PDA

View Full Version : Elijah & Artie not well P45 Elijah's re-admitted! Home.UD Elijah has found his spark

Bunny Buddy
30-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I've been through bad patches before but five weeks now is taking the mick a bit.

I had considered finding Elijah a new companion after losing Little Dot but I was always at or above my coping threshold with six of them, especially with Artie and Roo having their ongoing problems.

So, on Thursday I took Elijah for his myxo jab and Artie for his bladder expressing. Both settled well on return. On Friday morning I discover Elijah hasn't eaten his supper - he's normally eaten his Excell and greens within about fifteen minutes but hardly touched them :cry: So he was admitted on Friday morning and is still there as he isn't eating enough. His x-rays etc are normal and he's passed some droppings etc but staying a little longer until he eats more.

By Friday afternoon Artie wasn't right either. He's just not eating enough. He's not touched his Excel at all overnight (I weighed it). I don't think he's had any hay either. What poops there are are tiny. I'm pretty sure it was stress of the journey that has knocked him a bit , it was 2.5 hours in total, partly because it as a 40 minute consultation, so I'm watching him closely. He's just wolfed down a pile of grass, dandelions, raspberry leaves but is very choosy about what he eats. He just 'isn't right' but I'm putting off taking him to the vets until I feel he needs to go, he may pick up better at home. I've put Domperidone on his food. He's lively and friendly.

So, sometimes the stress outweighs all the rest. I'm just exhausted from it. I think the vets must be starting to think I have munchausen by proxy :oops::oops: They are actually extremely understanding and FHB said she couldn't believe the run of luck that I'd had, she was so shocked to read in the notes that I'd lost Dot and said surgeries like hers are some of the 'I can't do this anymore' moments :( She lost one of her own (a very special bunny) to a blockage about a week earlier and even with everything she knows/can do she wasn't able to save him. He's left a gaping great hole as he was the friendliest bunny :cry::cry: And that's just how it goes with bunnies - you have to be tough enough to deal with it all if you are going to have bunnies. And I think I will always have bunnies so I'm going to have to accept the rest of it.

Not sure why I posted all this really :oops::oops:

Grin
30-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm so sorry you are having a tough time of it. I hope things look up soon and that all buns will be healthy and happy. Best of luck. Xx

susie bun
30-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry you've had such a bad time recently. You and your bunnies are certainly due some better luck. Hope you feel a bit better after posting - sometimes it helps just to put how you are feeling into words. Your bunnies are lucky to have such a caring owner :), but the reverse side of the coin is that it hurts more when they are not well. :(

Jack's-Jane
30-10-2010, 11:40 AM
... maybe.

I've been through bad patches before but five weeks now is taking the mick a bit.

I had considered finding Elijah a new companion after losing Little Dot but I was always at or above my coping threshold with six of them, especially with Artie and Roo having their ongoing problems.

So, on Thursday I took Elijah for his myxo jab and Artie for his bladder expressing. Both settled well on return. On Friday morning I discover Elijah hasn't eaten his supper - he's normally eaten his Excell and greens within about fifteen minutes but hardly touched them :cry: So he was admitted on Friday morning and is still there as he isn't eating enough. His x-rays etc are normal and he's passed some droppings etc but staying a little longer until he eats more.

By Friday afternoon Artie wasn't right either. He's just not eating enough. He's not touched his Excel at all overnight (I weighed it). I don't think he's had any hay either. What poops there are are tiny. I'm pretty sure it was stress of the journey that has knocked him a bit , it was 2.5 hours in total, partly because it as a 40 minute consultation, so I'm watching him closely. He's just wolfed down a pile of grass, dandelions, raspberry leaves but is very choosy about what he eats. He just 'isn't right' but I'm putting off taking him to the vets until I feel he needs to go, he may pick up better at home. I've put Domperidone on his food. He's lively and friendly.

So, sometimes the stress outweighs all the rest. I'm just exhausted from it. I think the vets must be starting to think I have munchausen by proxy :oops::oops: They are actually extremely understanding and FHB said she couldn't believe the run of luck that I'd had, she was so shocked to read in the notes that I'd lost Dot and said surgeries like hers are some of the 'I can't do this anymore' moments :( She lost one of her own (a very special bunny) to a blockage about a week earlier and even with everything she knows/can do she wasn't able to save him. He's left a gaping great hole as he was the friendliest bunny :cry::cry: And that's just how it goes with bunnies - you have to be tough enough to deal with it all if you are going to have bunnies. And I think I will always have bunnies so I'm going to have to accept the rest of it.

Not sure why I posted all this really :oops::oops:

I so know what you mean.
I have reached breaking point now :cry:

I really hope that Elijah and Artie are back on top form soon xx

SarahP
30-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I totally remember that feeling. The first thought in my head in the mornings used to be 'what am I going to find when I go to see the bunnies?' They were lovely, but the stress was huge.

I really hope things start looking up for you soon. x

Hoppit!
30-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I was just nodding to myself as I read your post, because I can relate to it entirely. I loved Ginger Bun so much, but he was a source of constant stress and worry. I don't think I'll be getting rabbits again.

I am sorry about your babies. Lots of vibes heading their way.

rabbitapril
30-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I have never known such worry and stress since i got my first rabbit fourteen years ago. The odd thing is i could not imagine not having rabbits:?
I wonder if your bun was at Fhb at the same time, i am sure i saw someone with a bunny that looked like yours on tuesday. My bun Uncle was kept there untill Friday:(

Bunny Buddy
30-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you so much for your posts everybody, I knew you guys would 'get it'.

Jane, I really don't know how you cope with so many of the little treasures, no wonder it's taking it's toll at the moment :cry:

SarahP, I can fully understand why you have chosen not to have rabbits (for the time being ;)) after all you went through, what I've gone through is nothing in comparison.

Hoppit! I felt exactly the same when I lost Scratty, I was completely broken. I do seem to have managed to accrue rabbits since though :?

I think part of my problem is I have to get it right. I cannot let them down in any way, so if I have two choices such as whether to take them or watch them etc I just worry that whatever choice I make I'll get it wrong :oops:

I have never known such worry and stress since i got my first rabbit fourteen years ago. The odd thing is i could not imagine not having rabbits:?
I wonder if your bun was at Fhb at the same time, i am sure i saw someone with a bunny that looked like yours on tuesday. My bun Uncle was kept there untill Friday:(

No, I know that I'll always have rabbits, the stress is part of the deal and overwhelming at times but it's just a way of life, part of who I am now.

We weren't at FHB's until Thursday, so it wasn't us on Tuesday. If anybody was in the waiting room on Thursday though I do apologise :oops::oops: We had a rather long discussion about how vulnerable rabbits are etc and quite a lot about blockages and surgery options. It was fascinating and a privilege for me to get so much info first hand and discuss in detail but I felt a bit guilty seeing the full waiting room when we left. :oops::oops: I felt bad about my bunnies being cooped up for so long as well :cry::cry:

I am pleased to report that Artie got up when I crossed the room and climbed up onto me as he does when he's begging Carroty treats (he's been refusing them). I got the pot of them down to see and he got his head in it and gobbled one down :love::love: I didn't give him anymore as not high enough in fibre but gave him some dried plaintain instead. When I'd been out for about 20 minutes and came back into the room he was running round my feet buzzing - he really has improved massively. He's eaten quite a bit as well, and had his full dose of Domperidone. Just waiting for the pooh now but not too worried just at the moment and he has to catch up, so to speak:oops:

Hopefully Elijah will be alright but it's his second stasis episode in 2 months so the previous wasn't a one-off.

Thanks again everybody, I feel so much better just for sharing :love::love:

One plus in my life I forgot to mention. In the job I do Mondays and Tuesdays (full days) I always come home at dinnertime to check on my bunnies but it's a bit of a push, I'm sometimes over the hour (which is not allowed on a regular basis) and my flexi is always behind and is an issue constantly. A couple of weeks ago at an appraisal my boss said she knew I was struggling and would I like to do an hour less each week so I could have a longer break and not always be rushing. :love::love: It's been agreed and my full day is not 7 hours instead of 7.5 which gives me some leeway with my OCD type bunny checking behaviour. That will relieve a lot of stress :D

susie bun
30-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Glad your feeling a bit better. Although I only have one rabbit I can partly understand how worried you get, especially when they were ill. I was actually OK when Spenser had stasis, but that quite surprised me! I just had to keep telling myself that I'd done all I could do for him, and luckily he made quite a quick recovery. :love: Continuing to send recovery vibes for your bunnies.

Bunny Buddy
30-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Glad your feeling a bit better. Although I only have one rabbit I can partly understand how worried you get, especially when they were ill. I was actually OK when Spenser had stasis, but that quite surprised me! I just had to keep telling myself that I'd done all I could do for him, and luckily he made quite a quick recovery. :love: Continuing to send recovery vibes for your bunnies.

Thank you.

In some ways I think it can be harder with only one because you're not able to compare them with the others. Daft things sometimes like how quiet they are - if you have a house full of snoozing bunnies you can rationalise and realise it's kip time, otherwise you could drive yourself mad thinking your bunny is too quiet :oops: Not that I would do that of course :lol::lol:

I've just been told that Elijah is staying in all weekend - hopefully to be coming home on Monday. Ruth wants to make absolutely sure that he's eating well before he comes home.... which is not surprising as two weeks ago I lost the plot when Esme wasn't eating much and wanted her admitting even though she didn't need it ... he's much better staying with the experts. I know he will get lots of attention so I'm not worried about him. I'll have to collect him after work though if it's Monday (dark nights too! ugh)

Hugbut
30-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I know what you mean - & all the bad stuff seems to happen at once so you feel like you're being kicked whilst you're down :( Recently I had Fletcher (cat) at the vet for an eye op, the next day PA (bun) needed a dental, now Fletcher is acting oddly but with no clinical symptoms...I'm so worried about her...who'd have pets :roll:

I hope your boys are back to normal soon & that your luck changes for the better :wave:

hurricanhoney
30-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Lots of vibes for your poorly bunnies I do hope they are better soon. It is really hard when you have more than one sick rabbit at a time. You become exhausted with the stress. Sending hugs to you too.

parsnipbun
30-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I know how you feel - we are exhausted here after 5wks and 5 days of Hawthorn's myxi - we also have another bun who is having seizures at the moment and one with on and off sticky bum

If any of the others are thinking of being ill they will just have to wait!!

rabbitapril
30-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Bunny Buddy. Isnt it great when Fhb takes time to have a chat, i feel i have gleand some great free info:lol: I could talk to her ror hours if she had the time.
I was supposed to be collecting Uncle on Thursday but had to cancell when i was told he had to stay:( ,So that is maybe where she got a bit of the extra time from:lol:. I have never met Ruth yet.

BinkyBun
30-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Hope your bunnies feel better soon. ((hugs)) to you x

donnamt
30-10-2010, 09:14 PM
i remember feeling how your feeling.. almost to the point of no more rabbits EVER.. one illness is copeable but both ill at the same time is just the worst thing in the whole world.

i have found enjoyment again hun and i know you will too xxxxx

Bunny Buddy
31-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys. I feel a bit rubbish because I know some of you guys have had far worse to deal with than I have. Myxo and heart failure being up there on the list.

Artie is no better, no worse today. I would have expected some improvement by now. :cry::cry::cry: He's still mainly bright. He didn't seem to have eaten much over night, didn't touch the grass I'd given him (it wasn't that great to be honest, I'd picked it in the dark it wasn't as goods as I thought at the time.) He had eaten spring greens at about 11pm.

He wolfed down spring greens at about 7.30 am (he usually goes back later for the stem but hasn't for a few days). He's also eaten some grass and dandelions but very little poo again, none overnight. :cry::cry: He doesn't seem poorly so I'll just keep the grass going for today.

Update on Elijah though is really upsetting. He had eaten over night but wasn't eating today so they have had to syringe feed him. I'd not really given his 'status' a second thought as I believed he was okay and was focusing on Artie. I just want the little bubba back okay now, I can't bear it :cry::cry:

When I started the thread I thought it was a bit of non-specific stasis for both of them, I'm worried it could be more now *sigh*

KarenM
31-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm so sorry Alison. :( Sending lots of vibes for both boys.

I was thinking of you a couple of days ago, as you hadn't been around much, and wondering how everything was going.

I don't know what to say as nothing will help but both boys have the best vet care possible and a wonderful owner. I can identify with how you feel; rabbits give so much love and enjoyment but can bring so much stress as they are just way too fragile. :(:(

I've not been around much but feel free to PM me if you feel like a chat about anything. ;)

susie bun
31-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Continuing to send vibes, and thinking of you.

Bunny Buddy
31-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry Alison. :( Sending lots of vibes for both boys.

I was thinking of you a couple of days ago, as you hadn't been around much, and wondering how everything was going.

I don't know what to say as nothing will help but both boys have the best vet care possible and a wonderful owner. I can identify with how you feel; rabbits give so much love and enjoyment but can bring so much stress as they are just way too fragile. :(:(

I've not been around much but feel free to PM me if you feel like a chat about anything. ;)

Thank you so much :love:

I just came back on line to report that Artie is eating a spring greens stump/stem with great enthusiasm, he's previously eaten loads of grass and some raspberry leaves :love: This is the best 'big nom' he's had since he's been unwell. *Hopefully*... (I'm not saying the rest!).

As for Elijah. I can ring again tomorrow at about 10.30 when a vet will have assessed him. In theory he's under the care of Ruth but I know FHB will take particular interest in him as well, given all the circumstances.

Continuing to send vibes, and thinking of you.

Thank you :love:

Bunny Buddy
31-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Artie has just been eating Excel :D:D:D:D He was only at his dish for less than a minute but he definitely ate some :D:D

I just hope my baby Elijah is doing as well, it's very quiet without him.

susie bun
31-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Well done Artie, that's great news. :wave:

donnamt
31-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys. I feel a bit rubbish because I know some of you guys have had far worse to deal with than I have. Myxo and heart failure being up there on the list.

i think Stasis is a million times worse than heart failure :wave: you just dont know when its going to hit and if that is the one that will take your angel painfully.

heart failure was easy in comparison.. both together werent fun but the only time i doubted my future with rabbits was during an Alvin stasis episode.

antigone
31-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Elijah xxx
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with your bunnies. :(

Bunny Buddy
01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you for the vibes and good wishes and kind words.

I'm collecting Elijah after work. Neither Elijah and Artie are eating the full range yet but both bright and eating well of what they are eating.

Haven't got time to post more but just wanted to share the news that Elijah is deemed well enough to come home :D

donnamt
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
awwwww glad your getting him home today :love:

SOAD
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
awwwww glad your getting him home today :love:

^^^ this :love::love::love:

susie bun
01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Glad he's coming home! :D

Debster
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Only just read this - what a worrying time for you. Hope both Elijah and Artie have speedy recoveries and don't suffer anymore illness for a very long time! Vibes for them both xxx

giantbunnymummy
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm so glad both boys are doing well and Elijah is coming home today :D

Sending loads of vibes to both of them and hoping they'll be good bunnies, eat all their food and not cause their mummy any more stress :wave:

Bunny Buddy
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanksies once again.

Elijah is home and settling in well. He's been eating quite a bit of hay since he got home. He came home with a huge pile of grass and dandelions from the vets and I'm just exhausted so instead of donning the head torch and fleece and going out gathering I just gave 1/2 to Artie. Artie hasn't eaten any Excel since that tiny but the other night. He seems fine in spirit but not eating a full range of normal food. Both boys have been asking for loads of cuddles and Elijah settled really quickly and has been nudging and licking my hand.:love::love:

susie bun
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
So pleased you've got him home. :D

Bunny Buddy
02-11-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm just at my wits end with these bunnies - neither of them have eaten any Excel over night. Both are eating green food, Elijah was eating some green oat hay last night but can't have eaten anything like as much as usual. He's quiet (I normally get woken to the sound of him playing), he's alert enough but not lively. Elijah hasn't eaten this morning's spring green leaf though he did through the night eat the one I gave him in the evening.

Artie is bright enough, coming to see me etc but hasn't eaten any hard food for a week now, the odd strand of hay maybe. When he does eat grass/greeens he's very enthusiastic. He was admitted only 5 weeks ago and his teeth will have been looked at.

I really have to go to work today as I only have 2 days leave to last me until April :?

I just don't know what more I can do for them :cry::cry::cry:

susie bun
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh dear, they are certainly giving you a lot of worry time! You'll be at work by now, I expect, so hope you find some nomming has happened whenyou next check them.

donnamt
02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm just at my wits end with these bunnies - neither of them have eaten any Excel over night. Both are eating green food, Elijah was eating some green oat hay last night but can't have eaten anything like as much as usual. He's quiet (I normally get woken to the sound of him playing), he's alert enough but not lively. Elijah hasn't eaten this morning's spring green leaf though he did through the night eat the one I gave him in the evening.

Artie is bright enough, coming to see me etc but hasn't eaten any hard food for a week now, the odd strand of hay maybe. When he does eat grass/greeens he's very enthusiastic. He was admitted only 5 weeks ago and his teeth will have been looked at.

I really have to go to work today as I only have 2 days leave to last me until April :?

I just don't know what more I can do for them :cry::cry::cry:

i dont think them refusing pellets is a bad thing hun, it usually takes a few days for Alvin to eat pellets again after stasis, and as Judy has pointed out these buns know what they need to fix thier tummies... after stasis Alvin eats veg and hay and goes crazy for brambles, its like he knows the pellets will keep him poorly so he avoids them till his tum sorts itself out :wave:

KarenM
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm so pleased Elijah is home again. :) Hopefully they'll both be nomming furiously by the time you get home later.

Bunny Buddy
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys. I've just had a 5 minute chat with FHB and she said I can take him back fo syringe feeding if I feel he's not eating enough, which I'm guessing will happen this evening.

However, I've just got him to eat a few bits of spring greens, I'm off out for more raspberry leaves. Cheers Donna, I knew what you posted but I did need reminding of it. Art is totally refusing pellets too but eating grass enthusiastically.

Elijah was eating hay last night so hopefully he will do so again this afternoon.

Off back to work as he's eaten, will review at 5.15 when I get home.

Bunny Buddy
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Elijah has done okay this afternoon. He's not eaten a massive amount but is bright and nibbling and has pooped quite a decent amount. So I'll be persuading him at home and not rushing him back to the vets.

Artie has pooped a good amount this afternoon too so I'm guessing he's eating a bit of hay as well as the grass etc. He's also had 7g of Excel.

Elijah isn't eating much spring greens whereas Artie devours them. The raspberry leaves are going down a storm with both so I need to venture out to the end of the garden to find some more and my head torch wouldn't work last night :roll: Still anything to get fibre etc into the buns.

FHB was brilliant at lunchtime, I already knew that but she was just so reasurring and making sure I could cope. Luckily I rang for advice just as she was between consultations so she took the phone call (I was expecting to speak to a nurse). She said she'd seen Elijah's x-ray and pretty much all he was ailing was getting his appetite back so not to worry unduly just monitor his eating that it might take a few more days to get back to his nromal self, and to take him back if I couldn't get enough into him. Another interesting fact: His blood glucose reading when he was admitted was 8 point something or other. 15 is the trigger for 'concern' which is what it was last time he was admitted with stasis. When Artie was there on a routine appointment it was 9 so Elijah's was very much in the normal range which is baffling. He'd even spent 30 minutes in a waiting room with dogs and cats.

Whe my mum visited him this afternoon Elijah came running over begging for a carroty treat :love::love:

Anyhow, off out into the rain now :D

donnamt
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
great news all round :D few more days and itll be a distant nightmare xxx

Bunny Buddy
02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
great news all round :D few more days and itll be a distant nightmare xxx

Thanks. Hopefully so. I've never had two out of sorts at once but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Bunny Buddy
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Artie is doing better now, he left some quite big poops yesterday and I've just caught him munching hay :love:

Elijah however is just nibbling and he's had a few bits of food under his nose for about four hours that I just can't believe he hasn't touched. He's eaten some raspberry leaves this morning but not much else. I'm most probably going to take him back to the vets to be syringe fed some more as I have to go to work and even waving food under his nose isn't impressing him much today. He's 'okay' but not as 'okay' as I'd like. I'm especially aware that he's been thin in the past so want to make sure he eats well.

Debster
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Good that Artie's doing well now, hope Elijah gets on ok at the vets and his appetite picks up. xx

susie bun
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
It is the 'sleepy' time of day for bunnies, so hopefully he'll show more interest in his noms later. Spenser has eaten all his favourite bits from his morning veg and retreated into his cardboard box for his morning nap!

bunlover
03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
thinking of you and the bunnies x

Bunny Buddy
03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
:(:(

I really wasn't happy with how Elijah was late morning, I couldn't get him to eat more than a few strands and he was looking miserable.

I have had him re-admitted and after he'd been there 2.5 hours and assessed FHB said he wasn't happy. She feels he's not eating because he's in pain but that he's probably in pain because of the stasis. She still doesn't believe there is anything serious causing the stasis and that once he's eaten enough he will be okay. She just feels he's in pain and stressed so is going to give him pain relief and something to calm him while they syringe feed him and get him happy again.

I was beginning to feel useless and that I'd completely lost the plot when I took him back, I thought my paranoia had taken over but it seems the poor little guy isn't well yet :cry::cry:

susie bun
03-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Poor Elijah, and poor you! What a worry for you again. :( At least the vet thinks that once he gets into a pattern of eating he will be OK, so hopefully you will get some sleep tonight knowing he is in good hands.

Bunny Buddy
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Poor Elijah, and poor you! What a worry for you again. :( At least the vet thinks that once he gets into a pattern of eating he will be OK, so hopefully you will get some sleep tonight knowing he is in good hands.

Thanks

It's the worst bout of stasis I've had to deal with so far, I really hope she's right. I know she's the best and she was pretty confident, so I really hope so. At least the little guy has got drugs to make him feel better tonight. I'll only sleep through exhaustion - I'm nearly there already.

antigone
03-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Elijah and you xxx

Grace65
03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Get well thoughts for elijah. xxxxxxxxx

KarenM
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Awwwww, poor little man. Hopefully the syringe feeding will get him back on track very quickly. Sending lots of vibes for Elijah.

I'm so pleased to hear that Artie is feeling better. :love:

Debster
03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Sorry Elijah's still not right, hope you get him back from the vets tomorrow nomming enthusiastically!:wave:

Bunny Buddy
05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I haven't had an official message yet today, I have to ring later for it, I will be at work by then. But the unofficial message is that Elijah has eaten and pooped a little over night.

Disappointing progress then. I've been told that they will be keeping him until he's fully right, probably over the weekend :cry::cry: but to ring later to get more info. As long as he is right eventually that's all that matters but I'm so sorry for the little guy it's taking so long :(

Artie, I'm pleased to report is back to his normal self. He's eating quite a bit of hay, foraging about a lot and has eaten about half his Excel over night :D

susie bun
05-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Sorry the update on Elijah isn't better news, but at least Artie is doing well now. Thinking of you. xx

Bunny Buddy
05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Sorry the update on Elijah isn't better news, but at least Artie is doing well now. Thinking of you. xx

Thank you.

I rang back for my message and was told that FHB wanted to speak to me but was in surgery. When I spoke to her later on she started by emphasising "he's alright" they said she wanted to keep him until he was definitely right but not sure how long that would be. He was happy being there and everyone loves him :? I think they've decided to keep my bunny :lol::lol::lol: I bet Elijah is really lapping up all the attention bless him. His Auntie Frances is worried that the journey might cause him a setback again so wants him really well before he undertakes the journey but in the meantime he's being fussed over by loads of people who he's charming. I don't think he'll be minding too much :love::love:

susie bun
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Sounds like he thinks he's on holiday not in hospital. :lol:

Bunnyaddict
05-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry Alison I completely missed your thread on Artie & Elijah :oops: Your poor boys & poor you - what a nightmare :(

I'm pleased Artie is feeling better & that Elijah is doing alright with his Aunty Frances :) Sending Elijah lots of vibes & hoping that he can come home soon. Hugs to you too, as I know how stressed & upset you must have felt xxx

Debster
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Thank you.

I rang back for my message and was told that FHB wanted to speak to me but was in surgery. When I spoke to her later on she started by emphasising "he's alright" they said she wanted to keep him until he was definitely right but not sure how long that would be. He was happy being there and everyone loves him :? I think they've decided to keep my bunny :lol::lol::lol: I bet Elijah is really lapping up all the attention bless him. His Auntie Frances is worried that the journey might cause him a setback again so wants him really well before he undertakes the journey but in the meantime he's being fussed over by loads of people who he's charming. I don't think he'll be minding too much :love::love:

Are you sure this isn't a very elaborate bunny-napping plot by your vets?:shock::lol:

Seriously though, I hope it isn't too long before you get him back, you must miss him loads! Lots of vibes for a completely back to normal Elijah ASAP!

Bunny Buddy
06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Are you sure this isn't a very elaborate bunny-napping plot by your vets?:shock::lol:

I must admit, I was beginning to wonder if he was being bunny napped :lol:

Thanksies everybody :D:D

The good news is he has eaten all his greens overnight and his Excel. FHB wants to keep him another 24 hours to make sure but if he's doing as well he *may* be coming home tomorrow :D:D:D

susie bun
06-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Good to see a positive update. :D

Bunny Buddy
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Artie's got belly ache :cry::cry::cry:

susie bun
06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Artie's got belly ache :cry::cry::cry:

Oh dear, has he eaten something that didn't agree with him? Sending him nose rubs. :love:

Bunny Buddy
06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh dear, has he eaten something that didn't agree with him? Sending him nose rubs. :love:

Thank you.

I feel really stupid now as he's busy nomming.

He was right at the back of his pen (right at the back in the dark under the shelf)where he only goes if he isn't well. He was also flopping/rolling which again he only does if he has belly ache. I can only guess he managed to pass some gas whilst I was planning my next move. He also wouldn't come to me which is only something he does when he's not well.

... so either he's better or I've now lost my marbles :shock: :oops::oops:

Candiflare
06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
sending vibes :love::love:

Bunny Buddy
08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Elijah came home yesterday and same pattern as last time - quite bright throughout, he was bright when I saw him during the night and nibbling hay. at about 7.30 is this morning he suddenly looked miserable and has done mostly since :cry: He's picking at food and does have the odd enthusiastic spurt but he's really not happy.

I really am exhausted now. He's eaten a reasonable amount just in the last hour but he is just so miserable looking. I've decided to attempt to syringe feed him rather than take him to the vets if he doesn't eat enough.

I've put Esme in the pen next to him in case he's miserable for being on his own. Fortunately she seems quite happy but he doesn't seem greatly bothered :?

Some 'no more stasis' vibes would be greatly appreciated as he's borderline heading there at the moment.

giantbunnymummy
08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Sending loads of no stasis vibes and hoping Elijah's appetite picks up and you don't need to head back to the vets with him. x

Bunny Buddy
08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Sending loads of no stasis vibes and hoping Elijah's appetite picks up and you don't need to head back to the vets with him. x

:love: Thank you. He's just eaten a few more little pieces. I really hope I can keep him going. I can't bear him looking so miserable when he's normally such a happy little soul.

susie bun
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Sorry to be late in adding my vibes! :wave:

Bunny Buddy
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry to be late in adding my vibes! :wave:

Thank you.

Update.

I spent a lot of time hand feeding Elijah on Monday evening and got up 3 times during the night to make sure he was still on track. He'd eaten a bit more each time. He seemed bright most of the day on Tuesday. Today he was okay early on and I thought we had a good recovery going then, again late morning, he started looking really unhappy again. He's looked unhappy ever since though is eating bits. I keep waving bits of food under his nose and he has eaten bits spontaneously but he just looks so flipping miserable :cry::cry: I really don't know what to do for him now. The theory was he was miserable because of being in pain from not eating - can't be that now because he's been eating quite well for nearly 48 hours. He's poops are nearly normal size too. Just what do I have to do to make him happy? :cry::cry::cry:

susie bun
10-11-2010, 07:04 PM
In what way does he look miserable? Grumpy or depressed kind of miserable?

Bunny Buddy
10-11-2010, 07:47 PM
In what way does he look miserable? Grumpy or depressed kind of miserable?

Miserable as in 'no spark'. He's an extremely friendly bunny and I would expect him to run over to the side of his pen on seeing me in the distance. To be climbing up the pen when I approach him. At the moment you can be a few inches from him on the other side of the divide trying to get his attention and he's just not taking any notice, not even turning his head. There is a spark occasionally. I've just been hand feeding him ripped up pieces of spring green and he really enjoyed it and was ready for each piece and looked enthusiastic. I snuggled him earlier and I could hear his teeth chattering but a lot of the time he lets me but I'm getting no response from him. I stop, he'd normally nudge or lick me - nothing, no encouragement, like he's really not bothered either way. This is since about 11.00 am so I'm still hopeful he will be bright at some point later today. He ate all his Excel from last night which really surprised me. I hope this is just a little dip and not a huge setback.

I have wondered if he is finding my house cold, maybe it's warmer at the vets. I have a heater on to improve it, in case it is that.

susie bun
10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
You might see an improvement in the evening. Lots of buns are a bit sleepy in the afternoon. All the same, I can understand and sympathise with you worrying as you know what's 'normal' behaviour for him better than anyone. You could check with the vet about temperature, if that's a concern? He's been through a lot (as have you!) so maybe his bodyclock is a bit upset, or he has become disorientated frrom his stay at the vet. I'm not experienced, so guessing a bit here, but it is possible that he's picking up on your anxiety - maybe try pretending to be more relaxed than you actually are, and see if he responds to that?

Bunny Buddy
10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
You might see an improvement in the evening. Lots of buns are a bit sleepy in the afternoon. All the same, I can understand and sympathise with you worrying as you know what's 'normal' behaviour for him better than anyone. You could check with the vet about temperature, if that's a concern? He's been through a lot (as have you!) so maybe his bodyclock is a bit upset, or he has become disorientated frrom his stay at the vet. I'm not experienced, so guessing a bit here, but it is possible that he's picking up on your anxiety - maybe try pretending to be more relaxed than you actually are, and see if he responds to that?

He's totally different. He's never really done 'ignore the human' when he's in snooze mode. He's just really sociable. There's a marked difference between his and the other bunnies' general demeanour. Thanks for 'listening' though and trying to come up with answers. There has been a noticable 'dip' though when he has been at his worst in late morning so there could be something in the daytime variations thing. Thinking back to when Artie was getting through stasis though Elijah probably compares with that and he's just having a setback because of moving to and fro. As for the anxiety thing - I'm always anxious so there should be no difference to him there then! :lol::lol::? Seriously though, I work hard on the calm happy pretence around him as I'm sure it can have an impact on them. It's probably just going to take time.

KarenM
10-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't know what to suggest but can understand your concern. :( Is he eating well without any tempting from you, or is he only really eating if you wave the food under his nose?

Bunny Buddy
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know what to suggest but can understand your concern. :( Is he eating well without any tempting from you, or is he only really eating if you wave the food under his nose?

Yesterday (from Monday pm until middle of this morning) he was eating really well, all day yesterday I didn't need to wave food at him.

This afternoon while I was at work he ate a fair bit of spring greens. I'm finding I spend about 10 minutes with him tempting him and then when I back away he's eating bits around him. I'm loathe to take him back as FHB was 99.9% sure that stress was all that was wrong with him, although if stress was enough to stop him eating completely then taking him back was obviously going to be the right course of action. I'm still hopeful that he just needs time and patience but I think you have to keep in the back (preferably back) of your mind that there could be something else.

Edit to add: He was at vets for total of about 8 days so they had plenty of chance to assess and monitor him. They see plenty of rabbits and know the score so I guess it's just down to me to make him feel relaxed.

Bunny Buddy
11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Elijah found his spark during the night :D Not to say he won't have another dip but at the moment he's being 'Elijah' :D:D

I kipped on the floor and he was bright between midnight and 3.30 - by then my feet were like ice and the inflatable mattress was saggy so I went to my proper bed. I visited Elijah at about 5.00 and he greeted me :love::love: Same this morning. He was being quite active when I observed him too. He went to eat pellets at about 1.00 am and did some hay and dried herb foraging. Hopefully no more dips but it's just great to have him well for now :love::love:

susie bun
11-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Good news indeed! :D

KarenM
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Oh that's good news Alison. :love: Hopefully he'll be back to himself completely now and you can get back to just enjoying your bunnies. :D:D

Bunny Buddy
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Good news indeed! :D

Oh that's good news Alison. :love: Hopefully he'll be back to himself completely now and you can get back to just enjoying your bunnies. :D:D

Thanksies. I went to see Elijah a while ago and he spent about 10 minutes grooming my head :love::love: I had to push him off eventually as he was getting too much :lol::lol: He's definitely got his spark back :love::love:

KarenM
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I went to see Elijah a while ago and he spent about 10 minutes grooming my head :love::love: I had to push him off eventually as he was getting too much :lol::lol:

Awwwww, he's obviously making up for lost time. :love::love::love:

Debster
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanksies. I went to see Elijah a while ago and he spent about 10 minutes grooming my head :love::love: I had to push him off eventually as he was getting too much :lol::lol: He's definitely got his spark back :love::love:

Aww, that's so sweet! Glad Elijah has found his spark again, I hope he keeps it now :D