• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas or mites?

rabbitz123

Warren Scout
Hello as many of you know i have an rabbit and wednesday when i went to clean out her hutch i noticed black dots on her bedding.This bedding is new so it could be that.However i panicked i check pheabea coat and found some but there brown and there not moving so dunno what they are
Im thinking theres a few things that could to tragered them if it is flea or mites i don't know but if it is it could be
I work on a farm and the ferrets there have an flea infestation however i try to stay away from them and when i feed them i wear overalls .Another factor could be that she maybe already had them and i got her from a show so that could explain please help as im starting to panick and don't want it to be flea or mites because i have a dog and a hamster please help:(

you should be treating the dog regularly for fleas anyway, its unlikely the rabbit will come into contact with the hamster and if you keep cage up off floor is unlikely to contract fleas, if it is fela dirt then the treatment is the same as for mites with rabbits, ivermetican drops or injection you MUST use a rabbit safe one on her as some non rabbit specific drops would kill her, i suggest a quick vet visit to double check whatever it is is easily curable dont panic, try changing the hay supply as often mites or fleas are passed on through this. x

Sounds like flea dirt to me- if you comb out the specks onto a white piece of paper and wet them they will streak red, as they contain blood.

Ivermectin isn't very effective against fleas. If you are in the UK you can treat them with Advantage from the vet- don't use other cat or dog flea treatments as they are very dangerous for rabbits.

To treat fleas in ferrets you can use Advocate :)

Sounds like flea dirt to me- if you comb out the specks onto a white piece of paper and wet them they will streak red, as they contain blood.

Ivermectin isn't very effective against fleas. If you are in the UK you can treat them with Advantage from the vet- don't use other cat or dog flea treatments as they are very dangerous for rabbits.

To treat fleas in ferrets you can use Advocate :)

ah sorry for wrong advice i though ivermectin was ok for both... rabbit advantage it is then for any flea issues!

The rest of your advice was spot on though, and ivermectin works well for mites and lice :wave:

think it was lice that got me confused about the flea treatment iv only had buns with mites never fleas before ! glad to be corrected when wrong! and always good to learn something new!:) thankyou :D:wave::D

Thanks

okay thanks for your advice
However ive looked in my hamster cage last night and saw black dots so i think the black dot are from the bedding im in the right mind to throw the whole large bale away im going back to the store i brought it from and have a look at the rest of the bags to see if they have black bits in because i checked the bag and it had black bits in

But shes still got those brown stuff on her fur ill see if i can arrange an vet appointment and do the white paper test just to be sure first.

Back