• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long can outdoor buns be inside

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
during the day if the heating is off and they are in the coldest room (kitchen with ceramic tiles) :wave:
If it rains my pair refuse to go outside :roll: and it's going to rain alot this year :lol: I'm not happy for them to spend most of thier time stuck in thier huth :?

Sorry, don't know ... but I'm interested in the answer so giving this an interested bump! I expect it will depend on how different indoor and outdoor temps are. I have Spenser in just now and the heating off - I honestly don't think it's that much colder outside than in. Come January, it will be a different story.

I let Bramble hop in and out of the house if the heating is off, but when it's on I think it is too much of a change in temprature for him.

I have always had my buns in for a few hours in the evenings (normally from 6 pm to 10pm) even in winter. They never seem bothered by it but I know others on here would advise not to do it. But if I didn't I wouldn't ever see them working as I do 7.30 to 17.00 during the week. :?

I have always had my buns in for a few hours in the evenings (normally from 6 pm to 10pm) even in winter. They never seem bothered by it but I know others on here would advise not to do it. But if I didn't I wouldn't ever see them working as I do 7.30 to 17.00 during the week. :?

That's interesting. I guess what is 'right' does vary a bit depending on circumstances, and perhaps your buns are OK with it because it is 'normal' for them.

Indeed. Gasket used to sit out in all weathers though, even snow and hail! Indoors he wouldn't care about going somewhere cooler like downstairs, if I was upstairs he'd want to be with me. My buns now have a nice kennel which should keep them nice and snug and I've got a snuggle safe heat pad for them in case it ges really cold (not that they really need it though!). Besides, if you think about it, cats will go out and spend a equal amount of time indoors in winter. But as I say, that's my reasoning and for me it seems like the only practical option to spend time with them since we don't have room to keep them as full time house buns. I'm not saying anyone should do the same as me.

When I got my two I looked into this and the advice I was given was.... if they're out they're out and if they're in they're in - in winter time. That was from the nice lady on the helpline at RWA, and my vet and the (ahem) breeder (ahem) I got them from. (I'll rescue next time I promise - I didn't know any better last year!) So I stick to that. I can however open my back door and let them run in and out of the kitchen and hall, leaving the door open. I freeze but the buns can exercise in the cold and dry! If I couldn't do this for them I would bring them in to spend the winter.

When I got my two I looked into this and the advice I was given was.... if they're out they're out and if they're in they're in - in winter time. That was from the nice lady on the helpline at RWA, and my vet and the (ahem) breeder (ahem) I got them from. (I'll rescue next time I promise - I didn't know any better last year!) So I stick to that. I can however open my back door and let them run in and out of the kitchen and hall, leaving the door open. I freeze but the buns can exercise in the cold and dry! If I couldn't do this for them I would bring them in to spend the winter.

I've been told the same too.

And as for not knowing any better this time last year - it's the same with me - learnt sooooo much from here. :thumb:

I think this is an interesting thread, especially as a lot of people will want to bring in buns for a few hours due to fireworks,

When I got my two I looked into this and the advice I was given was.... if they're out they're out and if they're in they're in - in winter time.

This is what I thought, but with fireworks, dark nights etc, would it be possible if a bunny was put back in his/her hutch with a Snugglesafe?

we will need to bring Ste's moms male bun in for a few nights when he gets his bits chopped off.. our kitchen is quite cool but not cold (no space at her house, plus a killer cat lives there).. will he lose his winter coat? we dont want to take him from the group for too long or they may forget him, so an in over winter is 100% a no no :( currently hes in his own hutch but still in the main enclosure.

how many people get a bun neutured in Novemeber and leave them out even tho its recommended they come inside??

dont want to get this wrong, they expect me to know what im doing being the rabbit girl :?

All 4 of mine will be out this winter. bramble has his mansion lol with snuggle safe for the really cold nights and Buddy and the 2 girls are in the hutches in the shed at night and the runs in the day. I only took buddy in last year cos he was really ill with his snuffles but he stayed in the utility room where there is no heating so was coldish in their.

The only time the bunnies are inside is when Bramble is having his free time in the garden and decides to come into the house to check on everyone. normally then goes and lies at the front door. he looks like one of the draft exluder things my nan used to have. lol

Back