• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded male and female neutered rabbits problems... PLEASE HELP

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hello

I have a problem with one of my bonded pair of bunnies... Gizmo & alex.

They have been fine for ages and suddenly things have changed. Gizmo has stomach problems and sometimes gets a mucky bottom so alex tries to clean him.... but gizmo has tickly feet [i assume] and runs as soon as she tries to go near him back end.... so then alex gets angry and chases him and takes mouthfuls of fur out of him :( he is an angora so there is plenty there but i am worried about the chasing and the stress they both seem to go through.:cry: Also its not only when alex tries grooming gizmo that she suddenly turns nasty... it can be when they are playing [chasing etc] she attacks suddenly or if gizmo is having a run she sometimes decides to take a chunk.

ALso another thing that might or might not be relavent to this ,... Gizmo has no front teeth so struggles grooming and defending himself. Alex will sit and groom gizmos head etc but we never see gizmo groom alex.... yet he will happily sit and groom me or hubby... why is this???

Please help. So far we have no injuries but i am worried that its only a matter of time

Sorry I'm not as experienced as some on here but have you been to vet the aggression could be caused by an underlying illness. The thing with buns is it's never obvious unless they exhibit signs or go off their food.

I am sure others will be along soon to offer advice they may be more help.

I hope you manage to sort it out soon it sounds stressful for everybun/body xx

deos alex have any eye sight problems i too think its probebly due to underlying cause such as the mucky bum and other bunny seeing it as a weakness maybe? sorry i think maybe try them in a smaller space until things are more stable and then gradually re introduce more space not full rebond just a precaution? x

hi

thanks for the advise. Gizmo and alex get regular check ups due to gizmo's problems so i know alex is healthy and she can deffinately see but do think you might be on to something with the alex seeing gizmos lack of defence and mucky bum as weaknesses.... but what i dont get is why one min she is attacking him and the next she is grooming his head and laying down with him. ???:?

hi

thanks for the advise. Gizmo and alex get regular check ups due to gizmo's problems so i know alex is healthy and she can deffinately see but do think you might be on to something with the alex seeing gizmos lack of defence and mucky bum as weaknesses.... but what i dont get is why one min she is attacking him and the next she is grooming his head and laying down with him. ???:?
no idea, maybe she just gets annoyed if he is smelly with a sicky bum, bit like we might throw a pillow at a hubby/boyf if they broke wind and didnt say excuse me? lol all i can think of...sorry...

:lol::lol::lol: maybe it is this... although we do keep him as clean as possible . i just hope someone can think of a solution

no idea, maybe she just gets annoyed if he is smelly with a sicky bum, bit like we might throw a pillow at a hubby/boyf if they broke wind and didnt say excuse me? lol all i can think of...sorry...

Back