• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with sticky eyes in Pet shop ?

xxTaniaxx

Warren Scout
Ok just been into Pets at Home and in their adoption area they have a lovely white 2yr old bunny, has sticky wet eyes , fur around it is not clean either . Has sawdust for bedding :roll: i am going back later to look at him , i was going to rescue centre tomorrow to look for some rabbits but i feel i cant leave this one in there , i cant get it to a vet till monday , even without sticky eyes i would be taking it anyway to get vaccinated and to get a health check .

Is it anything to worry about as in serious or just an eye condition ? any advice please :D

Ok just realised it wasn't sawdust but shavings :oops: so thats ok .

Last edited:
Ok just been into Pets at Home and in their adoption area they have a lovely white 2yr old bunny, has sticky wet eyes , fur around it is not clean either . Has sawdust for bedding :roll: i am going back later to look at him , i was going to rescue centre tomorrow to look for some rabbits but i feel i cant leave this one in there , i cant get it to a vet till monday , even without sticky eyes i would be taking it anyway to get vaccinated and to get a health check .

Is it anything to worry about as in serious or just an eye condition ? any advice please
:D

Dental Disease (Elongated tooth roots can lead to chronic 'runny eyes')
http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongenIncisorAbnRabbits.html

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.html

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.html

Myxomatosis

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/viral/Myxomatosis.htm

Pasteurellosis.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pasteurellosis_lagomorphs.htm

As well as the things listed above it could be an eye infection which drops could clear but really the bunny needs to see a vet asap to rule out the more serious conditions.

Teeth, that never occured to me , have had dealings with teeth before but never had any eye problems with it . My first thought was Myxi, i lost a rabbit to Myxi 3 years ago :cry: but this bunns eyes dont look that bad and my daughter said he was there a few days ago and she noticed his eyes then, so i am gonna be positive and hope its not as i'm sure he would be getting very sick by now :cry:. My daughter is going in there later today , gonna get her to speak to someone and ask if rabbit has been checked by vet, because whatever it is it needs sorted. Have a feeling tho if they are not very helpful i will end up bringing him home here so i know he will get checked over.

Teeth, that never occured to me , have had dealings with teeth before but never had any eye problems with it . My first thought was Myxi, i lost a rabbit to Myxi 3 years ago :cry: but this bunns eyes dont look that bad and my daughter said he was there a few days ago and she noticed his eyes then, so i am gonna be positive and hope its not as i'm sure he would be getting very sick by now :cry:. My daughter is going in there later today , gonna get her to speak to someone and ask if rabbit has been checked by vet, because whatever it is it needs sorted. Have a feeling tho if they are not very helpful i will end up bringing him home here so i know he will get checked over.

If you do please keep him/her quarantined if you have other Rabbits

If you do please keep him/her quarantined if you have other Rabbits

No other rabbits here , not kept rabbits for 3 years now . i lost my IKE to Myxi he was 10 yrs old , even now i miss him , he use to just hop in doors and in the winter he would sleep in the kitchen stretched out in front of the radiator , partner who starts work early would tiptoe around the kitchen so as not to wake him, he was one chilled out rabbit. Could be very naughty at times as well , tho he never bit except my jeans when i was ignoring him , use to like licking toes tho :roll:. Only have an indoor hutch at the moment but wouldnt want to put Bunn outside till he has had a visit to vet , can easily get new hutch tomorrow . Have a lovely sunny warm spot for him in the winter on patio and a nice cooler spot for the summer i have a south / west facing garden so would have to move hutch in summer due to very hot on the patio, but perfect in the winter. No idea what sort of temperament bunn has, it just says owner no longer able to care for him :( . not much to go on but i cant stand the thought of him being left there, they have a few very sweet baby rabbits there so cant see him being picked before baby ones.

Last edited:
;) Sounds like he already has a new home. I hope his eyes are nothing too serious that a bit of TLC will sort out. If it is dental problems then hopefully these can be controlled.

;) Sounds like he already has a new home. I hope his eyes are nothing too serious that a bit of TLC will sort out. If it is dental problems then hopefully these can be controlled.

Daughter is on her way to shop now to have another look at him , see if he is still there and ask if he has been checked over . Just rang rabbit welfare association and i have a very good rabbit vet only 7 miles from me and they are not expensive either :D . So all i need now is hutch and run and food and toys and a bank loan ;) So if all goes ok and he is in good health then once he has settled in it will be time to look for another bunn for company , never bonded rabbits before so i will be needing lots of advice :lol:

If you have a temporary hutch at the moment I wouldn't rush into something else until you know the size of both bunnies etc.

If they are to be outside bunnies you could also consider a shed which is a lot easier to get in to look after them.;) There are lots of ideas on here so have a good look around.

UPDATE - I have bunny :)

If you have a temporary hutch at the moment I wouldn't rush into something else until you know the size of both bunnies etc.

If they are to be outside bunnies you could also consider a shed which is a lot easier to get in to look after them.;) There are lots of ideas on here so have a good look around.

He's not a big bunny so i would get same size to bond with . I made my last hutch :) was very big , only i forgot it had to fit through door :oops: so had to remove roof , legs to get it into garden. My garden is not very big so no where to put a shed but enough space for rabbit to run around , he will be going on patio to start with and will be sharing space with my veggie raised beds they are netted tho. So just have to see what happens .

So went back to shop spoke to staff and they said he was in a mess when he came in , has been treated for mites had his claws cut and his eyes were really bad when he came in they have been cleaning them and said they have improved. He was a very scarred bunn but said he has been getting better . So as of yesterday he is in spare bedroom in large indoor cage. Off to vets tonight for health check and possible vaccs ( do they give vaccs if bunny is not in best health , not sure as mine were never sick ) Anyway he will be inside till he is treated we have wild bunns near us. He is nervous but not an angry or grumpy bunny he even climbed onto my daughters lap and cuddled up to her :love: did wee on her tho :lol:. . So hopefully once he has been sorted and has settled in i will be looking for a female bunn to bond with .

Last edited:
Back