• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice and vibes needed for Ellie :(

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Sorry for the long post.

Ellie lost alot of weight literally overnight a few weeks ago.
She was put on metacam and was given recovery food and she managed to put on weight. She was diagnosed with spurs on her teeth and had a dental. She had spurs on all of her molars and they were all removed. This was about 2 weeks ago.

She gained weight initially then started losing it again. Not as rapidly as before but she is still losing weight. She should be 2.5kg and has dropped to 1.8kg :(

Went back to the vets today. He had a good look at her and agreed that she was alot skinnier than before :( He has told me that with her symptoms (peeing/drinking alot and seeming to be uncomfortable) that it sounds like kidney problems.

He said the only way to know for definate is through blood work. He said he doesnt want to do that straight away because it is quite expensive (although money is no object when it comes to my animals) and also that if it was her kidneys there's not much chance of being able to do anything about it :(
She has had a shot of anti-biotics (Betamox) and he's given me some metacam to give her (0.4mls a day). This is just incase it is an infection. She's going back on monday for another injection of the anti-biotics but it doesnt sound like its going to be a happy outcome :cry:
If all this fails im getting her bloods done just so i know what is wrong with her even if we cant treat it.

She has now been sperated from Fiver (in her cage but in the same room as him) They can see each other and sniff through the bars. I've given her a constant supply of pellets and hay. Vet said try to let her rest and not expend too much energy as she's on the brink of basically running out of energy :(

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm honestly at a loss for what to do :(

Please send her lots and lotsa of vibes :'(

such a worry sending lots of vibes
P1000536-1.jpg

thankyou everyone :(

I'm feel so helpless because i really can't think of how to do any more than what im doing for her now :(

She's clearly unhappy and its breaking my heart. She hasnt been bunny flopping (and she was the queen of bunny flops) or binkying or anything and even Fiver seems to know somethings wrong coz he seems quiet also :( He is perfectly healthy of course just seems worried :(

So sorry Ellie is so poorly. I'd feel the same as you about having the blood tests done, I'd just want to know, even if it was bad news. Lots and lots of vibes for her getting better xxx

I have no experience or advice but a LOT of vibes for Ellie, so sending them your way. Hope she gets better xx

Hi :wave: I'm going through a very similar situation at the minute. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=252145 Jasmine has lost 40% of her body weight practically overnight. Her teeth are fine and I haven't noticed her drinking more than normal but she is eating/pooing fine.

My vet suggested separating her, which is something I personally didn't want to do. I am separating her at feeding time and I am getting some blood work done asap although he also advised me to wait.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but just to let you know I'm going through something similar. I'll let you know when I get her results back in case it gives you ideas.

Is she pooing and eating as normal?

Sending lots and lots of vibes xxxx

Thankyou.

She has been pooing and eating ok but today she seems so much worse. She is sitting hunched up looking very uncomfortable. her stomach is all hard and full of gas. Been giving her massages which has made her belly make some noises and also "pop" as i squish the gas :(

It's really not good but she is eating her hay and pooing and she has metacam so she shouldnt be in too much pain. I feel so helpless :(

I hope Jasmine gets better Nicola. :( It's awful when a bunny is sick especially when there's no obvious cause. I'd love it if you kept me posted about her blood work and her progress, i think it would help.

I personally think im going to lose my Ellie :( :cry: im so so upset and stressed out. I wish i could do more for her :cry:

It sounds as if you are doing everything you can. Hopefully she will feel better if the gas can be dislodged. I don't know what causes gas in a bunny? Eating and pooing are surely good signs, although I do sympathise as I know what it is like to look at a much-loved but very uncomfortable bunny. Continuing to send vibes.

thankyou for the vibes everybody.

I'm sending plenty her way too. im torn between bringing her down here so i can keep an eye on her and just leaving her in peace in her cage. I know she doesn't particuarly like being locked up but its better that way so i can moniter her poo's.

Do you think it would help to give her some veg? Could help to dislodge the gas maybe. I dont know :(

thankyou for the vibes everybody.

I'm sending plenty her way too. im torn between bringing her down here so i can keep an eye on her and just leaving her in peace in her cage. I know she doesn't particuarly like being locked up but its better that way so i can moniter her poo's.

Do you think it would help to give her some veg? Could help to dislodge the gas maybe. I dont know :(

Moving her to a different location might help. I know Spenser's recent stasis was a much more straightforward illness, but he did seem to perk up and started moving about when I took him into the living room. We had to take turns in waiting up all night with him because it was impossible to bunny-proof the room!

haha yeh i might bring her down then. She likes this room. And i don't want her to get stasis on top of everything else. With her sitting hunched up it wont help her gut movements :(

ok gunna bunny proof the room (as much as i can) and bring her and Fiver down so they can have snuggles.

Getting her running about if you can should help her i think as it will get her gut moving

She seems alot brighter. Her stomach is still feeling quite hard but not as hard and gassy as before. She is now munching hay and exploring the room instead of sitting hunched up in one corner. Hopefully the hay will also help to get everything working. I dont want her to expend too much energy since she's so underweight.

Lol she just tried to peel the wallpaper so she must be feeling better.

Sounds like she is feeling perkier. I see your point about not wanting her to use up too much energy, but in the short-term it will surely help her (and you!) to sort out the gas in her tummy. It's good that she is still eating in the differnt location - that was my problem with Spenser. Wouldn't eat or poo until he went back to the hutch at 7.30am, but we had been advised to keep him in overnight because he was so poorly.

Back