• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling down about the buns..

katie2000

Alpha Buck
They HATE each other :(

I have had them side by side since Pipkins dental and tried introducing them this afternoon.

I have had horrible aggression from both of them with tails up, growling, boxing, circling, chasing and biting. They will not tolerate each other at all :(

Blackberry got a scratch on her lip so I have given up and put them both back in seperate pens. I am now sitting on my sofa feeling sorry for myself and the buns.

Sorry this is a self pitying post more than anything but at this stage I can't imagine them ever getting along again and I am dreading the next introduction

I'm so sorry. :( I've no experience, but have read that it often takes a lot of time and patience. Maybe you should post in 'behaviour and bonding' to get more expert replies.

I feel your pain hun.

I've got two rabbits (not been introduced yet) and they box at each other through the bars. I am hopeful that they will bond and am going to try in a few weeks but I have this awful feeling in the bottom of my stomach that I'm going to end up in your situation. Making me unbelievably stressed!

I feel your pain hun.

I've got two rabbits (not been introduced yet) and they box at each other through the bars. I am hopeful that they will bond and am going to try in a few weeks but I have this awful feeling in the bottom of my stomach that I'm going to end up in your situation. Making me unbelievably stressed!

Mine are boxing through the bars too, its just horrible of them. Don't worry though because I have seen buns do this and then bond really well so fingers crossed that it goes this way for you.

I just feel rubbish that this is the 3rd time I have been in this situation:

Bond 1 went amazingly well - only some slight mounting but mainly snuggles.
Bond 2 - I stupidly seperated them for the vets and bond broke down completely - tooks 3 weeks to rebond.
Bond 3 - current bond and going BADLY!

I hate bonding!! Done a couple of pen swaps this evening and starting again with the introductions in the morning

Are you introducing them on neuteral territory?

Yes I am although I am very quickly running out of neutral territory. I would quite like to find somewhere different for tomorrows "date" since todays introduction went so badly.

few things to ask, 1. are both neutered?
2. are they being introduced in an area where neither has been before ie neutral and 3.how big is the enclosure you are using to bond,

ohh and do ensure any waterbottles bows and food etc are also neutralised using white vinegar,

it could be they arent compatible but it could be the way in which the bonding is being done i found scattering food helped as it gave a distraction from the initial confrontation. x

Yes I am although I am very quickly running out of neutral territory. I would quite like to find somewhere different for tomorrows "date" since todays introduction went so badly.
is there ar rescue who could try and do it for you ? how bg a space are you using to bond? x

After Peter's last dental he had to spend one week away from the girls. They hated each other at first, so I put them in my massive outdoor run and gave them lots of distractions (toys, food and treats) and watched them.

After showing off and trying to show who was boss for about 30 mins they decided to be friends. They went back into the cage afterwards and have got over their little arguments! ;)

Good luck.

Aww hun, I found bonding worked better when I kept the bunnies completely separately. You are in North Shields right? Let me know if you'd like some moral support or help or if you want to bring them here to bond so it's completely neutral :wave:

few things to ask, 1. are both neutered?
2. are they being introduced in an area where neither has been before ie neutral and 3.how big is the enclosure you are using to bond,

ohh and do ensure any waterbottles bows and food etc are also neutralised using white vinegar,

it could be they arent compatible but it could be the way in which the bonding is being done i found scattering food helped as it gave a distraction from the initial confrontation. x

They are both neutered (boy and girl) and the enclosure I was using was small pen at the bottom of the stairs probably around 2ft sq which seems tiny but I am happy to reduce if people think it should be smaller?

Not got round to the introduction of food or water bowls yet :oops: but have the white vinegar handy for tomorrows session if it lasts longer than about 5mins this time!

Aww hun, I found bonding worked better when I kept the bunnies completely separately. You are in North Shields right? Let me know if you'd like some moral support or help or if you want to bring them here to bond so it's completely neutral :wave:

Thank you :) Yes I am in north shields. If tomorrows bond goes terribly then I am contemplating seperating completely for a week or so and then doing a re-introduction after that. How stressful!!

Thank you :) Yes I am in north shields. If tomorrows bond goes terribly then I am contemplating seperating completely for a week or so and then doing a re-introduction after that. How stressful!!

Aww how stressful. So funny the things that make them fall out. Let me know if you need me for the reintroduction :wave:

ETA I'm nicolatervit btw just changed my username!! :lol:

Aww how stressful. So funny the things that make them fall out. Let me know if you need me for the reintroduction :wave:

ETA I'm nicolatervit btw just changed my username!! :lol:

I didn't even notice :lol: Think I just recognised your buns and presumed it was you hehe.

Thank you - that is very kind! You may get a desperate facebook message at some point in the future :wave:

I didn't even notice :lol: Think I just recognised your buns and presumed it was you hehe.

Thank you - that is very kind! You may get a desperate facebook message at some point in the future :wave:

:lol::lol: just didn't want you to think I was some weirdo stalker!

No worries :wave: I'm no expert or anything but I've bonded a couple of groups now so can help a bit :)

Back