• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this cruel??

Charlie is terrified of everything just tonight my mam was sweeping the stairs and he started getting scared and thumping. So as well all know bonfire night is 7 days away and I’m really stuck on what to do, Charlie and Delilah don’t have a cage, well they have an emergency tiny 4ft indoor cage but there’s no room in it, they have free roam of their bedroom with boxes with and entrance and exit but they never go in them.
So i was wondering if putting them in the cat carrier from 6 til 11 would keep them calm and safe or a large plastic box, Charlie really thumps and he could cause himself injury so it’s not an option to have him free roaming. I have lots of room under the stairs would they be good under there?

im afraid that fireworks tend to occour on more than jsut the one night and 4 hours in a carrier is possible but i would think more stressful if they werent used to it than being loose, why would the rabbit thumping cause injury to them? sorry if im misunderstanding?

im afraid that fireworks tend to occour on more than jsut the one night and 4 hours in a carrier is possible but i would think more stressful if they werent used to it than being loose, why would the rabbit thumping cause injury to them? sorry if im misunderstanding?

rabbits can break their spines due to thumping and we have wood flooring, charlies so nervous i cant leave him out, his heart rate goes up and nothing can calm him down it doesnt help that he isnt used to being handled either:roll: i know they set the fireworks off for this next week the odd fue bangs dont bother him but if it one after another he freaks out big style

also my little lola went 14 hours in her carrier on a road trip and it didnt bother her, it was all blacked out and she fell asleep.

never heard of a rabbit breaking its spine due to thumping before? i dont really see how you can stop them doing it they dont need much space to do it in. mine thump in carriers even?
still you know your rabbit best andd if he is generally calmer in a carrier then do it, its difficult as all rabbits react differently to the noise, mine tend to not mind but are all older now i try and insulate tehir hutches and have when they were younger brought them inside but personally found changing their enviroment more stressful than the fireworks. good luck in keeping your buns safe and happy. xx

never heard of a rabbit breaking its spine due to thumping before? i dont really see how you can stop them doing it they dont need much space to do it in. mine thump in carriers even?
still you know your rabbit best andd if he is generally calmer in a carrier then do it, its difficult as all rabbits react differently to the noise, mine tend to not mind but are all older now i try and insulate tehir hutches and have when they were younger brought them inside but personally found changing their enviroment more stressful than the fireworks. good luck in keeping your buns safe and happy. xx

I know one little bun that broke its spine due to thumping, you know i could always try the tiny cage which i think im going to do just for a fue hours under the stairs, its dark i can pad the whole cage with towels, make a safe end which is cardboard bit food and i will put the radio on to block out all of the noise. Lola wasnt one bit fussed last year and to be honest i could let a firework off in the house and she wouldnt budge :roll::lol:

Maybe you could also try some rescue remedy....a few folks have used this with their buns to help calm them...:)

I know one little bun that broke its spine due to thumping, you know i could always try the tiny cage which i think im going to do just for a fue hours under the stairs, its dark i can pad the whole cage with towels, make a safe end which is cardboard bit food and i will put the radio on to block out all of the noise. Lola wasnt one bit fussed last year and to be honest i could let a firework off in the house and she wouldnt budge :roll::lol:

bless them thats the problem isnt it each bun is so different, hope that your plan works, sorry to hear of the bun that died in that way i didnt mean to come accross patronising just that i hadnt previously heard of a bunny breaking its spine this way, i do hope your bunnies are ok maybe lola will bring comfort to him in his hours of need? a radio is a good idea as a distraction (provided they are used to hearing it in normal circumstances) maybe sitting near by and talking to them too? x

bless them thats the problem isnt it each bun is so different, hope that your plan works, sorry to hear of the bun that died in that way i didnt mean to come accross patronising just that i hadnt previously heard of a bunny breaking its spine this way, i do hope your bunnies are ok maybe lola will bring comfort to him in his hours of need? a radio is a good idea as a distraction (provided they are used to hearing it in normal circumstances) maybe sitting near by and talking to them too? x

not at all, i didnt believe my friend when she told me, her rabbit was thumping at some birds in the garden she went over to pick the rabbit up and she started to scream mind you she was an old bunny but it just scare me with charlie as all of our flooring is hard. I might stick lola next to him she likes him just not delilah im sure she will give him some kisses to keep him calm and i suppose its a good distraction too. Lola is such a funny rabbit im scared of thunder and lightenting but oh no last storm we had lola wanted to sit on the window shelf watch it:roll: im in all night with the buns with the telly on loud too so its not a problem talking to them, im 24-7 talking to them mind you:lol:

Is it possible to put them in a room where the firework noise is less? Are they bothered by the tv? As another option would be to put the tv on a bit loud (not blarring) so that it masks the firework noise.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong though :wave:) that a bunny would only break his spine from thumping if he had osteoporosis from lack of exercise or old age (in the case of your friend's bun). If your bunnies are normally free ranging they will be fit and healthy and you don't need to worry about that.

I would try and keep things normal to calm him and make sure he has plenty of dark places to hide - maybe the carrier without the door on? As someone has said the fireworks will be going off from now til new year unfortunately :(

I think (correct me if I'm wrong though :wave:) that a bunny would only break his spine from thumping if he had osteoporosis from lack of exercise or old age (in the case of your friend's bun). If your bunnies are normally free ranging they will be fit and healthy and you don't need to worry about that.

I would try and keep things normal to calm him and make sure he has plenty of dark places to hide - maybe the carrier without the door on? As someone has said the fireworks will be going off from now til new year unfortunately :(

This is what I thought too Nicola but I wasn't sure if it was osteoporosis or muscle wastage. Probably osteoporosis if that's what you remember too!

This is what I thought too Nicola but I wasn't sure if it was osteoporosis or muscle wastage. Probably osteoporosis if that's what you remember too!

Muscle wastage is obv a problem too in under-exercised buns but I think it would be the osteoporosis that would cause broken bones as it makes the bones weak and brittle :wave:

yes my friends bun was a very old little girl so its understandable, charlie is my little thumper so i know im always extra careful with his spine, i do worry rather large amounts:roll: but im sticking them either in the room with lola and telly on with low music on, i have a trick though im going to use one song maybe my favourite at the moment (firework katy perry how ironic:roll:) and everytime its on i will reward them with something so when it gets to friday they understand its fine and they are safe. Im putting a blanket over the cage too so they feel more secure. Im doing this with lola too just to keep her safe too:)

I'm unsure how completely restraining them would help, especially with the thumping. I would think providing more options to hide in, using flower rescue remedy, putting on something to mask the noise, etc, might be of more benefit to them.

We had a bunny break his back leg through stamping, but he was 11 and a half, so its a bit more understandable. I've not worried about any of my others and some of them can shake the whole house. I think, as long as your bunny is healthy, there shouldn't be a problem with him thumping. Remember, his body is designed to do it because its part of their communication system. Think of it like a person shouting, some people can't (for whatever reason), but those people are few and far between, the majority of people can shout fine. Yes they may have a scratched throat (or in a bunnies case a tender foot) but it heals quickly and causes no major problems.

why not put some rugs and cloths on the floor, and create a cosy den in case they want to hide? then they can run about or hide away as they please. one of mine was very upset by his first fireworks, but the other didn't mind at all, and now (they're three) they don't care a bit.

I'm unsure how much it applies to other buns, but my bun feels safe if it's somewhere dark & has several exits! Infact his favourite is under my dressing table with a material "skirt"! he can bolt out of the back both sides or the front.
He also likes my table protector rolled up into a tube as second place.
He didn't think much of my early attempts & chose his own places.:roll:

If you can find somewhere where the sound is less or perhaps dampen it down with a hay bed in the hidey hole it would help. Their hearing is incredibly sensitive & I suspect that very loud noises are painful for them.

Back