• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

calling stasis prone bunny mummies

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Although it's late in the season, a few of us wondered how many of you would like us to get a small supply of blackthorn/sloe leaves for those with no access to them in view of the recent successes of getting buns in stasis to eat.
[I've used them for 4 years now]
Also wondering about rooting cuttings in spring to send to members who want their own bush. Its about the size & habit of hawthorn.
ETA I'm just looking at the extent of potential demand.
Herbalists do not know that the leaves only work for bunnies if collected during a specific 6-8 week period.

Last edited:
Ooo I didn't make it clear. I have no intentions of going into business here!
If demand is small - no charge. If bigger, say 20+ rooted cuttings, I'd only ask postage costs, which are small but I ain't got much money!!!:oops:
I'm very much into doing what I can to help stasis buns.

If anyone wants bramble cuttings,they just need to find their nearest bush and at this time of year all the runners will have rooted.All you need to do is get a small trowel/spade dig around the roots and cut the main bramble stem four or five inches up then replant:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:.
Brambles are every where and any one should be able to find a plant near to where they live :D:D:D:D

Thumps really cant supply leaves,as she is poorly and has to collect enough to keep her own bunny well,there are still plenty of bramble leaves out there.When you all have a free hour go out with a pair of gloves and scissors and pick a load to dry for Winter,its great fun as the Autumn colours are beautiful at the moment xxxxxx

Thumps really cant supply leaves,as she is poorly and has to collect enough to keep her own bunny well,there are still plenty of bramble leaves out there.When you all have a free hour go out with a pair of gloves and scissors and pick a load to dry for Winter,its great fun as the Autumn colours are beautiful at the moment xxxxxx

There are others of us helping Thumps out, but she is the best person to co-ordinate it with her knowledge of how the sloe leaves work :wave:

There are others of us helping Thumps out, but she is the best person to co-ordinate it with her knowledge of how the sloe leaves work :wave:

Thumps is one of my best friends:wave::wave::wave:I know her knowledge of how sloe leaves work is second to none.I was just pointing out that any one can collect leaves and cuttings and she has her own little man to collect for :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Ooo I didn't make it clear. I have no intentions of going into business here!
If demand is small - no charge. If bigger, say 20+ rooted cuttings, I'd only ask postage costs, which are small but I ain't got much money!!!:oops:
I'm very much into doing what I can to help stasis buns.

i assumed it would be for a cost anyway :) :wave:

i want to help but im not sure how much i can get.. i havent foraged in over a week myself im just so tired after work :oops: and everything is already nearly dead here :(

maybe ill join in next year when i have my bearings if thats ok :wave:

I don't have access to them, or can't identify them, but would be happy to pay for some forage for Ralph who goes into stasis every month...

Bless you for thinking of me Maizey. I'm worried cos we lost some buns in stasis again this year, but I haven't been keeping up with the forum recently. If we don't get them gathered now, we'll have to wait until next Sept before they're effective again.
Brambles are everywhere even in cities. They'll be around a bit longer. They'll be back again by next March - April too. So I'm leaving that up to the owners to source.

That's only 4 requests for blackthorn leaves. I reckon that 1 packet of (leaf) tea's worth of dried leaves would treat 3-4 episodes of stasis.

I DO NOT recommend that they are given regularly, only medicinally after a vet has seen a stasis bun to exclude a block, & started the bun on standard medication.

Candiflare. I'm so sorry to hear that Ralph has so much trouble with stasis. If you have transport, & can get over to me soon, I'll take you up on the downs round here. If you'd kindly pm me & let me know what is thought to be causing Ralphs' stasis, I'll try to work out where we can get all we need in 1 place. There's some lovely countryside up there.
I can't charge folk apart from postage. It's honestly a question of insufficient hours in the day!

Last edited:
As I've said before, I'm happy to collect and dry some more to help out, but it makes me sad that anyone should think we're coercing Thumps into doing this - I'd never put extra work onto someone else intentionally, I just wanted to help out with what had already been started :(

I would love some sloe leaves and cuttings in spring, but I don't want to put anyone out. I quite understand that people have their own supplies to collect for.

The other plants I have growing in the area somewhere and have been collecting, but I haven't come across any sloe.

As I've said before, I'm happy to collect and dry some more to help out, but it makes me sad that anyone should think we're coercing Thumps into doing this - I'd never put extra work onto someone else intentionally, I just wanted to help out with what had already been started :(

Blackberry& Co I'm incredibly grateful to you, & all that others have & have offered to do to help. No one whomsoever is co ercing me to do anything. I chose to open a thread to look at the possible demand for the leaves in tiny quantities. (Thumper needs massive quantities because of his rare illness & I've got Him plenty over the last 6 weeks, thanks to help from others.)

I've had a very nasty shock & know I'm not well but we only have about 2 weeks left to get leaves which will be effective until next Sept.
I've found a herbalist vet who uses them for buns so they are bunny safe, but even the herbalists don't know about the timing of gathering. So the leaves sold commercially may not be gathered at the right time.
I have given the leaves to 4 owners of buns who have been in stasis & not eating for 5+ days. All 4 buns started eating when offered the sloe leaves.
J-J's Little Billy did not respond as well as the others, but we later found that he had issues which were undiagnosed at the time.
There has been a brilliant success with Alvin, & others just using brambles & then maintaining them with commoner hawthorn.

I simply feel that I can contribute more to the bunnies this way, than any other. It's less tiring for me than trying to thrash out a health issue over the net.
I only see it as an emergency stop gap for this year, until owners can get into a position where they can get their own supply. One way to do this is to plant their own bush. I am not going out specially. I still go out daily for a store of plantain & brambles for Thumps.

My wonderful vet gave me a HUGE supply of Sloe leaves on Fri. :love::love::love: I now have a small surplus.:D

There is no forcing whatsoever, & lots of offers of help from several people. Please let no one get upset. We're just trying to help bunnies here.

That's a really kind offer. I'd love any help I can get with my growing number of stasis prone bunnies, a small supply of this miracle herb/cutting would be a godsend.

I'd like to do all I can in return - I have an abundance of raspberry canes so if I can in return supply anybody with those I'd be happy to. (Though the leaves wouldn't be much use now until spring.) They are not in the same league by all accounts as sloe leaves but they are the best I've found so far to encourage eating.

Back