• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Healthy Rabbit just died

sheridan

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

I know I havent posted for a very long time but Im just reeally upset.
I went down this morning to give my outside bunnies their food and I found Furby on her side, non responsive and not breathing. She was still warm and floppy so I tried to look in her mouth to see if anything was blocking it then I tried to massage her heart for a bit.

Unfortunately nothing has worked.
Previous to this, she was completely healthy, fully vaccinated. No issues with eating, drinking, pooping, playing.

It looks like she came down to go in the litter box or get some water when she collapsed.
she was a 4.5 year old rex and her sister is absolutely fine.

Any thoughts on what may have caused this? Im really worried that I may have done something or I should have called the vet?

Worst thing is I said to myself that I was going to take up to date pictures of them today.

Oh goodness I am so sorry :cry:
What a dreadful shock :cry:

The only way to ascertain a possible cause of such a sudden death is to have a PM done. There are so many possible causes all we can do is guess.

Given that she is a Rex a Heart problem is a possibility. But as I say, a PM is really the only way to try to find out.

My sincere condolences to you. Such a tragedy is every Bunny care-giver's worst nightmare :cry:

:( I am so very sorry, you must be absolutely devastated. As Jane says only a PM would confirm a diagnosis.

Thinking of you.

thanks Jacks-Jane,
Yeah its a horrible shock. I thought they would live on for a while. My dad keeps going on about mouse poison that we put out. but it is completely out of the reach of the rabbits and we put it out on monday. Surely she would have had some signs of bleeding or something if she had somehow ingested any of it?

Im hoping it was a quick and painless death.
My worry now is that Ellie, her sister wont last long without her. They didnt really care about me as long as they had each other.:(

thanks Jacks-Jane,
Yeah its a horrible shock. I thought they would live on for a while. My dad keeps going on about mouse poison that we put out. but it is completely out of the reach of the rabbits and we put it out on monday. Surely she would have had some signs of bleeding or something if she had somehow ingested any of it?

Im hoping it was a quick and painless death.
My worry now is that Ellie, her sister wont last long without her. They didnt really care about me as long as they had each other.:(

I know it will be hard for you but I would suggest that you leave Furby with Ellie for a few hours. This really will help her come to terms with her loss.

Sadly if mouse poison was used it is perfectly possible that some of the Rabbit's bedding etc has become contaminated via a mouse :cry:

So I would probably bring Ellie indoors once she has said goodbye to Furby.

Oh god! I never thought about the bedding getting contaminated. Unfortunately now Furby has Rigor Mortum and a bot of blood coming from her nose so I dont think I can put her back with Ellie.
So I might have inadvertantly killed her trying to get rid of the mice! I am so upset!

Oh god! I never thought about the bedding getting contaminated. Unfortunately now Furby has Rigor Mortum and a bot of blood coming from her nose so I dont think I can put her back with Ellie.
So I might have inadvertantly killed her trying to get rid of the mice! I am so upset!

When was her last VHD Vaccination ?

Did the Mouse Poison contain Warfarin ?

They both had their 2 vaccinations in July. They also got their health checks and were said to be fine.

I assume it did contain warfarin as Vit K is said to be the antidote

:cry: thats really sad. ive got no advice but you weren't to know. and i wouldnt of thought of it either. so sorry. :cry:

The thing is that we have been putting rat/mouse/slug poison out for over 3 years and have never had a problem... guess it only takes one..

yeah should be able to.
just noticed 1 other thing. seems like One of the rabbits (assuming Furby) has urinated in 4 different areas of the hutch. They never do that at all. that is since midnight.

if i do get an appointment should I take furbys body with me? how much do they tend to charge for a PM?
dont know if thats just cruel but kind of want to know if it was my fault.

I am so sorry for your loss - what an awful shock.

I had a PM done on one of my buns who died almost as soon as I got her to a vet. The vet wanted to do it as she had no idea why Misty died so she said she wouldn't charge me. Unfortunately, the PM was inconclusive - Misty appeared a healthy rabbit but I have since learned that two of her siblings died in the same way so can only imagine it was something hereditary.

I don't regret having the PM done as if I hadn't I'd have always wondered why she died. I still don't know but I did what I could to find out - if that makes any sense at all.

One of my bunnies bled a lot from the nose after being PTS. I am not sure why.

Sending you and Ellie lots of supportive vibes xxxx

I have asked the vet if I should bring Furbys body in but they have said no. I have an appointment at 11.20 to get ellie checked over.
What should they be looking for so I can make sure it is done

I asked them about a PM. they said that they could do it but it would be done over the next few days and would be unlikely that I would get the body back... really dont know what to do.

Last edited:
I have asked the vet if I should bring Furbys body in but they have said no. I have an appointment at 11.20 to get ellie checked over.
What should they be looking for so I can make sure it is done

I asked them about a PM. they said that they could do it but it would be done over the next few days and would be unlikely that I would get the body back... really dont know what to do.

I think that you need to describe exactly what happened to Furby and also the fact that ingestion of Mouse Poison containing warfarin is possible.

The Vet may want to take a blood test from Ellie to check her clotting factors and Vet may administer a shot of Vit K.

With regards to the PM, if it wont be done for a few days then really there is not much point. To have the best chance of obtaining reliable information a PM needs to be performed ASAP.

Back