• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching my bunny

I'm keen to find a way to round up Bun Bun each day. How do you round your bunnies up?
I like to let her go 'free range' in the garden each day, she just loves the freedom and enjoys nibbling and smelling everything and playing in and out of the nooks and crannies all ady. BUT, when it comes to rounding her up at the end of the day, she has become very elusive and I'm concerned that I'm stressing her out in the process!
I'm considering using a large net on a stick - what do you think?
To start with, she would come to me after about 5-10 mins of following her around. Now she realises what's coming when she sees me rounding her up and is very elusove - it can take me an hour sometimes!
I've used a carrot on a string, this only worked twice.
I'd love to hear how you guys do it…

I 'round up' my pair and walk behind them clapping and direct them back to their shed. When they were house bunnies i did the same thing and directed them back to the house (leaving the door open for them is a must! If you get them to the back door and its shut, you've gotta start all over again!).

Ive had 2 pairs of bunnies and they've all soon learnt what the clapping means.

ps, it helps to give them a treat once back in their house. Have it ready and waiting for them if poss.

I 'round up' my pair and walk behind them clapping and direct them back to their shed. When they were house bunnies i did the same thing and directed them back to the house (leaving the door open for them is a must! If you get them to the back door and its shut, you've gotta start all over again!).

Ive had 2 pairs of bunnies and they've all soon learnt what the clapping means.

ps, it helps to give them a treat once back in their house. Have it ready and waiting for them if poss.

yes except instead of clapping i click my fingers adn say in a silly voice..bedtime bunnies.... usually i dont have to walk behind them they run right in and are rewarded with dinner or a treat depending on what time of day it is, i als had a bunny i stood there next to hutch and just called her name and bedtime she ran straight in as knew she would get a treat.

i call 'mr brush says its bedtime!' mr brush is my arm extension, he's a yard brush. just hearing his name is enough to send them running back to bed, most times. tabby got out of the pen the other day when i wasn't looking, and went to sit right next to mr brush! cheeky girl! she hopped straight back when i said 'mr brush is watching you...' :lol:

I think with time they learn that they will end up back home so there's no use in running around like nutters trying to escape.
Mine used to be such a pain to get in but now it's generally pretty easy (and there are three of them!) I just say "every body in" and shoo them all in.

it might be an idea to give her a little bit of food when she goes back in, positive reinforcement and all that :)

luckily my bunny is very obliging. I just make sure that he has a lovely bowl of fresh veg and a couple of treats leave his hutch open and within a minute he has hopped back in. Think hes in the routine now and expects a treat every night - painless He is very friendly bun but he is not over keen on being picked up and used to have a complete panic everytime i carried him back to his hutch.

Back