• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A tough couple of weeks

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Steve and I have both been really ill for the past couple of weeks, with no outside help at all it has been really hard to keep going but i can safely say none of the bunnies have missed out on anything. Steve has struggled with vet visits and buying veg for the bunnies and I have literally been crawling on my hands and knees to keep them clean fed and exercised.

Unfortunately many of the bunnies have also been very ill, so thought I would do a quick update as I know they have a lot of sponsors on here who want to be kept upto date.

Firstly we lost our little Fidget on the 20th :cry: It all happened so quickly and still hasn;t sunk in. When I popped him in his carrier for the vets I had no idea he wouldn't be coming home, so feel awful I never said goodbye to him :cry::cry:

Daisy has started fitting, her cancer has spread to her brain so we know her time is now very limited. Thankfully she recovers extremely quickly from the fits and is munching away within minutes :)

Dave's neurological condition is also deteriorating rapidly, so much so he now had to be admitted and sedated just to burr his incisors as his head is continually weaving about and he gets very distressed.

Mixed news for Babs. She is now happily bonded to Geoff and they have moved into their new (nearly completed) run. However her pasturella infection has returned although it does appear to be responding well to antibiotics again. Also now she is in a much larger space we can see how weak her hind legs really are, she has had several falls but there is a chance with the extra exercise they may improve.

We are very concerned about Bic and Biro. They are now 11 weeks old and still so tiny:( Bic put on around 50g between 7 weeks and 10 weeks but Biro lost weight :( They are so under developed and underweight that the vets still cannot sex them and they were unable to have their vaccinations. They spend all their time fluffed up huddled together despite being in a centrally heated room, so we now give them round the clock heatpads which they love. They have been started on panacur and we are trying to feed them up with porridge etc but it just upsets their tummies :(

Brendan is also struggling, partly because he hates being on his own and partly because his chronic pneumonia has flared up. We were hoping to bond him to Mini Mouse this week as she is also very sad but this will have to be put on hold while we wait to see if he responds to meds.

Finally, Herman Bunster - we are very concern about his weight loss as is the vet. He is drinking over a bowl a day and his hutch is always soaking wet. We need to get a urine sample next week and when he has a follow up for his teeth ( he needs his peg teeth removing again) he will have blood tests taken.

I think that is about it, sorry for the epic post :oops:

I am still not up to full speed yet, it is going to take awhile so I apologise in advance that I am not going to attempt to catch up with threads or PMs for a bit longer.

Liz Im so sorry you are having such a tough time, words cant really explain how amazing the work you do is. Is there anyone local who can help out?

Not really, no-one really knows we exist, except on here

We haven't even got anyone who can really help looking after us!

I'm so sorry you've been having a hard time of it :cry: it isn't fair, you don't deserve it. I wish I was closer so I could help :(

It sounds as if all the bunnies are getting the usual 5 star treatment. Sorry about Fidget, and the news of the other poorly bunnies. Hope you and Steve are both fully recovered soon. I wish I lived a bit nearer and could have helped out. Take care.

So sorry to hear that you and Steve have been so ill :cry:

I did ask after you last week as I was concerned about you. I really hope that you will both feel stronger soon. Although I am sure that it will take some time.

Lots of vibes for all the Buns too. I can certainly empathise with how draining it can be caring for several seriously ill Rabbits xx

So sorry to hear that you and Steve have been so ill :cry:

I did ask after you last week as I was concerned about you. I really hope that you will both feel stronger soon. Although I am sure that it will take some time.

Lots of vibes for all the Buns too. I can certainly empathise with how draining it can be caring for several seriously ill Rabbits xx

Thank you, its nice to know someone noticed we had gone missing :lol: :wave:

I am so sorry that you have had such a difficult time recently. Lots of vibes for all of your poorly buns and I am sorry to hear about Fidget.

I hope you and Steve soon feel much better. You have definitely been missed on the forum. x

Thank you, its nice to know someone noticed we had gone missing :lol: :wave:

You have definitely been missed, lots of people noticed :D hope you and Steve are taking care of yourselves as much as you are the bunnies, you need 5 star treatment as well!!!

You have definitely been missed, lots of people noticed :D hope you and Steve are taking care of yourselves as much as you are the bunnies, you need 5 star treatment as well!!!

Ooh that would be nice :lol: But the bunnies had to come first, by the time we had sorted them we didn;t have time to look after ourselves, just collapsed in a heap on the sofa with a blanket!

gosh sorry you have had so much on Liz. Sorry for the loss of Fidget, sleep tight little one. Sending vibes for the poorly bunnies, and for you and Steve. x

I"m so sorry everything has been so rough lately and it is so much harder when you are ill too. I hope you feel better soon and I hope for improvement to all your bunnies.

Take care..

Glad you're both feeling better...was worrying about you.
Being o far away sucks....I could have done with the break from Rosie :lol:
Fingers crossed everyone will feel better soon, are there any supplies you guys need at all?

Thanks Sam.

The only thing we are desperate for is newspapers at the moment. It is a real struggle to get enough :(

You do a fantastic job, just thought id say that! Not many people could do what you do :) Can i just ask though do you get discount from your vets? Or do you just get by on donations? I cant imagine how much you spend on vet fees etc :(

You do a fantastic job, just thought id say that! Not many people could do what you do :) Can i just ask though do you get discount from your vets? Or do you just get by on donations? I cant imagine how much you spend on vet fees etc :(

No we don't get any discount from our vets :(

Our vet bills were £1000 - £1500 a month at one point, but we now seem to have got them down to £800 - £900 each month by reducing numbers a bit :)

Sorry your both feeling ill Liz. It must be even harder with so many poorly bunnies too:cry:

Wish I could do something more practical than just send get well wishes, but I hope you both start to feel better soon x

Back