• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly is frantically nesting - how can I help?

VickyL

Warren Scout
Poor Molly has been frantically building a nest - its funny at first but it is then quite distressing to see how frantic she is about it. She is unspayed and I know I should have her operated on but my first bunny, Sam, died under anaesthetic being neutered so I am really reticent to do that. Is there anything i can do to relieve her need - she is completely flaked out now as she has been so busy all morning.:?

Sadly this is a hormonal problem which can only be resolved by neutering.

The best thing you can do is to find a rabbit savvy vet and get them neutered. If you ask about on here you may be able to find a vet which is experienced which will greatly reduce the risk which is low in health rabbits when neutered by a competent vetinarian.

Thanks Janice - not what I wanted to hear but I think I knew it already. Is there any sort of calming drops or relaxing things I can do to take the edge of it. Have you any idea how long it will go on? I dont want to run and get her spayed immediately as she has only recently bonded with Harry. I really appreciate any help:?

Right now all you can do is provide her with lots of hay, but this will probably happen regularly until she is spayed. Don't disrupt the nest, she will dismantle it when she is done.

How long ago was Harry neutered? I think it will be his presence that has created this. Be aware that there is every likelihood they could fight right now because of her surging hormones.

I'm trusting there is no chance at all she could be pregnant? (i.e. that she wasn't put with Harry until he was over 6 weeks after his neuter, or any other male rabbit that could have made her pregnant?)

We got Harry from rescue on 19 September and he had been neutered on 9 August - its tight but for the first few weeks we had them, they were in adjacent cages with supervised play time so I would say the chance that she is pregnant is very tiny.

Should I separate them again until this has passed?

How long will it last?

I think Harry is aware that something is up as he is quite nervous and keeping his distance.

Should I separate them again until this has passed? No, try to avoid doing this at all costs, as otherwise you will need to rebond them later. They will require additional supervision

How long will it last? all rabbits are different, should be only a matter of a few days, a week at the very longest.

I would get her booked in with in the next month for neutering, when you take her, her partner should go along with her so that they can spend the elast time apart.

thank you so much for your help - i think we may be coming to the end of the nesting as she has started to let me stroke her again (without rushing on past with "im too busy to be snuggled, I just have so much to do") - ill contact the rescue centre as they had recommendations for vets they used - its further from home but i dont want to take any chances.

thanks again

Back