• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on trains

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
I'm not sure where this should go so I will put it here, sorry if it's in the wrong place!
I'm getting a rabbit in a few days at my house in uni, and was hoping over the holidays I would be able to take him home (about a 2 hour car journey) in my car. However, my car has failed it's MOT and I'm having to sell it, which means I will be getting the train home instead, and will have to take little Oscar with me. What will be the best way to take him? I will probably have to take him in a pet carrier, but what else should I put in with him? I'm guessing hay, water, toys...
Thanks for any advice :)

Make sure he can't slide around and he'll be fine. I have a door mat that I put in my carrier. I also take food and water with me, some greens or fruit and some hay. My two are fine on trains.

sounds good, you might want to bring something that you can cover his carrier with incase he gets a bit scared. Other than that I think he wil be fine, my lad is happy on the train, more so than a car actually as I can put my hand in the carrier and give him strokes/ cuddles

Great, thanks for your advice! I was a bit worried that he might get a bit stressed on the train and it would be a really bad thing to do, but I'm feeling a lot better about it now :)

I used to take my house bunny on the train with me when I was at uni. It was a four hour journey with a change over and she was absolutely fine with it. She used to sit on a seat next to me on the train and totally flop out. She liked the attention she got from bemused passengers. Can't say I've had another rabbit like that since though..... she was one of a kind!:)

mine used to go on the bus to the vets. I found they were less stressed if they had a towel over them, although Charlie did like to see what was going on once we had sat down and didn't need to move.

On longer journeys, such as when I moved house, they travelled in an ikea storage box together (four of them, so it is a pretty big box!) Company helped them all stay calm. I made sure they had water access every hour, they were given damp veggies and ofcourse they had hay in the bottom of the box.

A couple of hours travel, they should be ok, if they have travelled before with no problems.

mine have all been on the trains before. before coco had a wife bun he wuldnt settle in his carrier and so sat on my lap most of the way (not sure he was supposed to) everyone thought he was wonderful! lol (he loves attention though doesnst like men much. bunnys on trains are fine make sure the carrier is secure and that you can cover it should you feel it needs it put some fruit or other juicy item in side too mine like apple on a journey they will only eat when stopped but still. x

Mine had a 2hr train journey when I adopted them, and they were fine! Only problem was I couldn't resist looking at them, and took them out and had them on the train. Split woodshavings everywhere, but the ticket man said it didn't matter as they were the cutest passengers he had seen all day :lol: :love:

I took Sergeant & Pepper home on two trains when I adopted them and they were fine. A bit scared at first but they soon settled down. They also go on the bus to the vet and are fine. They get a lot of attention though - the hardest looking teenagers end up cooing over them!

Back