• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tests for Uterine Cancer

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone was able to tell me if there are any blood tests for uterine cancer in rabbits?
I know there are ultrasounds and X-rays but if it's a tiny bunny then these might not show conclusive evidence. If the rabbit reacts very negatively to anesthetic then is there any other less intrusive tests that can be done?
Thanks

I don't believe there is.

I would suspect that by the time its showing up in blood tests it would have spread, for example, to the liver.

I would love for someone to correct me though and tell me I'm wrong.

Uterine cancer is a silent killer, usually by the time any symptoms have appeared, the disease process will be widespread.

Ultrasound and x-ray may show that there is an abnormality however invasive surgery is the only conclusive means of a positive diagnosis.

Neutering is the only means of prevention which is best done at an early age.

If you have a vet with the facilities to do laparoscopy then that can give a diagnosis without being as invasive as surgery. The vet makes a small hole in the abdomen and inserts an endoscope so that they can have a look around inside. There is a video on the homepage of the rabbit surgery link in my signature. The bun in this one had quite advanced uterine cancer, all of the white patches are the bits of tumour that have spread :(

Ultrasonography, palpation and surgical intervention are the best ways to detect uterine masses.
Blood tests are not available
Ultrasonography is noninvasive and can be carried out conscious so is rarely contra-indicated.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I thought there might not be but was hoping against hope for something that didn't involve anesthetic. Thanks again,
X

Ultrasound can be done conscious and when my available had her tumours I consented to have her X-ray conscious I work in the vet and was present but I'm sure if there is a reason against ga a solution could be arranged it all depends on how inventive your vet is

Back