• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch with a moat!/waters have retreated - phew!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
It's lashing down with rain here, not unusual for this part of the world, but I'm beginning to worry the lower hutch might flood!:shock: It is raised on bricks, but the beginning of a moat has formed. I'm prayiing the rain stops soon, but if it doesn't I can block off the under-run tonight. I don't want to take Spenser's breakfast out tomorrow and find him paddling. My poor boy. :( I would bring him in, but have nowhere to put him so it would mean staying up all night. Trust this to happen when I'm on my own for the weekend.

Last edited:
He's nice and snug upstairs, isn't he? Block access to the run if you feel worried, but if it gets deep he probably won't want to go downstairs anyway.

Could you block off the bottom part to put your mind at ease? It would only for one night? hmm I dont know. Hope hes ok, stupid rain! :roll:

ETA: Blackberry beat me to it

I'd also suggest blocking off the bottom part of asking a neighbour if they could help you bring the hutch inside.

Can you move the hutch inside the house, god what a worry. xxx

I think the hutch weighs more than me - it's a Ryedale! It's also quite a distance from the house. I'm just going out to check on him, and probably to fit the trapdoor so that he stays on the upper level.

I think the hutch weighs more than me - it's a Ryedale! It's also quite a distance from the house. I'm just going out to check on him, and probably to fit the trapdoor so that he stays on the upper level.

Ahhh i see, what about a puppy pen so yyou could bring him in during the winter? then you could fold it away when its not in use. xx

Ahhh i see, what about a puppy pen so yyou could bring him in during the winter? then you could fold it away when its not in use. xx

I'd with lost without my dog crate for if the boys have to come in overnight.

If you can get Spenser used to toileting indoors it will make life much easier for you on nights like this.

I think right now the most locigal and less time consuming option would be to raise the hutch higher off the ground. My hutch is heavy too. I lift one corner at a time to raise mine, then slid a brick under each corner etc.

I can imagine over the next few years we'll be seeing rain more often considering England area is going to get colder and colder while spain gets warmer and warmer. So maybe it should be a long term thought too. I'm not keen on having the rabbit in the house either, it's not very practical in our home. So I'd raise the hutch :)

I'd with lost without my dog crate for if the boys have to come in overnight.

If you can get Spenser used to toileting indoors it will make life much easier for you on nights like this.

I find mine brilliant, they arent locked in it but its brilliant as a base or for when they are poorly and i dont want them dashing around. xxx

They fold, do they? :D Must look into getting one. He is now shut in the upper hutch, and not best pleased. :( The weather is sopposed to improve, so hopefully I'll be able to let him have the run of the whole hutch later on - I'm not an early bedder. For now, I think a choc ice is called for.

They fold, do they? :D Must look into getting one. He is now shut in the upper hutch, and not best pleased. :( The weather is sopposed to improve, so hopefully I'll be able to let him have the run of the whole hutch later on - I'm not an early bedder. For now, I think a choc ice is called for.

They are fab! mine was £50 i have a medium and a small. xx

Just been out and restored Spenser's access to the lower hutch, so he is much happier. :) I'll be putting the cover down shortly, but the forecast is better for tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be dry overnight. Got quite a nasty scare earlier.

Back