• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

burst eardrum

naomi123

New Kit
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some information. I am new in the bunny bussiness. We bought a dwarf angora mommy with 3 babies. 4 days after we took them home she gave birth again to a litter of 4. The last litter is now six weeks old. One of these babies started with a slight head tilt 2 days ago. I took her to the Vet today and he said that the eardrum was burst but that there was no infection and no need for any medication. I have been reading a bit on the web and the stuff about head tilting is quite scary!! So now i dont know what to do!

Have any of you got experience in this matter?

Regards
Naomi

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some information. I am new in the bunny bussiness. We bought a dwarf angora mommy with 3 babies. 4 days after we took them home she gave birth again to a litter of 4. The last litter is now six weeks old. One of these babies started with a slight head tilt 2 days ago. I took her to the Vet today and he said that the eardrum was burst but that there was no infection and no need for any medication. I have been reading a bit on the web and the stuff about head tilting is quite scary!! So now i dont know what to do!

Have any of you got experience in this matter?

Regards
Naomi

did the vet mention anything about worms etc? I'm not expert but surely if the buns eardrum has burst, but has no infection...then surely the head shouldn't be tilting?

I asked him about the cause and he said he does not know. He said nothing about worms. He said the head is tilting (it is only a slight tilt - not at all like the photos on the web) because of the discomfort of the ear and that she probably also would be a bit off balance. She still eats and drinks fine!

I asked him about the cause and he said he does not know. He said nothing about worms. He said the head is tilting (it is only a slight tilt - not at all like the photos on the web) because of the discomfort of the ear and that she probably also would be a bit off balance. She still eats and drinks fine!

It might be worth getting the bun checked over by another vet for a second opinion. The balance thing sounds correct in the sense that yes she may lose a bit of balance. But discomfort of the ear? :S Something doesn't sit quite right with me abou what the vets said. Like I say, I'm no expert and I may be wrong. But i'd be very keen to get a second opinion by another vet.

Back