• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where's the best place to get a rabbit

Why the urgency to get a rabbit tomorrow?

Going to a rescue is the right thing to do - you get a healthy, vaccinated, fixed bun. That way you are not supporting breeders and not increasing the over population problem. However that isnt a process that will happen overnight.

How do you know if a rescue is not just a breeder trying to offload unwanted rabbits, found some websites who say they are rescue and then find out they have bred the rabbits themselves.

How do you know if a rescue is not just a breeder trying to offload unwanted rabbits, found some websites who say they are rescue and then find out they have bred the rabbits themselves.

Go to a reputable rescue. There are plenty of "real" rescues out there. Many rescues are members here, and others volunteer for the rescues. Genuine rescues are dedicated to the welfare of rabbits and do anything to improve the life of buns (rescuing them from horrible conditions, rehabilitating them and then finding them their forever home) - those that breed do not care about this.

I'm from Australia so cant point you in the direction of a reputable rescue near Cambridge, but hopefully a local member will be a long soon to help you out.

I'm in Cambridge. I wouldn't say we have any rabbit rescues here. (other than possibly the RSPCA. Can you travel. There are one or two in Essex, and as PR said, some rehome nationally. Brinsley bunnies are brilliant too!

Good luck in finding one. I wouldn't rush it. You're going to have the buns for the next 10 years...find the best match possible!

I'm in Cambridge. I wouldn't say we have any rabbit rescues here. (other than possibly the RSPCA. Can you travel. There are one or two in Essex, and as PR said, some rehome nationally. Brinsley bunnies are brilliant too!

Good luck in finding one. I wouldn't rush it. You're going to have the buns for the next 10 years...find the best match possible!

Wood Green? Rabbit residence? Rabbit residence is a dedicated rabbit rescue and Wood Green has a large small animals section :wave:

Last edited:
I can personally vouch for Wood Green. They are a fantastic rescue and a few years ago I went to a motorbike rally in the field next door which raised money for them. We walked around the rescue - the conditions were fantastic and the staff very caring and knowledgeable. They had many rabbits there waiting to be rescued.

AMETHYST

I can vouch for Rabbit Residence near Royston, spitting distance from Cambridge, Caroline is VERY dedicated to rabbit welfare and all her rabbits are pampered to the best of her and her volunteers ability!

She will make sure that your housing is correct and to at least the minimum recommendations (36 square foot 24/7 for small/medium sized bunnies) before she rehomes her rabbits, which she delivers personally.

Please do go to a rescue, either Wood Green or Rabbit Residence have lots of amazing rabbits and they will make sure that you fully understand what you are taking in (if you are new to bunnies).

You will of course have to adopt two unless you already have a bunny that you are trying to find a friend for.

In both cases, you will be given lots of good advice and be homechecked.

If you are looking to do the right thing, this is definitely the best approach.

If speed is what you are looking for, then you won't be able to adopt from a reputable rescue as the whole process cannot happen overnight.

Please do rescue - there are thousands of rabbits needing homes, and most are in rescue because the people that bought them from pet shops or breeders didn't know what they were taking on and 'got rid' of the rabbit very shortly thereafter.

I'm in a different part of the country at the moment but will be heading home tomorrow or Monday so will look at Wood Green, and the RSPCA.

You won't be disappointed :D but remember to give them plenty of time to settle in eg., a month or so.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Back