• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

your views?

Do indoor rabbits get more exercise than outdoor rabbits?
My vets suggested i put my buns outside for exercise in a run, but they have the full run of the house. It just seems to me they have so much more exercise indoor rather than outdoors, and another factor for me is the rabbits would get no exercise outdoors if the weather was bad:?

Depends if they are freerange indoors 24/7 or not if so, then they probably do.

Mine are bar lola who gets put to bed at 11pm each night shes into everything and its too much of a risk letting her play by herself, shes back out at 7 and if she was outdoors she would only get a couple of hours playing

I think for outdoor rabbits to get offered the same amount of exercise then they would need an enormous attached run plus a good deal of freerange time.

Ok, rabbits do sleep a lot of the time but I like Louie to be able to have the choice of mad dashing around whenever he wants!

Mine don;t really exercise anywhere....they spend most of the time asleep indoors (free range) and if they go outside then they just stuff their faces and go to sleep (they have a10x4 pen for outside)

i have a hard standing area to the back and a tiny front garden full of plants that i dont know are poisonous or not so its too much of a risk, plus charlie and lola are scared of every noise outside. Lola was born a house bunny so i can understand why shes not keen on playing out, she has her mad bursts around the house and loves sitting on the sofa:lol:

My 4 are outside, and get run of the shed for exercise at night and on bad days. When it's a nice day they go in the run. :) Occasionally I bring them inside but my house isn't bunny proofed so it's not good for them. ;) It's up to you, you are the one who knows your rabbits best! :D

Depends on set ups and the owner really. An outdoor set up could be bigger than an indoor one and some people might have an indoor set up thats bigger than an outdoor one. Free range time would come into it too. Mine tend to just sleep when I bring them in the house, free ranging in the garden they definitely get more exercise because they run around. Mine still free range outside in bad weather, but I don't mind standing in the cold during winter. It would have to be really heavy rain for mine not to play outside

I love it when I open up the door for the buns to freerange and they just stay still going "um, no you're alright thanks, I'm quite happy over here"

Back