• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed....

VickyC83

Mama Doe
My bun isn't well. He doesn't seem interested in anything and only runs if we go to pick him up. He's house trained and has never had an accident, but tonight he keeps weeing out of his litter tray and laying in it. I've called emergency vets who thing it may be cystitis and was advised to take him to the vets tomorrow.

Has anyone got any other advice or experienced this?

Merlin had cycstitis and it is very painful for them. If I remember right he had antibiotics and metacam. Is bunny eating as Merlin stopped eating and I had to syringe feed him for about a week. Hope bunny's feeling better soon.

Awww is Merlin ok now?
Bunzle ate his food and cabbage this morning, but isn't touching anything now. I'm going to stay up with him just incase he needs to go to the vets during the night.

Awww is Merlin ok now?
Bunzle ate his food and cabbage this morning, but isn't touching anything now. I'm going to stay up with him just incase he needs to go to the vets during the night.

Merlin's fine now thanks. Hope you can tempt Bunzle with some food.

That's good, at least you'll be on hand for him :) no experience of it but could you try tempting him with some treats? Or a bit of veg or some herbs? I believe cranberry juice to be a natural help to this condition-but double check if it's ok for buns as i'm not sure.

Thanks you guys.
I've tried tempting him with treats but he won't budge. I"ve mixed some of his food pellets with hot water, going to let it cool down and syringe feed him some.
It's horrible when theyre suffering and can't tell you whats wrong :(

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keeping them eating is important. Just get to the vets ASAP. :(

As well as stomach and bladder etc, ask them to check his teeth if he's not eating. Also rabbits will not eat if they're in pain so whatever the verdict is from the vets, make sure they send you home with some pain killers as well as anything like antibiotics. Some vets don't do this but it's important. It will be something like Metacam.

Good luck, keep us updated and I hope everything goes well for him! :wave:

In situations like this I would suggest providing a heat source because its possible he was weeing and laying in it because the wee was hot and he was cold, and it gave him some warmth.

How is he this morning?

I am so sorry for not replying sooner.

Bunzle is doing great now :) finally got him back eating properly last weekend. The weeks he was poorly were the longest weeks of my life. I really thought I was losing him, he had 8 trips to the vets bless him.

He's developed a bit of a naughty streak since he's got better..... chewing EVERYTHING the lil ****** lol.

It was cystitis that he had.

Thanks again for asking!x

Me too, cos I don't want him to have it again.
The vet said I was very lucky and did a brill job at getting him back to health. It's awful watching them suffer :(

Back