• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY Nail trim??

Do you clip bunny nails yourself?

• yes

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • no

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • depends on the bunny

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
I dont normally do their nails - i take them to the vet but the vet showed me how to do it safely and said there's no reason why we cant do it at home.

I was just wondering who does their own bunnies nails and whether (if done correctly) this is ok for the bunnies? And for those who do their own at home, what nail clippers have you got and where did you get them?

Luckys are harder due to the dark colour but you can still see the quick. I've heard it's common to cut into the quick - is it painful for the bunny and what product can you use if you do? (I heard cornflour but is there like a numbing antiseptic?)

I dont normally do their nails - i take them to the vet but the vet showed me how to do it safely and said there's no reason why we cant do it at home.

I was just wondering who does their own bunnies nails and whether (if done correctly) this is ok for the bunnies? And for those who do their own at home, what nail clippers have you got and where did you get them?

Luckys are harder due to the dark colour but you can still see the quick. I've heard it's common to cut into the quick - is it painful for the bunny and what product can you use if you do? (I heard cornflour but is there like a numbing antiseptic?)

Luckily, I don't have to cut Thumpers nails. His run is made of concrete slabs so they do the work for me ;) I just keep an eye on them. Personally I'd let my vet cut them, even if I could do it my self. Thats only because if the nail cutters slipped and cut too far up I'd feel guilty. Where as if the vet did it, I can then shout at them about how rubbish they are and that I wont pay them and they need to correct the damage free of charge!:lol::lol:

B C D and F are on concrete so I havent ever trimmed theirs. A and E have theirs done every month or so I use toe nail clippers and they are very used to it now. I am lucky in that their nails are white so you can see how far to go. Alberts have to be kept quite short to help his feet

I do cut their nails but absolutely hate cutting Noahs as he is such a pain in the bum about being picked up :lol: So if I am at the vets, I get them to do it. But otherwise I do it.

Yes. I do all 17 myself. I would feel ridiculous, or I couldn't.

My outside ones get a trim every six weeks (well, they get a check, a lot don't need the back nails touching, but there is always the dewclaw to check in the front because obviously that doesn't wear down), and the insiders get theirs done every 4 weeks.

Spenser is still almost impossible to handle, so his nails are definitely a job for the vet. He particularly dislikes haviing his back paws done, and I have to help the vet hold him down. :roll::roll:

They have concrete to run on but lucky needs his done about every 6 months or so. I'm not sure with Daisy - just had them done for her but not sure if she's needed them doing before.

I have to trim Buddy's every couple of weeks cos as one of his many problems the claws on his back left leg grow sideways :shock: so i have to clip them as they dont get worn down. I am lucky that his nails are white so can see where i am cutting.

Bramble's back feet are fine as he is on concrete in his run. I do check his front claws and due claws every 5ish weeks.

Sooty and Sweeps I have not had to do yet, but think i will need to in the future until their run and new big hutch is built in the spring. problem is their claws are black and will be harder to do. May ask my vet advice on the best way of doing them.

I always do mine and it's no problem at all. I have the Mooky deluxe clippers (about £6 from PAH and they're great :) )

yes i do mine at home, the only bun whos nails i managed to make bleed was my foster bracken, for some reason her quick was much further along adn even though i only cut the nails to the fur and thought i could see it the one claw did bleed i felt awful about it, the rest of them i have no issues with and i also do my freinds rabbits claws too ..was horrified to find them curled under the first time i saw them, now she always has neat claws, they couldnt do it and the vet they had was rubbish and told them on the phone that the rabbit would wear its claws down naturally :roll::roll: yes thats fine if its a digger or it runs along concrete but this was a house rabbit:roll: thankfully due to a bit of advice and help bunny now has a much better life quality and is a happy house bun! (and they have a better vet)

i never had to trim bisc and matts nails when they lived outside as their run was on paving. since they moved inside we have been at the vets all the time so just let them trim them when needed! we aren't going as much now so i might have to start trimming them again. they both have dark nails and you can't see the quick. i've never cut the quick though. luckily they both let me cut their nails easily. dan holds them and i take a tiny bit off. i'm to much of a coward to trim more incase i catch the quick.

both the piggies have clear nails and you can easily see the quick and i've caught both of them once. :( i felt awful. but just put a bit of flour on the end and it stopped bleeding really quickly. i did feel so awful though. :( now dan holds them and i cut. and i've never caught them again. :)

i have the clippers off hayexperts for the buns and some smaller ones for the piggies, think they were off ebay.

Yes I do them all myself. The white bunnies are a lot easier to see where to cut than the darker ones. The darker ones I just do regular small cuts and I hate doing my rex but do small cuts with him too.

A couple of times I have caught the quick right at the tip and it's bled but only a little. Once I did get Mischa's real bad. He moved just as I went to cut them and had to take him to the vets and the nurse used a syptic (sp?) pencil to stop the bleeding.

I've always done Charlies myself. I do the hamsters nails, too which is a lot harder :lol:
I use dog nail clippers, Charlies nails don't fit into the normal bunny ones, they seem to be made for baby nethies rahter than the average pet rabbit!

i've always done matthew and tabitha's nails and my grandbuns charlie and cecile as well. the littlies have lovely nails, really clear so you can just where to cut, but matty and tab have thick dark nails, and its always a risk - but, i've never had a bleed in three years.

I do both of mine myself. Causy they are quite big I have to get J to give me a hand.
The only mishap ive had was with Pickle at Kris's....we were doing them and he wriggled. Can't remember who was clipping and who was holding but both of us and the kitchen ended up covered in blood where he flivcked it everwhere. I ended up having to borrow clothes off her mum :lol:

I never had to clip the nails of my own bunnies, but I would do it myself if it was necessary. I trimmed other bunnies nails too. Prefer doing it with a clipper for buns but I have used one for humans as well.. Didn't really have a choice, her nails were way too long, couldn't leave her like that.

Back