• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!

sherz_umr

New Kit
hi..my rabit,abt 1yr old hs sore hocks..i din no abt ths disease,plus din no he gt it coz othr rabbits wr showin othr symptoms..
How do i treat hm?
Al hs feet hs blck scabs wch obviously hurts hm..hes lost weight..a lot..cnt wlk.dosnt eat mch..patchs of skin show on hs face..hs face droops lke hes goin2 die..hs poops weird..usual black balls..al r strung 2gthr by sme white sticky jely lke string.
I separatd hm 4m othrs..put hm n a separate cage..bathd hm n warm saline..dried hm with towl nd sunlite..aplied neosporin2 lesion..tied it wit cloth (wch it rmvd).cage s mde of net..s6 tht d pee nd poop wil go dwn..he lies on a sml plank soft wood..plnty2 eat nd drink.nw wot?

hi..my rabit,abt 1yr old hs sore hocks..i din no abt ths disease,plus din no he gt it coz othr rabbits wr showin othr symptoms..
How do i treat hm?
Al hs feet hs blck scabs wch obviously hurts hm..hes lost weight..a lot..cnt wlk.dosnt eat mch..patchs of skin show on hs face..hs face droops lke hes goin2 die..hs poops weird..usual black balls..al r strung 2gthr by sme white sticky jely lke string.
I separatd hm 4m othrs..put hm n a separate cage..bathd hm n warm saline..dried hm with towl nd sunlite..aplied neosporin2 lesion..tied it wit cloth (wch it rmvd).cage s mde of net..s6 tht d pee nd poop wil go dwn..he lies on a sml plank soft wood..plnty2 eat nd drink.nw wot?

Take him to a Vet !!

i hope that this rabbit seriously hasnt been left to get this ill :( he needs vetinary treatment immediatly, sore hocks are often caused by the surface the rabbit lives on net would cause abbrasion as would plank of wood, its difficult to read your message as it is in full txt speak, but it sounds like your rabbit has stasis(where the gut stops moving) and needs immediate vetinary treatment, he likely needs antibiotics for his sore hocks and give him a layer of sponge or an old douvet to hop on as this will be softer or a thick (1-2feet deep) layer of hay which again is soft, i am greatly concerned he has bald patches on his skin on his face, this could be mites, stress, or the begginings of myxi depending on the full extent of his injurys has he been fighting possibly with your other rabbits? what symptoms have they shown? it is something any rabbit can get but some breeds are more prone to hock problems there are special creams you can get to help treating it from your vet, flamazine i think it is called? also he needs immediate pain relief and anti inflammatry again your vet can prescribe something likely metacam.

ouch..i typed this big reply but that is gone..
Ok..here goes.firstly im sorry i did not type my post properly..2nd No,im not a cruel person who buys animals because they are cute and then lock them up in boxes when i tire of taking care of them.. ;)
I shouldv told this earlier ,im in india and the vets in d state i live in usualy know only about treatin bull/cows,elephants,chicken and dogs..these are what people here usualy keep.from the 3vets i showd,only 1gives a damn.the pet stores here have al posible birds and animals..but nobdy knows the breed,age sometimes evn gender! but vets who know how to treat them are rare oq even nonexistent!.i bought the rabbits coz i felt bad for them wen i saw the awful place they wer squeezed in.we converted a cow shed into a HUGE cage..for 4rabits. V clean the cage too..
The other rabbits are fne except for the male rabbit who used to be with ths sick rabbit. He has lost fur, tiny patches on his face.they dont fight..they had this patch before.i applied a white cream the doc gave me..it ws cured.2 months bk.now its started again..
I just wantd to know about the medicines so that i can discus with the doc..he'l get them from somewhere..try save my rabbit..:cry:

:( sounds like a really difficult situation. Sorry, your message is difficult to understand, but are you using a net/mesh flooring? If so this should be removed and replaced with something solid like plastic or wood, or just the floor of the shed, as it will aggravate his sore hocks even further.

He probably needs to stay at the vets and be given
  • gut stimulant - maxolon syrup/metaclopromide (unsure of spelling sorry) over here
  • injected pain relief
  • sub-cutaneous (again sorry about spelling!) fluids as he is probably dehydrated
  • an anti-inflammatory
  • something for his hocks - I think bunlover has mentioned flamazine? But I'm sorry I'm unsure of the name. His feet will probably need to be bandaged as well.

Make sure he has unlimited hay at all times if you aren't already, and take him to the vet right now!! As these problems sound very serious.

Do you have access to vaccinations where you are? The bald patches could be myxomatosis :( which can be vaccinated against. Unfortunately I'm unsure of treatment and I think it would be impossible in an unvaccinated rabbit.

Good luck, it sounds like you are doing the best you can :(

ouch..i typed this big reply but that is gone..
Ok..here goes.firstly im sorry i did not type my post properly..2nd No,im not a cruel person who buys animals because they are cute and then lock them up in boxes when i tire of taking care of them.. ;)
I shouldv told this earlier ,im in india and the vets in d state i live in usualy know only about treatin bull/cows,elephants,chicken and dogs..these are what people here usualy keep.from the 3vets i showd,only 1gives a damn.the pet stores here have al posible birds and animals..but nobdy knows the breed,age sometimes evn gender! but vets who know how to treat them are rare oq even nonexistent!.i bought the rabbits coz i felt bad for them wen i saw the awful place they wer squeezed in.we converted a cow shed into a HUGE cage..for 4rabits. V clean the cage too..
The other rabbits are fne except for the male rabbit who used to be with ths sick rabbit. He has lost fur, tiny patches on his face.they dont fight..they had this patch before.i applied a white cream the doc gave me..it ws cured.2 months bk.now its started again..
I just wantd to know about the medicines so that i can discus with the doc..he'l get them from somewhere..try save my rabbit..:cry:

im sorry if i sounded judgemental most of the posters on ru are from uk and would have easy access to a vet to help, i now fully understnad your situation and am sorry if i sounded mean earlier, you can apply sudo creme if you have that in india? ((sorry if dont) to the sore hocks adn i would ask a vet for baytril and metacam these will cover pain, inflamation and any infection, regarding the missing fur patches it sounds more like mites now you have described and i would think using ivermetican would cure it. as mentioned changing to a thick layer of hay on the floor rather than the netting would probebbly help greatly with the feet problem you arent a bad owner im sorry if i made you feel this way just in a difficult position trying to help your bunnies, good luck at getting this treated. xx

:( sounds like a really difficult situation. Sorry, your message is difficult to understand, but are you using a net/mesh flooring? If so this should be removed and replaced with something solid like plastic or wood, or just the floor of the shed, as it will aggravate his sore hocks even further.

He probably needs to stay at the vets and be given
  • gut stimulant - maxolon syrup/metaclopromide (unsure of spelling sorry) over here
  • injected pain relief
  • sub-cutaneous (again sorry about spelling!) fluids as he is probably dehydrated
  • an anti-inflammatory
  • something for his hocks - I think bunlover has mentioned flamazine? But I'm sorry I'm unsure of the name. His feet will probably need to be bandaged as well.

Make sure he has unlimited hay at all times if you aren't already, and take him to the vet right now!! As these problems sound very serious.

Do you have access to vaccinations where you are? The bald patches could be myxomatosis :( which can be vaccinated against. Unfortunately I'm unsure of treatment and I think it would be impossible in an unvaccinated rabbit.

Good luck, it sounds like you are doing the best you can :(
agree with all of the above. x

Back