• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Holiday planning

catxx

Mama Doe
Following on from here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250570

Mum is in the process of getting hold of a temp hutch, this one:
http://www.thepetpads.co.uk/shop/rabbit-hutches-and-runs/the-lincoln---|8235/
Yep I know it's only a 3ft, they will NOT be closed into it, there's a gate in the bottom bit.

They will have run of her courtyard under the kitchen window and the hutch will be in the "woodshed". These are the only piccies I could find of the courtyard, took years ago, but gives you an idea!
5126784328_493d9cbfe8.jpg

The "woodshed" (they have a wood burning stove) you can see opposite the big kitchen window here:
5126180567_72eaab5a68.jpg

It was meant to have doors on it, hasn't happened though. It's a 7 bedroom cotswold house, a constant work in progress!

Hoping that works out. We arrive next Tuesday evening.

The only concern I have is the few plants she has out in the courtyard. There is clematis & vine on the wall. Ferns in the stones (now dying back). There's a big BIG Fatsia in a pot and a Choisya too. Are any of these very dangerous? My buns don't seem to eat what they shouldn't, not in my garden anyway. Pat does have a thing for dried leaves of anything though, but I can sweep up/cut back any of that.

If it doesn't work out I'll see if I can move them to the old stable, which is currently being used to over winter mum's plants and her neighbour's plants too! So mum isn't too keen at bunnies being near all those ;) She has HUNDREDS of pots.
5126809344_d4223ef7e3.jpg

Gosh, I'd be worried about the plants, although I don't know whether the ones you mention are poisonous or not. Unfortunately bunnies can't be trusted to know what greenery is safe to eat. I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you. Could any dangerous plants be moved/blocked off from potential bunny nibbling?

The ferns have pretty much died back for the winter. I could ask if something could be put across the front of the woodstore, so they can come and hop about in the courtyard under supervision instead.

Mum is moving several plants out, like all her pansies, the Fatsia and Choysia are too big to get through the door though!

I wonder if there is anything on the RWA website about plants that are poisonous to rabbits. For peace of mind you could post a thread with the names of the plants you are worried about - there are a few keen gardeners on the Forum who are bound to know. I hadn't even heard of Fatsia and Choysia! :oops: I have heard of a rabbit who made rather a feast of their owners pansies, so it as well they have been moved. ;)

Back