• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit from accidental litter (rescues)

Mat30

Young Bun
Found some baby rabbits from an accidental litter so will be going to see them later. This is the same as rescue as they would most likely end up in rescue anyway. My kids will be pleased if I arrive home tomorrow with a new rabbit :D

Be aware that you don't really know what you are getting, and health problems and hormones, etc, will be an unknown. Babies go through a personality transplant with hormones, so be prepared that your bunny may become hostile and vicious, but hopefully this will ease when spayed/neutered.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Be aware that you don't really know what you are getting, and health problems and hormones, etc, will be an unknown. Babies go through a personality transplant with hormones, so be prepared that your bunny may become hostile and vicious, but hopefully this will ease when spayed/neutered.

Good luck whatever you decide.

For this reason it is often recommended you get a bun (from a rescue) that is at least 6 months old - that way you know their personality. This is particularly helpful if you are new to rabbits.

Are you going to have an indoor or outdoor bun? Do you know what type of bun yet? I'm sure the kids will be very excited. Will it be a complete surprise or have they been nagging and wearing you down for a while? :D

This is how we ended up with Bobby, and she is awesome, I think if you give them the right kind of care and attention you could end up with a lovely bun:love:

I have a bun from a rescue too, and he is just amazing! I think that speying and lots of interaction is the key.

This is how we ended up with Bobby, and she is awesome, I think if you give them the right kind of care and attention you could end up with a lovely bun:love:

I have a bun from a rescue too, and he is just amazing! I think that speying and lots of interaction is the key.

I have the same. Charlee as a bub and Noah as a 5 month old from a rescue. I loved being able to be with Charlee as she grew up, and develop that bond. She didn't change dramatically with the hormones but never grew up to be a cuddly bun - something that you can't really tell with a baby (they could be cuddly as a bub, but then not as an adult).

With Noah, because we went to a proper rescue, we could pick by personality if we wanted. We ended up going with the bun that suited Charlee best and he is just as adorable. It is a bit different getting him as a 5 month old compared to as a baby but just as lovely and you still develop that strong bond. I loved being able to get Noah and know that that is what he would be like - a funny bunny with a gorgeous personality. No hormones to mess with his head, and change his personality!!!

Either way it is your choice.

We prefer to have a baby rabbit

fair enough, i guess you already have the huch or indoor enclosure set up! is it your first rabbit? sorry if im teaching granny to suck eggs but as i dont know am giving you a breif overhaul of rabbit care as i know it! (no offence meant if you know this stuff its jsut to help if youra first time owner!)

rabbits need a minimum of 6x2x2ft hutch and a 6x6ft run ideally with a space for supervised free range time too, they need a litter tray water bowl and bottle and food bowl, make sure that you get a 2 week supply of change over food for the little bun as they have very dilicate digestive systems and food intorductions and changes should be done gradually, make sure bunny is a minimum of 8-12 weeks else it shouldnt be leaving its mum, when its old enough it will need vaccinations vhd 1x a year and myxi 2x a year, it will also need neutering regardless of its sex to prevent health problems and allow behavioural problems to be nipped in the bud and of course to ensure litter training is successful! bunnys often use one corner of their hutch or cage so putting a litter tray where they have been doing ther business often helps to get them going in the right spot! and makes cleaning so much easier!

make sure you find a rabbit savvy vet, so many vets dont know more than the very basics about rabbit care (if that) due to them being more similar rgan adn digestive system wise to a horse and having been classified as exotics despite being the 3rd most popular pet! we can reccomend someone in your area if you want?

rabbits need 85% of diet to be hay, they can have grass to but again introduce it slowly, farmers do the best deals of fresh hay in bales which are cheap, dont use wood chips unless under a thick layer of newspaper as they can cause respiritory problems and always keep an eye on buns eating and pooping habbits as this is often a sign of how they are physically

rabbits are prey animals: they dont like being picked up as it signifys instinctivly im about to be eaten, its often easier to sit near by your bunny and let him or her come to you for treats to gain their trust initially of course some rabbits love cuddles but you dont usually get a full sense of their personality until they are at maturity and have been neutered.

Another major bunny fact for you they need a high fibre diet so a pelleted food such as excel or sceience select is best supplimented with fresh leafy greens and herbs daily carrots and apple should be given as treats as have a high sugar content.

lastly bunnies like company, they need rabbit freinds they are not suitable companions for g.pigs due to various reasons, and a neutered male with a neutered female or 2 spayed females is often the best combination, nb bonding should be done by someone who knows what they are doing in a neutral area!

lastly welcome to the forum im sure you and your children will find it informative i hope your bunny has many happy years with you after all they often live to age 12years with the correct care!

hope this helps good luck watching a rabbit binky is the best! xx

fair enough, i guess you already have the huch or indoor enclosure set up! is it your first rabbit? sorry if im teaching granny to suck eggs but as i dont know am giving you a breif overhaul of rabbit care as i know it! (no offence meant if you know this stuff its jsut to help if youra first time owner!)

rabbits need a minimum of 6x2x2ft hutch and a 6x6ft run ideally with a space for supervised free range time too, they need a litter tray water bowl and bottle and food bowl, make sure that you get a 2 week supply of change over food for the little bun as they have very dilicate digestive systems and food intorductions and changes should be done gradually, make sure bunny is a minimum of 8-12 weeks else it shouldnt be leaving its mum, when its old enough it will need vaccinations vhd 1x a year and myxi 2x a year, it will also need neutering regardless of its sex to prevent health problems and allow behavioural problems to be nipped in the bud and of course to ensure litter training is successful! bunnys often use one corner of their hutch or cage so putting a litter tray where they have been doing ther business often helps to get them going in the right spot! and makes cleaning so much easier!

make sure you find a rabbit savvy vet, so many vets dont know more than the very basics about rabbit care (if that) due to them being more similar rgan adn digestive system wise to a horse and having been classified as exotics despite being the 3rd most popular pet! we can reccomend someone in your area if you want?

rabbits need 85% of diet to be hay, they can have grass to but again introduce it slowly, farmers do the best deals of fresh hay in bales which are cheap, dont use wood chips unless under a thick layer of newspaper as they can cause respiritory problems and always keep an eye on buns eating and pooping habbits as this is often a sign of how they are physically

rabbits are prey animals: they dont like being picked up as it signifys instinctivly im about to be eaten, its often easier to sit near by your bunny and let him or her come to you for treats to gain their trust initially of course some rabbits love cuddles but you dont usually get a full sense of their personality until they are at maturity and have been neutered.

Another major bunny fact for you they need a high fibre diet so a pelleted food such as excel or sceience select is best supplimented with fresh leafy greens and herbs daily carrots and apple should be given as treats as have a high sugar content.

lastly bunnies like company, they need rabbit freinds they are not suitable companions for g.pigs due to various reasons, and a neutered male with a neutered female or 2 spayed females is often the best combination, nb bonding should be done by someone who knows what they are doing in a neutral area!

lastly welcome to the forum im sure you and your children will find it informative i hope your bunny has many happy years with you after all they often live to age 12years with the correct care!

I know you are only trying to help but a lecture!! :shock: :lol:

Good Luck with the baby rabbit. :D

I know you are only trying to help but a lecture!! :shock: :lol:

Good Luck with the baby rabbit. :D

Disagree totally - not a lecture but very sensible advice for someone who hasn,t said what their knowledge is but does seem to be in a very big rush.

It doesn't matter if the OP does already know the above as there will be others who read this who may not know anything - as we know far too many people buy rabbits (in a rush and on a whim) without don't any homework.

One of the reasons that Make Mine Chocolate! is in existance sadly.

Disagree totally - not a lecture but very sensible advice for someone who hasn,t said what their knowledge is but does seem to be in a very big rush.

It doesn't matter if the OP does already know the above as there will be others who read this who may not know anything - as we know far too many people buy rabbits (in a rush and on a whim) without don't any homework.

One of the reasons that Make Mine Chocolate! is in existance sadly.

I agree, I thought it was a brilliant post, full of advice and information which people need to know prior to buying/adopting.

I agree, I thought it was a brilliant post, full of advice and information which people need to know prior to buying/adopting.

thanks guys, i did say at start of post, not trying to teach granny to suck eggs but IN CASE you are a first time owner here is what you need to know?! personally id have been very happy if someone had taken the time to tell me all of that when i first started rabbit keeping it certaintly would have made life for me and my first bunny much much easier!!!! so sorry if seemed like a lecture was only trying to be helpful i didnt feel any 1 point was more important than the others so felt i had to put it all down! good luck with new bun! x

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone! :roll: Was just thinking if the OP has researched they might not want to be told what to do but it was a very informative post. :thumb: I didn't once say it was a bad idea to post it! ;)

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone! :roll: Was just thinking if the OP has researched they might not want to be told what to do but it was a very informative post. :thumb: I didn't once say it was a bad idea to post it! ;)
no offence taken, wasnt meant as a lecture just as an information guide IFn they needed it without having to search the whole forum its the basics in one! anyhows im sure we will see pictures and posts soon frrom the op if they are getting bun today? x

So wish someone had made it this clear! I spent so much more that I should have on too small hutch after too small hutch, I ended up spending £300 extra, then in the end went with a dog kennel. Would definately recommend looking at a set up that suits both you and rabbit and aiming for that.

P.S. Bunnys are addictive :)

Back