• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uncle (bun) has a tumor on his liver. He has gained weight

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
I am starting this thread in the hopes it might help me to cope as his health deteriates.
It was diagnosed when he went for his regular dental last week and the vet was concerned about his weight loss. X-rays proved she was correct to be concerned.
Before this diagnoses i had no idea there was any thing wrong, although he has never been the healthiest bunny due to neglect in his past life.
When he had his inscisors removed two years ago this gave him a new lease of life. He has always had problems passing urine so has always had to be kept clean
However he has led a good quality of life and has free range of the house and has a lovely companion called Henry.
Photos can be seen on his first thread.
This morning, although he does not appear poorly his appitite is not as good as it was. He is presently surrounded by six dishes with various types of food in but he only has the occasional nibble from them Its a good job Henry is asleep upstairs or he would have nommed the lot:lol:
I am trying to keep cheerfull and not spend the time he has left grieving over him before he is gone:(

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, that sort of news is every bunny owner's worst nightmare.

I hope the early diagnosis will help with his quality of life and your ability to make the most of your time together *hugs*

Oh I've just read this April I'm so very sorry as I love Uncle as you know. Our Chloe also had a tumor on her liver. :(

Sending mega Vibes for Uncle xx

So sorry to read this about Uncle. You are being very positive and want to spend the time with him being as happy as possible. I hope the milk thistle will help.

Sorry to hear about Chloe, how long where you aware she had it for?

We didn't, she just wasn't herself and she stopped eating one day and Mike took her to the Vet's and they did x-rays and found something and rang us back to see if they could open her up and we said yes and when they did she had a tumor on her liver and old and new abscesses on her kidney's and so we had to let her go as the abscesses on her kidney's were causing kidney failure. It was heartbreaking as we didn't know just how bad she was . :cry:

Sorry to read this news about Uncle, but it's good you are thinking positive about ways to make the time he has left as comfortable as possible. Thinking of you.

Uncle ate his brekky and had his meds but a couple of hours later he was looking distressed. He was curling his abdomen into the ground and kept reaching around both sides as if to clean himself then would stretch his back legs out. Spoke to vet and said to bring him, so i dropped everthing and set off on what turned out to be a five hour journey:shock:
She immediately give him a pain killer injection as he was shuddering with pain but could find no reason for his pain by feeling him and said his dodgey bladder felt fine so she took him away for x-rays.
She said due to the medication he is now on his heart and lungs actually looked better the only thing different was a tiny thing in or on his kidney that had showed up on previous x-ray was not there now. Then she showed me todays x-ray. the tiny thing was not there but there was a dot close to his bladder ( are you managing to follow this:oops:)
She thinks it is a kidney stone that has moved and caused his pain and it was almost in his bladder.
We decided he should come home with pain killing ijections as he does not eat well at vets.
I have just syringe fed him then he ate a dandylion:) He is now fast asleep under a fleece. I hope he will get well again

Uncle is quite well this morning (dare i say that!)
He is nibbling various bits. I had decided against giving him the vetergeic injection last night as he was showing no sign of pain, and after every syringe feed he would slowly eat a dandylion:). He was quite sleepy and i felt the injection might add to this and slow down his gut, and keep him too sleepy to eat as i had been having to wake him to syringe feed him.
I need to ask now if it is likley the stone will pass out in his urine (which could be a problem as he is not good at passing urine:() or if it could cause further problems.

So glad he's perked up this morning :) He's such a good boy for his mummy :love:

What are thr options if he can't pass it? Is there something he can take to break it down or wouldit have to be surgical? keeping fingers crossed he manages to pass it and lots of pain free vibes xxx

Back