• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah & Artie not well P45 Elijah's re-admitted! Home.UD Elijah has found his spark

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Elijah & Artie not well P45 Elijah's re-admitted! Home.UD Elijah has found his spark

I've been through bad patches before but five weeks now is taking the mick a bit.

I had considered finding Elijah a new companion after losing Little Dot but I was always at or above my coping threshold with six of them, especially with Artie and Roo having their ongoing problems.

So, on Thursday I took Elijah for his myxo jab and Artie for his bladder expressing. Both settled well on return. On Friday morning I discover Elijah hasn't eaten his supper - he's normally eaten his Excell and greens within about fifteen minutes but hardly touched them :cry: So he was admitted on Friday morning and is still there as he isn't eating enough. His x-rays etc are normal and he's passed some droppings etc but staying a little longer until he eats more.

By Friday afternoon Artie wasn't right either. He's just not eating enough. He's not touched his Excel at all overnight (I weighed it). I don't think he's had any hay either. What poops there are are tiny. I'm pretty sure it was stress of the journey that has knocked him a bit , it was 2.5 hours in total, partly because it as a 40 minute consultation, so I'm watching him closely. He's just wolfed down a pile of grass, dandelions, raspberry leaves but is very choosy about what he eats. He just 'isn't right' but I'm putting off taking him to the vets until I feel he needs to go, he may pick up better at home. I've put Domperidone on his food. He's lively and friendly.

So, sometimes the stress outweighs all the rest. I'm just exhausted from it. I think the vets must be starting to think I have munchausen by proxy :oops::oops: They are actually extremely understanding and FHB said she couldn't believe the run of luck that I'd had, she was so shocked to read in the notes that I'd lost Dot and said surgeries like hers are some of the 'I can't do this anymore' moments :( She lost one of her own (a very special bunny) to a blockage about a week earlier and even with everything she knows/can do she wasn't able to save him. He's left a gaping great hole as he was the friendliest bunny :cry::cry: And that's just how it goes with bunnies - you have to be tough enough to deal with it all if you are going to have bunnies. And I think I will always have bunnies so I'm going to have to accept the rest of it.

Not sure why I posted all this really :oops::oops:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you are having a tough time of it. I hope things look up soon and that all buns will be healthy and happy. Best of luck. Xx

I'm sorry you've had such a bad time recently. You and your bunnies are certainly due some better luck. Hope you feel a bit better after posting - sometimes it helps just to put how you are feeling into words. Your bunnies are lucky to have such a caring owner :), but the reverse side of the coin is that it hurts more when they are not well. :(

... maybe.

I've been through bad patches before but five weeks now is taking the mick a bit.

I had considered finding Elijah a new companion after losing Little Dot but I was always at or above my coping threshold with six of them, especially with Artie and Roo having their ongoing problems.

So, on Thursday I took Elijah for his myxo jab and Artie for his bladder expressing. Both settled well on return. On Friday morning I discover Elijah hasn't eaten his supper - he's normally eaten his Excell and greens within about fifteen minutes but hardly touched them :cry: So he was admitted on Friday morning and is still there as he isn't eating enough. His x-rays etc are normal and he's passed some droppings etc but staying a little longer until he eats more.

By Friday afternoon Artie wasn't right either. He's just not eating enough. He's not touched his Excel at all overnight (I weighed it). I don't think he's had any hay either. What poops there are are tiny. I'm pretty sure it was stress of the journey that has knocked him a bit , it was 2.5 hours in total, partly because it as a 40 minute consultation, so I'm watching him closely. He's just wolfed down a pile of grass, dandelions, raspberry leaves but is very choosy about what he eats. He just 'isn't right' but I'm putting off taking him to the vets until I feel he needs to go, he may pick up better at home. I've put Domperidone on his food. He's lively and friendly.

So, sometimes the stress outweighs all the rest. I'm just exhausted from it. I think the vets must be starting to think I have munchausen by proxy :oops::oops: They are actually extremely understanding and FHB said she couldn't believe the run of luck that I'd had, she was so shocked to read in the notes that I'd lost Dot and said surgeries like hers are some of the 'I can't do this anymore' moments :( She lost one of her own (a very special bunny) to a blockage about a week earlier and even with everything she knows/can do she wasn't able to save him. He's left a gaping great hole as he was the friendliest bunny :cry::cry: And that's just how it goes with bunnies - you have to be tough enough to deal with it all if you are going to have bunnies. And I think I will always have bunnies so I'm going to have to accept the rest of it.

Not sure why I posted all this really :oops::oops:

I so know what you mean.
I have reached breaking point now :cry:

I really hope that Elijah and Artie are back on top form soon xx

I totally remember that feeling. The first thought in my head in the mornings used to be 'what am I going to find when I go to see the bunnies?' They were lovely, but the stress was huge.

I really hope things start looking up for you soon. x

I was just nodding to myself as I read your post, because I can relate to it entirely. I loved Ginger Bun so much, but he was a source of constant stress and worry. I don't think I'll be getting rabbits again.

I am sorry about your babies. Lots of vibes heading their way.

I have never known such worry and stress since i got my first rabbit fourteen years ago. The odd thing is i could not imagine not having rabbits:?
I wonder if your bun was at Fhb at the same time, i am sure i saw someone with a bunny that looked like yours on tuesday. My bun Uncle was kept there untill Friday:(

Thank you so much for your posts everybody, I knew you guys would 'get it'.

Jane, I really don't know how you cope with so many of the little treasures, no wonder it's taking it's toll at the moment :cry:

SarahP, I can fully understand why you have chosen not to have rabbits (for the time being ;)) after all you went through, what I've gone through is nothing in comparison.

Hoppit! I felt exactly the same when I lost Scratty, I was completely broken. I do seem to have managed to accrue rabbits since though :?

I think part of my problem is I have to get it right. I cannot let them down in any way, so if I have two choices such as whether to take them or watch them etc I just worry that whatever choice I make I'll get it wrong :oops:

I have never known such worry and stress since i got my first rabbit fourteen years ago. The odd thing is i could not imagine not having rabbits:?
I wonder if your bun was at Fhb at the same time, i am sure i saw someone with a bunny that looked like yours on tuesday. My bun Uncle was kept there untill Friday:(

No, I know that I'll always have rabbits, the stress is part of the deal and overwhelming at times but it's just a way of life, part of who I am now.

We weren't at FHB's until Thursday, so it wasn't us on Tuesday. If anybody was in the waiting room on Thursday though I do apologise :oops::oops: We had a rather long discussion about how vulnerable rabbits are etc and quite a lot about blockages and surgery options. It was fascinating and a privilege for me to get so much info first hand and discuss in detail but I felt a bit guilty seeing the full waiting room when we left. :oops::oops: I felt bad about my bunnies being cooped up for so long as well :cry::cry:

I am pleased to report that Artie got up when I crossed the room and climbed up onto me as he does when he's begging Carroty treats (he's been refusing them). I got the pot of them down to see and he got his head in it and gobbled one down :love::love: I didn't give him anymore as not high enough in fibre but gave him some dried plaintain instead. When I'd been out for about 20 minutes and came back into the room he was running round my feet buzzing - he really has improved massively. He's eaten quite a bit as well, and had his full dose of Domperidone. Just waiting for the pooh now but not too worried just at the moment and he has to catch up, so to speak:oops:

Hopefully Elijah will be alright but it's his second stasis episode in 2 months so the previous wasn't a one-off.

Thanks again everybody, I feel so much better just for sharing :love::love:

One plus in my life I forgot to mention. In the job I do Mondays and Tuesdays (full days) I always come home at dinnertime to check on my bunnies but it's a bit of a push, I'm sometimes over the hour (which is not allowed on a regular basis) and my flexi is always behind and is an issue constantly. A couple of weeks ago at an appraisal my boss said she knew I was struggling and would I like to do an hour less each week so I could have a longer break and not always be rushing. :love::love: It's been agreed and my full day is not 7 hours instead of 7.5 which gives me some leeway with my OCD type bunny checking behaviour. That will relieve a lot of stress :D

Last edited:
Glad your feeling a bit better. Although I only have one rabbit I can partly understand how worried you get, especially when they were ill. I was actually OK when Spenser had stasis, but that quite surprised me! I just had to keep telling myself that I'd done all I could do for him, and luckily he made quite a quick recovery. :love: Continuing to send recovery vibes for your bunnies.

Glad your feeling a bit better. Although I only have one rabbit I can partly understand how worried you get, especially when they were ill. I was actually OK when Spenser had stasis, but that quite surprised me! I just had to keep telling myself that I'd done all I could do for him, and luckily he made quite a quick recovery. :love: Continuing to send recovery vibes for your bunnies.

Thank you.

In some ways I think it can be harder with only one because you're not able to compare them with the others. Daft things sometimes like how quiet they are - if you have a house full of snoozing bunnies you can rationalise and realise it's kip time, otherwise you could drive yourself mad thinking your bunny is too quiet :oops: Not that I would do that of course :lol::lol:

I've just been told that Elijah is staying in all weekend - hopefully to be coming home on Monday. Ruth wants to make absolutely sure that he's eating well before he comes home.... which is not surprising as two weeks ago I lost the plot when Esme wasn't eating much and wanted her admitting even though she didn't need it ... he's much better staying with the experts. I know he will get lots of attention so I'm not worried about him. I'll have to collect him after work though if it's Monday (dark nights too! ugh)

I know what you mean - & all the bad stuff seems to happen at once so you feel like you're being kicked whilst you're down :( Recently I had Fletcher (cat) at the vet for an eye op, the next day PA (bun) needed a dental, now Fletcher is acting oddly but with no clinical symptoms...I'm so worried about her...who'd have pets :roll:

I hope your boys are back to normal soon & that your luck changes for the better :wave:

Lots of vibes for your poorly bunnies I do hope they are better soon. It is really hard when you have more than one sick rabbit at a time. You become exhausted with the stress. Sending hugs to you too.

I know how you feel - we are exhausted here after 5wks and 5 days of Hawthorn's myxi - we also have another bun who is having seizures at the moment and one with on and off sticky bum

If any of the others are thinking of being ill they will just have to wait!!

Bunny Buddy. Isnt it great when Fhb takes time to have a chat, i feel i have gleand some great free info:lol: I could talk to her ror hours if she had the time.
I was supposed to be collecting Uncle on Thursday but had to cancell when i was told he had to stay:( ,So that is maybe where she got a bit of the extra time from:lol:. I have never met Ruth yet.

i remember feeling how your feeling.. almost to the point of no more rabbits EVER.. one illness is copeable but both ill at the same time is just the worst thing in the whole world.

i have found enjoyment again hun and i know you will too xxxxx

Thanks guys. I feel a bit rubbish because I know some of you guys have had far worse to deal with than I have. Myxo and heart failure being up there on the list.

Artie is no better, no worse today. I would have expected some improvement by now. :cry::cry::cry: He's still mainly bright. He didn't seem to have eaten much over night, didn't touch the grass I'd given him (it wasn't that great to be honest, I'd picked it in the dark it wasn't as goods as I thought at the time.) He had eaten spring greens at about 11pm.

He wolfed down spring greens at about 7.30 am (he usually goes back later for the stem but hasn't for a few days). He's also eaten some grass and dandelions but very little poo again, none overnight. :cry::cry: He doesn't seem poorly so I'll just keep the grass going for today.

Update on Elijah though is really upsetting. He had eaten over night but wasn't eating today so they have had to syringe feed him. I'd not really given his 'status' a second thought as I believed he was okay and was focusing on Artie. I just want the little bubba back okay now, I can't bear it :cry::cry:

When I started the thread I thought it was a bit of non-specific stasis for both of them, I'm worried it could be more now *sigh*

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Alison. :( Sending lots of vibes for both boys.

I was thinking of you a couple of days ago, as you hadn't been around much, and wondering how everything was going.

I don't know what to say as nothing will help but both boys have the best vet care possible and a wonderful owner. I can identify with how you feel; rabbits give so much love and enjoyment but can bring so much stress as they are just way too fragile. :(:(

I've not been around much but feel free to PM me if you feel like a chat about anything. ;)

I'm so sorry Alison. :( Sending lots of vibes for both boys.

I was thinking of you a couple of days ago, as you hadn't been around much, and wondering how everything was going.

I don't know what to say as nothing will help but both boys have the best vet care possible and a wonderful owner. I can identify with how you feel; rabbits give so much love and enjoyment but can bring so much stress as they are just way too fragile. :(:(

I've not been around much but feel free to PM me if you feel like a chat about anything. ;)

Thank you so much :love:

I just came back on line to report that Artie is eating a spring greens stump/stem with great enthusiasm, he's previously eaten loads of grass and some raspberry leaves :love: This is the best 'big nom' he's had since he's been unwell. *Hopefully*... (I'm not saying the rest!).

As for Elijah. I can ring again tomorrow at about 10.30 when a vet will have assessed him. In theory he's under the care of Ruth but I know FHB will take particular interest in him as well, given all the circumstances.

Continuing to send vibes, and thinking of you.

Thank you :love:

Back