• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First Aid Kit?

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Do you keep a first aid kit for your bunnies? If so, whats in it?

Each month i look through the family one and see if the bits need replacing - we are low on calpol and indigestion tablets this month but it got me thinking about the bunnies. I have no idea what kit i'd need. I suppose if they fought i'd need to apply dressings before getting them to a vet? Well, i've got all that stuff in ours.

I've been advised infacol and a gentle tummy massage can help in a bout of gut stasis?

I'm tempted to get a little kit in but i think if there was anything wrong, i'd be dashing straight to the vets.

Anyway, if anyone could advise me of the essentials, i would be very grateful. :)

Yes, I have things like fibreplex, critical care, Avipro, syringes, tweezers, pineapple and papaya tablets, rubber gloves, comb, nail clippers, cotton buds.
I keep it all in the garage, where we also have a kettle and bunny towels and a 'poorly' run in case I have to bring any of them in to monitor.
Sure there must be more, but I can't think of them now!

All sorts of stuff

scissors
cotton wool
critical care
syringes various sizes
gripe water and infacol
science recovery food
all fruit or veg baby food to mix with recovery if bun not interested
Lacto B
Avipro
Fibreplex
nail clippers
vasaline
sudacrem

I have used all of the stuff in the past so definitely worth having one.

yes mine contains
dog and cat metacam
naiil clippers
bandages
syringes
baby food(such as hipp blackberry and apple)
science recovery
a comb
cotten wool pads
small mini bunny sized flannels chop a normal one into 4(found invaluable when cleaning eyes)
infacol(though currently dont have any in there at moment i normally do)
i did have fibreplex but its now out of date
still have a small amount of baytril (though when it runs out of date i wont replace as should be used vet directivly)
vasaline
sudocrem
pannacur (again i will be throwing this away once out of date) i would not normally keep this in here.

Thank you. I did a search but nothing useful came up. Thanks for the links Jane.

What is baytril and pannacur used for? :oops:

Thank you. I did a search but nothing useful came up. Thanks for the links Jane.

What is baytril and pannacur used for? :oops:

Baytril is an anti-biotic, i know that much as Ginger is on it at the mo!

Panacur is a worming drug i *think* :?

Thanks Graham. When i was at the vet, i asked about the worming stuff (there was a poster up in the vets for it) but the vet said not to bother using it as it can be used as a cure and there's not really any point using it as a preventon? Dodgy advice or sensible stuff?

I think with the things like baytril, i would seek vet advice (not being all that clued up on those type of matters) so i will wait until it's needed.

I think i have everything else though - oh - except pineapple. I take it the idea is to freeze some in ice cube trays and pop them out and defrost in instances where the bunny seems constipated or something? And the baby food is to tempt them to eat?

Thanks Graham. When i was at the vet, i asked about the worming stuff (there was a poster up in the vets for it) but the vet said not to bother using it as it can be used as a cure and there's not really any point using it as a preventon? Dodgy advice or sensible stuff?sensible the actual need of pannacur is as you say more as a cure for ec, i also do a 28day preventative if we have any new bunnies join us (i occasionally rescue)) hence why i have some but you are correct you wouldnt normally

I think with the things like baytril, i would seek vet advice (not being all that clued up on those type of matters) so i will wait until it's needed.

I think i have everything else though - oh - except pineapple. I take it the idea is to freeze some in ice cube trays and pop them out and defrost in instances where the bunny seems constipated or something? And the baby food is to tempt them to eat?
yes or dried pinapple is ok to or pinapple or papaya tablets (often dired stuff is found in the parrot food section of pet shops) its useful when they are moutling as the enzyme in it helps break down fur in the gut stoppipng blockages,
baby food is for tempting or when they wont eat anything else.

yes or dried pinapple is ok to or pinapple or papaya tablets (often dired stuff is found in the parrot food section of pet shops) its useful when they are moutling as the enzyme in it helps break down fur in the gut stoppipng blockages,
baby food is for tempting or when they wont eat anything else.

Thank you. :wave:

Back