• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How 'routine' is rabbit castration?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Quite an important question for someone who is thinking of having her precious bunny done, although possibly not until the spring as he is an outddoor bun (at the moment). Is the basic procedure similar to dogs and cats? I'm really happy with Spenser's vet, although I don't think she sees that many rabbits. She seems quite knowledgeable about rabbits, and explained his stasis episode much better than the emergency vet we saw. And Spenser is used to her.

As far as I know the actual operation is similar to a dog or cat, it's the anaesthetic that can be tricky with rabbits.

I'd phone your vet and ask how many they've done and what their success rates are. Might put your mind at ease a little.

As Battlekat said, the procedure itself is quite routiune it is the anasthetic that is 'risky' when it comes to rabbits.
I would ask t have a consultation with the vet who would perform the op and ask any questions, such as how many rabbits have they castrated in the past year, if they have had any complications in regards to anasthetic and whether they have lots any patients whilst under the anasthetic and if so what were the reasons.

Please do not rush in to getting him done if you are not entirely happy with any of the answers, it is worth waiting a few more months if it means finding a more competent vet.

if he is in perfect health i really dont think you need to worry, your vet should do a full health check before they go ahead with the op. Alvin was fine after his and the wound healed perfectly. I don't think id be brave enough to get a female done tho its so much more major than having a couple of plums removed.

in saying that i just found a vet to do ste's mom's little wilde X and that very night i booked him in i dreamed he died :roll: that i think is my fear that ive picked the vet and itll be my fault if she loses him.

Thaks for responses! :wave: I'm certainly not going to rush, not least because I rather fear I might not get the 'right' answers from the vet I am currently very happy with. I don't live in a very rabbit savvy part of the world and suspect a lot of rabbit owners don't bother taking their furries to the vet.

Thaks for responses! :wave: I'm certainly not going to rush, not least because I rather fear I might not get the 'right' answers from the vet I am currently very happy with. I don't live in a very rabbit savvy part of the world and suspect a lot of rabbit owners don't bother taking their furries to the vet.

if i was you, id contact a rescue close by and find out what vets they use for their buns if your vet dont see many... plenty of experience in the old de-plumming at that vets :D

if i was you, id contact a rescue close by and find out what vets they use for their buns if your vet dont see many... plenty of experience in the old de-plumming at that vets :D

There aren't any rescues near me, apart from SSPCA - and they are not exactly close either!

You could try contacting CARROT and seeing who they use, and EbonyEyes as well :wave:

Castration as a procedure is very routine - done via almost the same method as dogs (very different to cats). If you vet is rabbit savvy then he/she has probably done lots. If not then ask how many they have done, as its the anaesthetic and recover of rabbits thats the key rather than the castration itself.
In terms of anaesthetic, the main risks, as with any rabbit surgery, is hypothermia (getting too cold) during or after the surgery as they cant regulate their body temperature while anaesthetised. Vets have lots of different ways to keep rabbits warm, just ask what they do - if they look blank run a mile!
I'd also give the vets something clean from home that smells familiar, some favourite treats/herbs/grass or hay from home to tempt them to eat when they come around, and ask them to leave the carrier in the kennel before he's knocked out and once he's recovered, as this lowers stress if they can hide somewhere familiar, gets them eating sooner and generally improves recovery.
Hope that helps :wave:

very routine :wave: ask your vet their success rate - 90% is seen as low. There is a slight risk with anaesthetic which they will draw attention to for legal reasons.

The vet should go through the scrotum rather than the abdomen (unpleasant I know, sorry) as going through the abdomen is unnecessary. It's all external and very low-risk - the main risk was anaesthetic but so many advances have been made it isn't even a big risk now with a good vet.

The nice vet at my old vet practice used to enjoy doing castrations :shock::lol:

My absolutely useless vets managed to neuter Thistle, Barley and Pharrell with no problems at all. :) Brian was done by a different vets but I had no problems with him either.

As well as being certain that your vet is competent enough to do it, read up on aftercare tips too just in case. If you get him done when the weather's warmer, he'll be able to go straight back in his hutch but it'd be a good idea to have an emergency pen set up indoors just in case. Also make sure you've got loads of his favourite foods in on the day he has it done and when you take him to the vet, take a packed lunch in with him! :lol:

I'm sure he'll be fine as he seems like a lovely healthy bun. :love:

If he's getting neutered, does this mean there will eventually be plans afoot for a lady friend?! ;)

Back