• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling

Indy

Warren Scout
Hey :)

Just curious really to see what others would do... Indy is fine with me stroking him in his hutch and is happy to be picked up (one hand behind front legs, one under his bum) and if hes held against my chest he'll sit there for ages quite happily...

I cleaned him out today and took him from his carrier to hutch and although he was fine to pick up as soon as i went to put him in his hutch he started to struggle (and left a nice racing stripe down my wrist, nice!)

Would you release them as soon as they start to struggle or wait until they stop? I kept hold of him in the end and as soon as he stopped i let go, gave him a stroke and he was completely normal. I know some hate being picked up, obviously he's only 12 weeks old and i dont want him to be afraid of being handled, but at the same time if i need to check him over or put him in the run he needs picking up?

My adult bun Rodge hates being handled but loves it when I lie down next to him & brush him. :love:

Orla is 4 months old now, she likes being picked up but theres days she struggles. I try my best to keep a firm but gentle hold on her as I dont want her thinking that if she struggles all the time, ill put her down. She soon calms down, just likes to push her luck! :lol:

My boys will not be picked up - if they are being taken anywhere they travel by carry case. They're such wrigglers that I feel that it's safer for them - I'd hate it if they fell and hurt themselves.

I could pick them up as babies, but now they are grown up they know their own minds :lol:

Spenser always starts to struggle as he nears the hutch - I have learnt always to have the hutch door open. I think they must have a 'I'm home' instinct that kicks in a little before they actually get there. I often use the carry case to minimise stress, but not always as I hope to reach a stage where Spenser will permit handling (esp. suring the summer so that I can check him for flystrike).

Thanks guys :) Ive been holding his food dish for him to eat from and he's happy to have me stroking him and putting my hand under his stomach so will just progress slowly i guess!:)

Thanks guys :) Ive been holding his food dish for him to eat from and he's happy to have me stroking him and putting my hand under his stomach so will just progress slowly i guess!:)

Neutering is good to calm them down too - makes for a much more relaxed bunny (and happier too) - not so eh...... frustrated...... shall we say!! :oops:

I think you did the right thing in keeping hold of him. If you let them go as soon as they struggle it reinforces their belief that if they struggle they will get away, if you keep holding them they learn that struggling is pointless (that's not to say he'll stop though!)

my buns don't really like being handled, I lure them in to a carrier and put them somewhere they're uncomfortable when I want to do things like clipping their claws.

Daisy seems to quite like a cuddle but i do put her down when she struggles because i feel mean - the cuddle is for my benefit :oops: Lucky isnt so keen on cuddles but will be picked up - he only struggles if he knows it's for a cwtch :lol:

BattleKat - i like your take on it - i can really see the reasoning behind that.

I don't think that was anything to do with being handled. I think, from what you said, that was to do with him seeing his hutch and wanting to be in it. The majority of bunnies do this because its their safe place, their home.

Awesome, thanks guys :) He comes up and gives my hand a good nudge when i open his hutch so at least he's fairly pleased to see me! He gives my hand a nudge if i stop stroking him at the moment :D

Reggie doesn't like to be picked up. If he struggles too much I usually have to put him down as he twists in very funny positions but if he just wriggles a bit I just hold him tighter. He us now getting a bit better because being picked up now equals rewards- either he gets picked up to play in the run or back in the hutch and today he was even more excited as I brought him in fir the evening

My two will struggle if they are close to the ground but generally not if they're higher up - perhaps they know they could fall? If they think I am going to pick them up, they will always try to get away.

Back