more expert response.

Does he startle easily? Do you know how his eyesight is?

No he doesn't startle easily and I think his eyesight is okay as he can see my hands coming to pick him up when he's in the hutch as he grunts and runs upstairs/downstairs.

No he doesn't startle easily and I think his eyesight is okay as he can see my hands coming to pick him up when he's in the hutch as he grunts and runs upstairs/downstairs.

Maybe just got to get used to different food and different living conditions?

Forum member Rhianna's, Furby (one of the lymington buns i think) was the same. He'd been in a tiny hutch for his whole life and didnt know what to do with the space.

I believe he's getting better now though and explores a lot more. It was all time and love from what i remember.

Would getting him a partner be a possibility in the future? Perhaps he is lonely? :(

Forum member Rhianna's, Furby (one of the lymington buns i think) was the same. He'd been in a tiny hutch for his whole life and didnt know what to do with the space.

I believe he's getting better now though and explores a lot more. It was all time and love from what i remember.

Would getting him a partner be a possibility in the future? Perhaps he is lonely? :(

I think this may be the case with him. Being a rescue bun I don't know his full background. Also the partner thing would be in the hands of his new parents as I am only fostering him, unless a suitable lady comes in before he is rehomed.

He spent most of the afternoon in the house and only moved to get himself more comfortable then spent the evening cuddled on my knee.

At least he likes to find a comfortable position.. Graham's comparison with Furby is a good one: I think with buns who have led a very limited life it can take more time than we would like for them to realise they have more options. Poor wee fellow, but he's in good hands now. :wave:

Back