• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peggy in for a dental

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Any spare vibes for Peggy would be appreciated. I noticed last week she wasn't nomming as enthusiastically and had to give her a bottom bath one day as she had a very messy bottom. She was eating - or I would have taken her to the vet sooner - but only in a very desultory way.

I took her in this morning first thing and she does need a dental. Although the vet doesn't usually do ops on a Sat he said he will do it today. I'm still trying to get the money together to get Pippa (stray kitten) neutered so he agreed to do the dental and a bottom shave for £50.

I took Sue in with Peggy (they are bonded) and the good news is that Sue has put on a little weight. Sue only has half a kidney working and lost loads of weight and my vet had hinted about imminent PTS. I did think she had got a bit plumper but worried it may have been wishful thinking on my part so I am relieved that it is fact. I know feeding her wholemeal bread (with oats) isn't ideal but it is keeping her weight up and she loves it. She has survived longer than the vet expected so I am going to continue with her rather odd diet (high calorie, high moisture, low calcium).

I have to go to work now but can pick Peggy up at 11.45 am. I just hope she is OK as she is over four and I know buns are a risk under a GA.

Peggy and Sue are former BARC bunnies and send kisses and :wave: to Angie.

Thank you. I left work a bit early and went to pick her up. The vet said there were lots of spurs but isn't completely convinced they were enough to cause her to stop eating. He's given her under skin fluids and baytril and drew me up two syringes for tomorrow and Monday. The fur around her bottom has been cut shorter as she keeps getting it in a mess.

He wondered if she may have arthritis and that is why she isn't cleaning herself properly. I am to keep an eye on her. She jumps in and out of her hutch easily enough so I hope it's not that.

I asked about pain relief and the vet didn't think she is in pain but asked what I thought. I said she had seemed uncomfortable before I took her in so he gave her a shot of Metacam, saying that owners have a good idea of how their bun is painwise (I was pleased he recognised that).

He still only charged me £50 despite the additional drugs Peggy was given, so that's a relief. If I am concerned I'll take her back tomorrow (which will be out of hours) but I am hoping to persuade her to eat. I need to clean them all out this afternoon (when it stops pouring with rain) and will then go and pick some fresh grass and dandelion leaves for Peggy. Will give her some bread too just to encourage her to start eating (my standard 'tempting' food, along with fenucreek crunchies and pineapple juice).

Sue was a feisty bun in her carrier, thumping her feet and digging the newspaper. It's good to see, knowing how poorly she is. The vet was surprised. I'm glad I had her weighed as I do sometimes doubt myself and worry I am keeping her alive for me, not for her, but the vet agrees she is fine in herself at the moment. She doesn't do much - just eats and sleeps and grooms Peggy - rarely goes in her run - but she is over four and seems happy enough. My other older bun, Dylan, isn't that lively either. Sue loves her noms and always comes up to me at food time, impatient to see what I've got for her. Dandelion leaves are her favourite, but they seem in short supply at the moment because of the frost we've had.

Peggy still isn't eating much. I didn't want to syringe feed her as she is not a cuddle bun and hates being handled but I am going to have to. She has nibbled a piece of bread and eaten some carrot tops and strawberry leaves but that is it.

I don't have a car tomorrow as it's in the garage so I will have to try and find someone to take me to the vet and juggle my working hours. Trouble is the vet stresses her so much it is likely to make things worst. I have baytril for today and tomorrow. I haven't tried pineapple juice yet so will buy some of that later today.

Buns are such a worry :( I always wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong when they are poorly.

Any spare vibes for Peggy would be really appreciated.

Back